ChoicePup4.1.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Keef

#101 Post by Keef »

@jrb

You should be praised though, for not breaking anything !

jrb

#102 Post by jrb »

I have just updated the flashplayer in my ChoicePup. Both Opera and all ch versions of firefox will now open and view http://suttoncenter.org/eaglecam.html which previously crashed all versions of firefox and wouldn't play in Opera.

Install flashplayer10_070208.pet and hopefully your firefox crashing problems will be over. (One can always hope.)

jrb

#103 Post by jrb »

I have just uploaded create_sfs_links.pet which creates an sfs folder in my_links folder on the desktop and creates links in that folder to all the .sfs files in your /mnt/home directory. You can load them from the sfs folder.

Enjoy, J

jrb

#104 Post by jrb »

ecomoney has improved his ecofox browser so I have repackaged and reuploaded ch-firefox-2.0.0.20-ecofox.sfs.

rheya

#105 Post by rheya »

an improved ecofox ? impossible, ecomoney firefox was already PERFECT :P
LIVE CD CHOICEPUP 412
puppy 412 USB
[url]http://www.italian-ice-creams.blogspot.com[/url]

[url]http://www.ilgelatobcn.blogspot.com[/url]

Ice cream is exquisite: it's a pity it isn't illegal.
Voltaire.

Caneri

#106 Post by Caneri »

I have a bad md5sum warning on the

http://puppylinux.asia/members/choicepu ... ecofox.sfs
http://puppylinux.ca/members/choicepup/ ... fs-md5.txt
Could you please check it and confirm the correct md5sum...thanks

Eric

EDIT: I seem to have a good md5sum now...but maybe check it via download to be completely certain..ty..I used wget so the error is not normal.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

jrb

#107 Post by jrb »

Hi Eric,
I downloaded the .sfs and made a checksum. It matches the original and the checksum on the server.

Thanks for being vigilant, J

ecomoney

#108 Post by ecomoney »

Thank you for being vigilant and checking the file size too! Ive heard it mentioned on here its "twice the size of puppy!".....its actually about half the size again (55mb) :-) Its important because there is a lack of a tested Firefox/Java/Flash package in the official repo's (i.e. from the install icon).
rheya wrote:an improved ecofox ? impossible, ecomoney firefox was already PERFECT
Thank you for your confidence in me, but no Id made a packaging error which I admitted to JRB (its my first run), so I quickly fixed them and re-uploaded. I added support for downloading facebook videos as a few people I know asked me for it, and I also fixed some download locations/settings. Please let me know rheya if you find any imperfections.....knowing your falliable and fixing it is the only way to true perfection :D
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

SSM

ChoicePup

#109 Post by SSM »

Hi, just downloading some sfs's from ljfr's site. In particular the Skype and Picasa files. Kept getting a Port 80 warning. However the Gimp and OOO3Basic files transferred vey nicely. Unsure what to do.
Thanks for ChoicePup, I am enjoying learning to drive!
For any help, thank you.
SSM

rheya

#110 Post by rheya »

ecomoney wrote :
Please let me know rheya if you find any imperfections.....knowing your falliable and fixing it is the only way to true perfection
:lol:
well, I'll try it, but only for curiosity, because I love the previous version so much...
if I want to find a defect in it , it's that my e-mail direction doesn't save in gmail, so I have to write it every time :cry:
could you fix it ?
it's something related to firefox and not to gmail, I believe
hugs
rheya
LIVE CD CHOICEPUP 412
puppy 412 USB
[url]http://www.italian-ice-creams.blogspot.com[/url]

[url]http://www.ilgelatobcn.blogspot.com[/url]

Ice cream is exquisite: it's a pity it isn't illegal.
Voltaire.

bones01

unmount second usb

#111 Post by bones01 »

Hi all,

This seems fantastic and eventually, it even looks like everything is working (which probably means I haven't tried everything) but I am having a problem. I'm running Choicepup from a USB Boot and that works ok, a little slower than I expected, but still ok. When I plug in a second USB to access some files everything works fine. But if I want to use the second USB elsewhere, the system won't let me unmount. When I try, I get the message that it can't and this is probably because it is not connected.

It is most certainly connected, and I don't want to cause any problems, so I've been powering off before taking out the USB.

So, do I need to unmount it, or is there a problem that I can fix?

Bones01

jrb

#112 Post by jrb »

Hi SSM,
I got error messages on those too. I have pm'd ljfr to see if he can fix the problem.

Check back later, J

jrb

#113 Post by jrb »

Good morning bones01,
I booted from USB and tried 4 different second USB's. The only way I was able to duplicate your problem was to load ch-K-Office from the second USB, then try to unload it and then try to unmount the USB. Sadly, some of the .sfs packages do not want to unload after being loaded. K-Office and gcompris are the only two that come to mind, but there may be others. Check the menu to see if the programs menu entries are still there, if so its still loaded.

Personally I wouldn't pull a USB if it won't unmount. Have done so absent mindedly in the past and ended up having to reformat the USB! Restarting Puppy is the best option. Aggravating but safe.

If that's not your situation try using a different type of second USB and let us know the results. It could be something else. I've got various makes of USB's and they can act differently.

Good Luck, J

tlchost

#114 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:tlchost,
Sorry to hear about your painful experience.
I'm sure the Ghods are punishing me for using windows.

One a serious note: I have tried using a LiveCD and a boootable USB drive and notice on all them the menu bar at the bottom of the screen disappears when I have rebooted the system It comes back only if I go into setup and change the screen resolution. I am using vesa, since xorg doesn;t play with my system.

I'd appreciate any hints on how to overcome The case of the missing menu(other than having to leave bigger tips).

Thom

jrb

#115 Post by jrb »

tlchost,
Not sure why your menu (task?) bar disappears. Try restarting X instead of resetting resolution (that restarts X when it makes the change). Just right click on the desktop, go to Shutdown-Restart X Server. If your right click isn't working then do ctrl-alt-backspace and type "xwin" at the prompt.

Let me know if that works. J

bones01

unmount second usb

#116 Post by bones01 »

Well, after sending in my request, and then restarting the system, everything is working fine. The USB unmounts as requested. Weird?? Thanks for testing for me jrb.

The ch-sfs files are fantastic and have all loaded really well. But I can't find winelite. It doesn't appear in the menu, but pfind tells me it is in the system. Is that normal for wine?

bones

jrb

#117 Post by jrb »

bones,
Wine by itself doesn't do anything. Its a receptacle you can plug windows programs into. Sometimes they work. If you have wine loaded you can click on a simple .exe file, like winmine.exe (minesweeper) and it will run the program, explosions and all. With more complicated programs you can click on setup.exe and with luck the program will install and you can use it. No menu entries though. I'll use WinRar as an example. Once installed you go to /root/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/WinRAR and click on WinRAR.exe. It opens and you can compress or uncompress .rar files, etc. You can make menu entries to run these programs, but thats another story which hopefully I will get to in a HowTo article. /root/.wine usually ends up being pretty big so I make mine into an .sfs file which I can load when I want it.

bones01

#118 Post by bones01 »

thanks jrb. I've always struggled with wine, but will give it another try. Thanks for clearing up some confusion though.

bones

tlchost

#119 Post by tlchost »

jrb wrote:tlchost,
Not sure why your menu (task?) bar disappears. Try restarting X instead of resetting resolution (that restarts X when it makes the change). Just right click on the desktop, go to Shutdown-Restart X Server. If your right click isn't working then do ctrl-alt-backspace and type "xwin" at the prompt.

Let me know if that works. J
Both methods worked...and after the save:
the menu still disappears,
the internet settings are lost,
and the right click doesn't function

Thom

Keef

#120 Post by Keef »

The disappearing taskbar also happened to me. Also, JWM changed to a very basic configuration - no icons in menus, crude looking font, and red borders to windows. The shutdown options were missing from the menu too.
Actually this occured twice. I think the first time I could not bring up a menu at all (right click or F12).
I put this down to me tampering too much (although I hadn't touched JWM, and .jwmrc looked intact). I'm sure the second time was after I accidently stopped X via htop - when X restarted I had the problems.

Scrapped the savefile and started again. No problems since.