Puppy Networking

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
saintlangton

Puppy Networking

#1 Post by saintlangton »

rarsa wrote:
would like to see is puppy come up with a way to make
all the puppies in the network to talk to one another!
Depending on what you mean by "talking", Puppy is already capable of:
- Sharing files
- Sharing printers
- Remote Control

Is this what you meant?
I'm not sure how big of an ask this is (Maybe rediculously impossible, maybe fairly easy?)

For me foolproof networking would be a 'Network wizard' That detects all PC's wired via Ethernet and/or Wireless and states somethging like
"Puppy sees 3 Puppy PC's, 1 Linux PC and 2 Windows PC's connected by wires. 1 Puppy PC and 7 Windows PC's connected by wireless " and "Do you want to 1- Setup file sharing. 2- Setup shared printer. 3- Remotely control another PC across the network."
Then hand-hold through the process, informing the user what is being done. Give choices to user where necesary, but use sensible defaults and inform the user of the consequences of the choices presented, and where to find more info.

Maybe even an automatic puppy-to-puppy network - when puppy boots it checks to see if there are any puppy pc's attached and if so automatically lets those puppies share each others files, any printers connected, internet connection and gives remote control of the other puppy(ies) at just an icon-click away.

Probably just a dream, but it'd be nice, instant home networking.

Chris

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

I like what you are saying.
When a Puppy starts up, he could announce his presence, in manner that other Puppies on the network will recognise.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

Dunno if relevant - but included just in case . . .
one Puppy command for many Puppy machines on network

http://www.cyberciti.biz/nixcraft/vivek ... -or_27.php
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

It would be great if Puppy constantly scanned cyberspace for what he can connect to, but I don't think it would be a good idea for Puppy's default boot configuration to be 'announce his presence and connect to everything he can'. :lol: Apparently one of Windows' most serious weaknesses is that certain connections are turned on by default with no easy way for the user to turn them off or even know that they are on.

How about adapting Jesse Liley's easy-to-figure-out MUT display to show all networks and connections that Puppy can recognize, including those to devices such as printers, cameras etc.? It would offer the advantage of a familiar GUI.