OpenGL files in Puppy

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
gamepup

OpenGL files in Puppy

#1 Post by gamepup »

I noticed that Barry is thinking of removing openGL files from future Puppy. Please don't Barry.
I have an Intel Pentium 4 1.8 with the i810 graphics chip build in. I can make hardware acceleration works in Puppy. I am sure those with nVidia graphics cards can download drivers from nVidia to enable hardware accelleration in Puppy. For others with graphics cards that is supported by the DRI, then they can build their DRI driver themselves. Www.Mesa3d.org has a link to the instruction on how to build the DRI drivers.

When I am using Puppy 1.0.6, in order to play openGL games, I have to install MU' Xorg 6.8.2 then install the Intel's driver. With Puppy 1.0.7, it is even easier, I only need to install the intel's i810 driver and the openGL games works. If you removed the openGL files from future Puppy, that will waste people's time since we have to install the openGL files from somewhere like Mesa3d.org. There is a saying: "If it is not broken, why fix it?"
I can tell you that with Puppy 1.0.7, building openGL games is easy. I download Cube (the Quake clone) and build the game directly in puppy 1.0.7 and it works and the framerate is good (over 30fps).

One problem though, The Intel driver needs to put something in the /lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/drm and /lib/modules/2.4.29/kernel/drivers/char/agp.
I can do this for hard disk installation but is it possible to put this in pupxxx file? I read somewhere that pup files can not put files in /lib directory? Is that right? What is the best way to put files outside the /usr directory?

BTW: MU use Xorg 6.8.2, the latest version of Xorg is 6.9 and 7.0, and why do you still use 6.8.1?

Thanks

MU

#2 Post by MU »

I think you can make a dotpup with files in /lib/modules.

Rename the folder for your dotpup to
/root/.lib/modules

Then reboot after installation of the dotpup.

But I have not tried it yet, will reboot now.
Mark

MU

#3 Post by MU »

No, does not work.

Bombayrockers just described a way, must search...

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ght=#29955

Mark

#4 Post by Guest »

gamepup,

How do you install your i810 Driver?

MU

#5 Post by MU »

Guest, see here (Step 2).
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=4935

Use i810 instead of ATI/Radeon.

Mark