Who's in charge?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
James C

#21 Post by James C »

Ttuuxxx, just wait for the response in a bit.......

ecomoney

#22 Post by ecomoney »

Its best if I dont encourage people who continually breach the forum code of conduct. People who cant keep to that shouldnt even be on here.

heres my "logical response".

-I contributed quite a bit to 4.2 - bug reports, feature suggestions, feedback, and a fully-functional working office suite and web-browser as add ons. Read the development threads its all there. What I contributed works.

-knowledge of "breaking" any of puppies backend, and informing the co-ordinator structure is the job of a lead developer.

-Programs should only be included if they have been tested. They need compiling before they can be tested. The co-ordinator doesnt need to compile, just check if the package has been tested before including. This requires organizational skills.

-Functionality and Stability are mutually exclusive

-Printing/word processing/wireless are not "tiny things" to the majority of puppy users.

-Being able not to annoy others and work as part of a team is an important skill Ttuxxx

I believe who is "in charge" would be a topic of interest to those who it most effects.....puppies users. Perhaps this thread should be moved there in order to be more transparent. Its important to get some contribution from more than just the usual contributors on this matter.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

ttuuxxx

#23 Post by ttuuxxx »

ecomoney wrote:
-I contributed quite a bit to 4.2 -
bug reports, You made threats in PM's and put down people trying there hardest, something to be proud of?? lol

feature suggestions, For your clients at end, pretty much selfish reasoning.

feedback, You meant to say complaints and very few praises
fully-functional working office suite and web-browser as add ons. LOL that wasn't work 4.2, it didn't even get put into the repo because its over twice the size of the distro, Do you really think you did that for 4.2 or did you share some of client based software? I still have a older firefox 2 series,flash,java on package on puppy linux ca that auto updates to 2.20 also, he I might as well say I did that for 4.2 also, lol come on, That precompiled Office suite you lifted from sourceforge all you did with that is extract it into a folder and typed in a terminal dir2sfs lol and thats it. It took me longer to type about it than it took you to package it.

Read the development threads its all there. What I contributed works. Yes it works because you take other peoples compiled packages that are already know to work fine, you put them into a directory and make a pet or sfs out of it, well if I waited for everybody else to do it for me and just repackage everything thing puppy would have about a min 300 less packages working, and out of maybe 300 That I've compiled, not just repackaged and called my own,lol that maybe less than 10 worked out of the box, hence why I don't really test them all that much, If I click on the bin or the menu item and it works, usually thats good enough, then its up to the general public to report back, so I spend my time bringing newer software to puppy. and come back and work on any of the bugs if need be.

-knowledge of "breaking" any of puppies backend, and informing the coordinator structure is the job of a lead developer. Not really If you've been reading yesterday I figured out that when you build gtk it makes a CUPS plugin based on your installed CUPS version, Now keep that in mind, most didn't know that, usually when you build a system, gtk is compiled before CUPS, but basically it would be best to build GTK first, then CUPS, then Replace GTK again the CUPS plugin, WhoDo knows this now, But say we get another new developer say tomorrow and 6 months down the road he wants to be coordinator without that previous knowledge learned as WhoDo has learned, who would be better off? I would say WhoDo. Well there is a lot of learning as you go and seasoned coordinators are really the best option, next option is a developer/packager that knows the ins and outs, you can't just take any joe and make him coordinator, Thats plain stupid. Being around a build from start to finish is someone you need.

-Programs should only be included if they have been tested. They need compiling before they can be tested. The co-ordinator doesnt need to compile, just check if the package has been tested before including. This requires organizational skills. Thats not the coordinator's job at all, Thats the testers job, you know the one you failed at, lol, The coordinator has enough things to do, do you really think a coordinator has time to do that, During 4.2 I summited over 100 packages including updates, So its up to WhoDo to test all those fully? your off your meds or something.

-Functionality and Stability are mutually exclusive

-Printing/word processing/wireless are not "tiny things" to the majority of puppy users.
Puppy has never a true final release, really the best puppy version ever made was Beta quality, having printing and word processing/wireless not working still puts that release a beta, it would be alpha quality if it crashed frequently, and since its still good for daya to day task its a beta, When did any main puppy versions not have any bugs, think back, full screen either on youtube or gxine, or had printing issues with somebody, and also it was only the MS import feature on abiword that did work right, you still could type and save and reopen documents.

-Being able not to annoy others and work as part of a team is an important skill Ttuxxx, Well as long as they go with the flow I'm fine, If they try to take things away from me, I'll respond the way I feel, I won't hold back. Stress is one thing I don't keep in, I'll live longer not having it bottled up inside, so if you piss me off, 100% money back guarantee you'll here about it ASAP!

I believe who is "in charge" would be a topic of interest to those who it most effects.....puppies users. Perhaps this thread should be moved there in order to be more transparent. Its important to get some contribution from more than just the usual contributors on this matter. What was that a silent jab, nice one
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

tronkel

#24 Post by tronkel »

OK, I'm convinced now. I vote for Ttuuxxx as the co-ordinator and developer for the next main Puppy version.

Reason?

He has got the priorities exactly right. 8)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

sikpuppy

#25 Post by sikpuppy »

ecomoney wrote:Its best if I dont encourage people who continually breach the forum code of conduct. People who cant keep to that shouldnt even be on here.
(My underline).

How many times can the code be breached before it is considered continual? Is there a limit to how long one can wait before they decide to breach again? (hours, days, weeks...) Does the end justify the means?

At this time the moderation policy seems to be to treat posters as adults. The trouble is that stagnancy of moderation allows people to act like children, it's very much like a session in federal parliament.

The speaker of the house calls order, and warns people. However if there is continual warning and the speaker still does nothing, the house falls into disarray.
ASUS A1000, 800Mhz PIII Coppermine!, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb IBM Travelstar HDD, Build date August 2001.

WhoDo

#26 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:-I contributed quite a bit to 4.2 - bug reports, feature suggestions, feedback, and a fully-functional working office suite and web-browser as add ons. Read the development threads its all there. What I contributed works.
What you contributed was AFTER the event; i.e. after the release of 4.2

What you contributed DOESN'T work, if the thread announcing it is something to go by - numerous posters declaring serious problems with your self-proclaimed "Mature, stable, enhanced and *very* well tested browser package", like "I get an error when I try to install"(sic). So much for "*very* well tested", eh?
ecomoney wrote:-Programs should only be included if they have been tested.
In an open source, volunteer developer project like Puppy that is just utter nonsense. The only way such programs get tested is precisely by including them in Alpha, Beta and RC versions. As I have pointed out before, Barry has even resorted to releasing a "Final" in order to get it properly tested and knowing full well that a point1 update would follow when the testing was completed.
ecomoney wrote:-Functionality and Stability are mutually exclusive
Huh? IOW you are saying there is can never be any such thing as a functional and stable OS, or application, or device driver, etc.? I bet there's a rider in there that your definition of "Functionality" and "Stability" apply but you just forgot to tell the rest of us!
ecomoney wrote:-Printing/word processing/wireless are not "tiny things" to the majority of puppy users.
No they are not, which is why Puppy is so popular. For must users in most circumstances these things "just work" in Puppy - including 4.2 - and so they should given the amount of effort the devs here put into making that happen.

Does that mean those things necessarily work for ALL users in ALL circumstances? Of course not! No operating system on earth does that! In the realm of Linux the anecdotal evidence is that Puppy does it better than most, AND if the devs are left to enjoy their hobby instead of being harassed over non-existent "bugs" that reputation will continue to grow and improve.
ecomoney wrote:-Being able not to annoy others and work as part of a team is an important skill Ttuxxx
ummmm....if you know that, why do you apparently find it so difficult?
ecomoney wrote:I believe who is "in charge" would be a topic of interest to those who it most effects.....puppies users. Perhaps this thread should be moved there in order to be more transparent. Its important to get some contribution from more than just the usual contributors on this matter.
Moved where? This thread is in the main forum accessible to all, not hidden in sub-forum under New Puppy Development! BTW, I noticed that you posted what you obviously perceive is your own CV as a position description for coordinator above. Tch, tch, tch. Talk about naked ambition! Put some clothes on, Rob, for pity's sake! :roll:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

01micko

#27 Post by 01micko »

ecomoney

I do not wish to attack you. You, as I see it, are a necessary evil. :twisted: (sorry Warren, but if it wasn't him it would probably be someone else, however, possibly in a different manner).

There were what? 4 alphas? 4 betas? 4 RCs? Then final. (shoot me if I'm wrong) :lol:

Rob, where were your reports on all these?

You were busy setting up alphas in internet cafes accross GB.

Then we come to the video your father is (was?) going to make. Yeah, my suggestion, I even went into bat for you. Maybe ttuuxxx should have made it. It was only to show off trio's Tv widget, a small add on to stock 4.2 (apologies ttuuxxx and trio :wink: )

Lobster made one.

Yes, yes, I know I said I would work on an ICS for puppy but it is a little beyond my capabilities at the moment, however, I still intend to learn and then do. Hopefully, people around here will help me, there are countless who already have, and, due to that help I can overcome almost any obstacle in Puppy.

Why is that?

Why do people help me?

I make a lot of noise around here. People may think I'm obnoxiuos. So beit. I don't think for them. I cop it on the chin. I speak my mind, and may have even hurt some feelings, but never on a personal level. In a personal direction , maybe, but not directly. And usually it is constructive. Anything I've said derogatory is general, check all of my 1500 or so posts if you want. I'd say half are helpful, technical, or inquisitive posts. The other half either political or fun.

Yeah quote the "Derryn Hinch" one if you want, but be fair and leave the link. I won't edit it.

I like what you're doing Rob, the cafes and such, but do you think there might be a better way to go about things?

Cheers

Mick
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ecomoney

#28 Post by ecomoney »

01micko wrote:do you think there might be a better way to go about things?
I am a Puppy Linux Tester. I do it because I take pride in contributing to the best puppy linux possible, to the best of my abilities. I like other contributors - am proud when I do it for free, and I am prouder when my contribution is recognized and valued by others around me on and off the forum.

My job is to discover problems, and pass them onto those with the skills to solve them. In this case, since this is a "political" thread, its my role to point out there is a problem, and how big a problem. Up to the readers to research and verify the information posted above and below for its truth and accuracy.

Its not my job to continually repost answers to existing questions from the same people all over this information all over the forum (That is what the user support people in "beginners help" do). This is not the place for it and that would only detract from the important issue being discussed here.

Im only here to point out there is a problem, and its obviously a big one.

Whodo, as Project co-ordinator and person ultimately responsible for 4.2, I consider a great recognition that you name me as the person responsible for pointing out the single root cause of all the problems in Puppy DeepThought 4.2.x, and I give you great recognition for ensuring (with your resignation) that they are not repeated in future releases. I hope you will take the time now to reflect, and adjust.

Now that Ive identified the cause and the bugs are now rectified, would you also discharge me from the duties you made me responsible for. Puppy is not a hobby to me it is a Mission
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Pizzasgood

#29 Post by Pizzasgood »

When using the name feature of the quote tag, you need to actually put quotation marks around the name or it doesn't work right.

---------------------

My style of moderation is largely hands-off. When I do moderate, attempt to do so with words. I consider my moderator-buttons last resorts. I've been itching to use them lately... not a good sign. If things start getting worse again, I intend to moderate with significantly less moderation.

But like I said, I think the bulk of the trouble is over, and we're just caught up in the leftover cloud of hostility. Using my buttons would probably do more harm than good at this point. So let's give words another shot.

One thing that will help the hostility dissipate is if everybody follows these very simple guidelinse:

If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

If what you have to say has already been said recently, then don't say it.

(I'm not just referring to posting about known bugs here - one of the big annoyances we had during 4.2's development was people complaining repeatedly about the same thing/things (unrelated to bugs).)

I think that if we can follow those guidelines, things will become much more friendly.
Last edited by Pizzasgood on Tue 28 Apr 2009, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

ComputerBob

#30 Post by ComputerBob »

Pizzasgood wrote:If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.
[color=red][b]Computer[/b][/color][color=blue][b]Bob[/b][/color].com - Making Geek-Speak Chicâ„¢
News, Views, Information, Software, Help & Fun - Every Day
[url=http://www.computerbob.com][b]ComputerBob.com[/b][/url]

raffy

say it

#31 Post by raffy »

@tronkel - Yes, ttuuxxx got the priorities right, and he is qualified by the first criterion. But someone has to cover for his fiery temper, probably a fish who is aways cool in the water. LOL. Or anyone of the posters above, except...

@ecomoney - _______________________________________________

iscraigh

#32 Post by iscraigh »

I don't post much or comment on the political things but it seems to me we have possibly lost a very good coordinator due to childish behavior.
Arms length opinions

4.2 is as stable a most previous versions of puppy some bugs but largely very good. A quick search of the forums fixed my printer issues, on the other hand i can not get my video card to work properly in Kubuntu (how dare they release an imperfect product :))

ecomoney Thumbs up for pointing out some bugs way to go
Thumbs down for personally attacking...well several people.

ttuuxx Always enjoy your packages although sometimes you and Rob have a similar approach and make things personal.

Whodoo Stay on stay above the abuse and second guessing.
a lot of us in the silent majority appreciate your hard work in coordinating the development team.

Pizzasgood.. moderate more in fact delete this message if it is at all inappropriate

Thanks to the devoted and passionate devolopers.

Craig

Nathan F

#33 Post by Nathan F »

just so long as I'm not forced to read through 25 pages of extraneous bull$^&t before I can make any sense of it.
I come back at the first opportunity and we're already up to 3 pages. Will it be six tommorrow?
I applaud Pizzasgood for locking one extremely nasty and non-productive thread. I also applaud his decision not to delete it. I sincerely hope that he doesn't have to repeat that action, but I've seen more of the same in several other threads so I imagine he will.
I regret posting the first message in this thread already. I just wanted some info, somewhere to start should I decide to dive back into Puppy luv at some point. Now we have another pissing match again and I feel somewhat responsible for providing the excuse to get it started.

I've been gone a long time. I don't know a lot of you, and I'm sure many of you don't remember me either. I didn't exactly leave by choice. My circumstances got so out of control that I had (and still have) almost zero time for hobby pursuits.

My life sucks. I can't think of anyone at the moment with more reason to be pissed at the world than myself. Not self pity, just the facts. And yet...I manage to behave in a civilized fashion. In fact, as pissed as I got I managed to NOT EVEN CALL ANYONE BY NAME although certain parties have assumed I was talking about them. Guilty conciense maybe?

In any event, I don't have the time or patience for this. I wanted INFORMATION. A few people stepped up and provided it. A few people are wasting what little free time I have by making me wade through a bunch of crap just in case there was something important in there. My time is valuable, next time I post please don't reply unless you have something you think adds to everyone else's knowledge.

I really don't care who contributed what, or whether you think you're justified in acting like a self righteous prick. If you constantly feel a need to justify yourself get ahold of your insecurities and begin acting like a self aware adult who is comfortable in his/her own skin. Do that first, then come back when you have accomplished that.

You don't see me rambling on about my accomplishments or why my contributions are more valuable than anyone else's. Pizzasgood doesn't do so either, and he surely has a lot more to be proud of contribution wise than, well, almost everybody here (myself included). Leave your egos behind please. Or at least edit them out before you hit send.

Now, if you are reading this and are assuming I am writing about you then you are just the sort of insecure little prick I was referring to all through this rant. But you don't HAVE to make that assumption. And you certainly don't have to continue acting out. I'm still quite willing to play nice and make friends with anyone who can behave like an adult and not WASTE MY TIME.

And of course, I'm now guilty of perhaps the most caustic post in the thread. But should anyone feel the need to take offense and start defending themselves to me you can be sure that I have enough bile left to get me banned from this forum for life and probably make you cry like a little girl in the process.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

cthisbear

#34 Post by cthisbear »

Boredom Alert !

Are we there yet girls??
Time for John Murgas' server to fail for a month.

No Cinderella moments here.
Although there are echos of the 3 ugly sisters.

Chris.

Nathan F

#35 Post by Nathan F »

OK so to summarize -

1) Whodo is still overseeing the next quasi official Puppy release. But said release may or may not be all that important in the grand scheme because the various puplets are where the action is at (at least according to some), and many people are already using woof.

2) Whodo has officially retired after this release, but there seems to be a general hunch that it may be possible to entice him back. However, I notice he is somewhat tight lipped about said possibility.

3) Lobster is still rather scatterbrained in a most delightful way. I missed your, ahem, wisdom Ed. Still on Facebook my crustacean friend? I broke down and put some crap up. :wink:

Feel free to chime in if you think I've missed anything important. I think my questions are *mostly* answered. But I have one new question. Has anyone bothered to ask Warren directly about his intentions regarding either retirement or continuing on as coordinator? If so, did he reply? If not, why not do so now. As a matter of fact, Warren if you're reading this consider it an official request from myself for enlightenment on the subject.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#36 Post by Lobster »

3) Still on Facebook my crustacean friend? I broke down and put some crap up. Wink
:)
Nathan
I left Facebook, too many scatter brained people, not enough wisdom. Just getting reacquainted with SecondLife.com where the situation is far worse but I have found some hidden gems too . . .
Anyways Facebook mischievously retain your data unless
you go through some geeky process - will go back on it it to check things out.
Meanwhile I intend to scatter my own mindlessness
until every last remnant of coherence is gone . . .(A heretical Buddhist perspective)
I will do a puja (prayer ritual) that change will come your way Nathan.
Look out for it :)
And now back to the therapy rooms . . .

Warren needs rest, dogee treats and time to rest in the kennels
quarantined from flees, sheep dog trials and poodle rinsing.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

#37 Post by Nathan F »

Anyways Facebook mischievously retain your data unless
you go through some geeky process
Ah, then it's good that I am able to handle most geeky processes.

Off to bed with me then.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

ecomoney

#38 Post by ecomoney »

Hi Nathan

Its a shame that you dont have the time to verify more of what you have read, test my work and find out for yourself the size of my packages. Myself, Im just glad theyre up to the job and tested frequently, though currently theyre not as available as I would like.

Who is really in charge is whoever has the passwords for the main ISO download site at puppylinux.org, and the repositories for the official software. When that information is posted, Nathan you can mark this thread [SOLVED]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#39 Post by BarryK »

Hi Nathan,
I don't know about all the posts you have objected to in this thread, as I haven't read it, just come in at the end :)

That's basically how I read the forum these days, just too darn busy.

Anyway, I have personally settled on the Ubuntu Jaunty-Puppy build in Woof as the future 5.0.

As I have mentioned in my blog, it doesn't have to be the only official release. We have at least:

The "Dingo" series, version numbers 4.x
My proposed "Upup" series, version numbers 5.x

"Upup" could be the short name for "Upuptu", phonetically "You pup too".

I'm knocking down the bugs in Upup at a rapid rate, should have the beta out real soon.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

WhoDo

#40 Post by WhoDo »

ecomoney wrote:Who is really in charge is whoever has the passwords for the main ISO download site at puppylinux.org, and the repositories for the official software. When that information is posted, Nathan you can mark this thread [SOLVED]
ummmm.... that would be .... (wait for it) .... for the time being ... (I said "wait for it").... ME!
NathanF wrote:OK so to summarize -

1) Whodo is still overseeing the next quasi official Puppy release. But said release may or may not be all that important in the grand scheme because the various puplets are where the action is at (at least according to some), and many people are already using woof.
Well yes and no. Yes, I am still overseeing the next official Puppy release (no quasi about it :wink: ). No, Puppy-4.2.1 will be an official bugfix update to 4.2, and that is always important to the vast majority of ordinary users. The disputes here have been more about the timing of that release, with some questioning both my wisdom and authority in deciding when that would be. Woof is still in Alpha and when it does go Beta it probably won't be a replacement for the Puppy 4.x series but and adjunct to it, as Barry says. T2pup or ppup or whatever it will be called when built with Woof will carry on the standard Puppy tradition absent any major revelations in future development.
NathanF wrote:2) Whodo has officially retired after this release, but there seems to be a general hunch that it may be possible to entice him back. However, I notice he is somewhat tight lipped about said possibility.
I have no intention of staying on as Coordinator at this stage, Nathan. I have previously expressed my concerns for the current role of Coordinator in a climate of open dissent bordering on harassment from certain quarters, however unrepresentative of the majority they may be. Perhaps Pizzasgood's revisiting of the governing council concept, or "Puppy Foundation", to oversee the Coordinator role would be a good thing. At least it would be clear to the Coordinator just whose opinions of his or her decisions really matter. At the moment it really isn't that clear at all.
NathanF wrote:I have one new question. Has anyone bothered to ask Warren directly about his intentions regarding either retirement or continuing on as coordinator? If so, did he reply? If not, why not do so now. As a matter of fact, Warren if you're reading this consider it an official request from myself for enlightenment on the subject.
Yes, Nathan, I have been asked both publicly and privately whether I would reconsider my decision to retire as Coordinator. I have also said that I wouldn't do that while ever the situation here remains unchanged; but I AM tempted to change my mind just to p!$$ ecomoney right off! :P

I might reconsider if Pizzasgood's idea to revive the Puppy Foundation gets a guernsey, and those on the newly formed "council" want me back (that is unless ecomoney is one of them of course. I couldn't handle that; I don't think anyone could! Hoooo... the thought of that just sent a cold shiver up my spine! :lol: ). It's not petulance. I just don't have the energy to deal with that sort of stuff while managing a project like Puppy the way it truly deserves.

I am really glad to see you back in whatever limited capacity, Nathan. I was worried that we hadn't seen you around and I have fond memories of the support you gave me and the team when we put Puppy-2.15CE together. I hope Lobster's "puja" produces the desired result for you and your life becomes enjoyable once again.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com