KeePassX: QT4-based password manager

Miscellaneous tools
muggins

KeePassX: QT4-based password manager

#1 Post by muggins »

http://www.keepassx.org/
KeePassX saves many different information e.g. user names, passwords, urls, attachments and comments in one single database. For a better management user-defined titles and icons can be specified for each single entry. Furthermore the entries are sorted in groups, which are customizable as well. The integrated search function allows to search in a single group or the complete database.
KeePassX offers a little utility for secure password generation. The password generator is very customizable, fast and easy to use. Especially someone who generates passwords frequently will appreciate this feature.

The complete database is always encrypted either with AES (alias Rijndael) or Twofish encryption algorithm using a 256 bit key. Therefore the saved information can be considered as quite safe. KeePassX uses a database format that is compatibel with KeePass Password Safe. This makes the use of that application even more favourable.

It requires qt4-4.3.2.pet (4 MB)

Then download & install keepassX-0.4.3.pet. (979 KB)

Run via Menu->Personal->KeePassX
Last edited by muggins on Mon 26 May 2014, 07:43, edited 4 times in total.

horseman

#2 Post by horseman »

Woohoo!! Thank you very much!

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

Uploaded v0.4.0.

For changes, refer to:

http://www.keepassx.org/changelog

jeffklee

#4 Post by jeffklee »

muggins wrote:Uploaded v0.4.0.

For changes, refer to:

http://www.keepassx.org/changelog

OK -- so I loaded the qt package and then keepass. But it won't launch. No errors to screen; can't find logs... Any ideas? Would love to have this working!

Thanks!

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

If you open a console, (Menu>Utility>Rxvt), then enter:

keepassx

what errors do you get?

jeffklee

#6 Post by jeffklee »

muggins wrote:If you open a console, (Menu>Utility>Rxvt), then enter:

keepassx

what errors do you get?
I get keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: libQtGui.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And I can't find any of the QT libs...where should they be? (Yes, I installed qt4-4.3.2 pet with the package manager...)

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

1. Does anyone know exactly what this is capable of?

2. Would it compete with what I normally use in both Windows and Puppy?
i.e. the PORTABLE version of Acerose Password Vault
This is held in the internal HDD E: partition, in a sub-folder of a folder holding ALL of the numerous portable programs I have.

(a) I run this in Windows by making a shortcut on the Start menu to [run] the exe file.

(b) I run it under WINE within BoxPup [or whatever puplet], by opening a terminal, typing the command winefile, and navigating the the location of the exe file on its previously mounted partition, and double-clicking the file.

3. The program does all kinds of good stuff.
(a) It encrypts the contents of course. [Secure]
(b) It auto-saves as many backup copies of the database file as you specify. [Safe]
(c) You can specify the location where you want the backup file held; for the portable version I normally keep them in the folder with the programs' files.
(d) You type a user name and password to enter the vault, so you can have different vaults for different users.
(e) Once in, there is a line for each entry, which can include a URL for a webpage. To launch the default web-browser and go to the web-page identified by the URL, you either double-click the entry-line, or click the "Launch" button.
(f) To view/edit the content for a line, you highlight the line, then right-click and choose "Edit".
You can then copy & paste info [username, password, etc] from that window to the boxes in the web-page.
(g) It can be used to generate passwords of a length you specify, and because you can copy& paste those they can be long and complex and still be easy to use.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

@jeffklee,

I just downloaded & installed keepassx above. Then I used the package manager to uninstall the qt4-4.3.2 .pet. When I run keepassx from the commandline the error I get is:

Code: Select all

keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: libQtXml.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
If I the re-install qt4-4.3.2, when I run keepassx from commandline it opens without any errors. So I'm bamboozled as to why it won't work for you! Maybe try uninstalling qt4-4.3.2, re-downloading it directly from the repository, then re-installing.

@Sylvander,

I don't know...maybe the program you recommend is better...I don't actually use any of them! I just compiled it & uploaded in case it's of any use to others. Another little password program is Password Gorilla. You just need to also have tclkit installed for it to work.

Sylvander

#9 Post by Sylvander »

I find a password vault a VITAL program to have in use.

It keeps secure and safe all those passwords that I'm told [by my bank for example] not to write down on paper.
e.g. The URL for my banking website is kept secure, so that there's practically no way it can be interfered with, even if my PC is hacked.

One of the major reasons I took to using Puppy was because it would make my banking [via my password vault] more secure.

jeffklee

#10 Post by jeffklee »

muggins wrote:@jeffklee,

I just downloaded & installed keepassx above. Then I used the package manager to uninstall the qt4-4.3.2 .pet. When I run keepassx from the commandline the error I get is:

Code: Select all

keepassx: error while loading shared libraries: libQtXml.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
If I the re-install qt4-4.3.2, when I run keepassx from commandline it opens without any errors. So I'm bamboozled as to why it won't work for you! Maybe try uninstalling qt4-4.3.2, re-downloading it directly from the repository, then re-installing.
Re-installing qt did the trick. Interesting thing is, I'd tried that already. However, on this go, the package manager returned a success dialog -- which it didn't the first two times...

Thanks!

zbeckerd

Same error

#11 Post by zbeckerd »

I had the same error... QT was not installed. That of course fixed my problem.

I also have dropbox installed and that is where I keep the database as I run Keepass on several computers and my phone.

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

Uploaded v0.4.1.

cklammer

Qt Problem

#13 Post by cklammer »

I had the same libQtxml problem as described above. I had to uninstall Qt 3 and Qt 4 before install Qt 4 again. After that erverything was OK.

cklammer

P. S.: Sorry to bump this - should have checked the dates ....

muggins

#14 Post by muggins »

Uploaded v0.4.3.

brawlsadford

#15 Post by brawlsadford »

Big thanks to muggins for providing these files and making the installation of Keepass a doddle, even for a complete Puppy noob. I've only been using Puppy (BrowserLinux 362) for two days - but I'm pretty sure that this is the solution that I'm going to be handing out on CD to family and friends for a more secure environment to do online banking in.

Puppeteer

Thanks Muggins!

#16 Post by Puppeteer »

I'd also like to thank Muggins for providing the .pet for KeepassX and linking the required QT4 package. I referred the folks in this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60936 to your .pet since it's worked so well for me on both Lucid 5.1 and 5.2 :D . Great work!
Attachments
KeepassX.jpg
KeepassX 0.4.3
(32 KiB) Downloaded 1473 times

muggins

#17 Post by muggins »

Thanks Puppeteer. I aslo highly recommend Password Gorilla, as you can have both the windows, and linux, stand-alone versions on the same usbkey.

rcsteiner

Re: KeePassX: QT4-based password manager

#18 Post by rcsteiner »

[quote="muggins"]http://www.keepassx.org/

Thank you very much for providing this info. I've been using Keepass here on Windows for quite some time, and this fills the last hole I've had on the Puppy stick I've been creating for work. :)

Very useful!!

Gif

How to install Keepass 2 on Tahrpup

#19 Post by Gif »

I am a newbie so if I am at the wrong forum redirect me kindly.
I am a long term user of Keepass 2 in Win 7. I am making the switch to Tahrpup. However all my attempts at installing Keepass from PPM has failed. The download seem to work and Menu>Utlity shows me the name Keepass but when I click on Keepass I get nothing - no error message, no Keepass. Can anyone help? Further if I manage to successfully install how will import my data from Keepass in Window?

step

Re: How to install Keepass 2 on Tahrpup

#20 Post by step »

Gif wrote:I am a newbie so if I am at the wrong forum redirect me kindly.
I am a long term user of Keepass 2 in Win 7. I am making the switch to Tahrpup. However all my attempts at installing Keepass from PPM has failed. The download seem to work and Menu>Utlity shows me the name Keepass but when I click on Keepass I get nothing - no error message, no Keepass. Can anyone help? Further if I manage to successfully install how will import my data from Keepass in Window?
Open a terminal window and type keepassx at the command prompt - I don't recall which letters should be uppercase and which shouldn't, lettercase matters on linux. Work your way through the right name by typing a few letters and hitting the TAB key twice...
Once you get the right name and press ENTER you should read the error message that keeps the keypassX icon from launching the program.
Possibly it's lacking Qt libs?
Did you install _both_ pets mentioned in http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 610#484610 ?
I'm a long time keepass 1.x user on Windows. Never felt the need to upgrade to 2.x.
KeepassX reads my windows kdb 1.x file perfectly. I have _never_ added new passwords with KeepassX. I don't know if a 2.x kdb file is backward compatible with 1.x.
Now I used Windows keepass.exe on puppy through wine. It has worked perfectly for me. Again, I have _never_ added passwords, but I think it shouldn't be a problem. Wine is a Windows API layer for linux. You can easily add it to puppy as a loadable sfs module. Search the forum for one of version2013's builds. Most other builds in the forum are also fine.
Good luck.
P.S. When I switched to puppy from Windows keepass was the very first program I looked for...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]