My Puppy Unleashed fails to load X. (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
tempestuous

My Puppy Unleashed fails to load X. (Solved)

#1 Post by tempestuous »

I just tried Puppy Unleashed 1.0.3. My main purpose was to make a version of Puppy with Xfbdev instead of Xvesa.
The whole process seemed to go well, but when I booted the finished CD it got as far as starting X, then fell back to the command line. I ran xwin, failed again.
I then tried to make Puppy Unleashed with xf86_svga. Same problem again.
Then I tried to make Puppy Unleashed with Xvesa - the latest cvs version in pupget_packages. Same problem again, X won't launch.
Have I missed a step somewhere?
Craig

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

which kernel are you using?

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

Barry,
I just accepted the default 2.4.27 kernel.
And in the meantime, I've spent a few hours troubleshooting this problem. Typical with Linux - lots of investigation, trial and error required.
There are some critical files missing from the final CD -
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXmuu.so.1 (& maybe some other Xfree86 libs)

I copied these files over from DamnSmallLinux (into /packages/xfbdev-v1) and now it ALMOST works.
I briefly see the desktop as X loads, before it terminates and falls back to the command line.
It appears from the xwin (startx) script that X is launched like this -
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit /root/.xinitrc
... so I ran this command manually. Same again - brief appearance of the desktop before disappearing. But now I see some error messages. I didn't write them down, but they related to missing fonts and wrong locale.
I don't have the expertise to troubleshoot this further.
Craig

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

I have kept working on my Puppy-Unleashed problem, and my discoveries are very timely now I see another post on this subject -
My final CD was missing many files from -
/usr/X11R6/bin/
/usr/X11R6/lib/
/usr/lib/
/usr/lib/qt/
These missing files are definitely absent from the (uncompressed) package folders, so I suppose for the recompile process to succeed these files would normally need to be copied into the rootfs-complete folder from the currently running Puppy operating system.
Clearly, this didn't happen for me, so I achieved success eventually by manually copying the missing files into the package folders, before running the "createpuppy" script. Now I have a remastered Puppy with XF86_SVGA X server and Opera.

I chose the option to have 1 large image.gz file, which worked fine. I'm hoping this single file will help, too, when I boot it from hard drive, since with previous attempts I was restricted to using certain partitions on my hard drive when usr_cramfs could not be found.

After boot, I check the /tmp/xerrs.txt file and the only error message is -
"Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C"
- this doesn't seem to be a problem.
Craig

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

All the files needed to build Puppy are in the puppy-unleashed/packages directory, or should be, if you downloaded all the packages from ibiblio.org.

papaschtroumpf

#6 Post by papaschtroumpf »

xinit is in the XFree-4.3.0 packages for example
qt is in package at-3.3.4
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

Thanks guys. I only copied packages I wanted, and THOUGHT I needed, into the Puppy-Unleashed folder, whereas I should have copied them all, then used the selection gui to deselect packages. And the main one I needed was xfree-4.3.0.
Now I know what to do, Puppy-Unleashed works great.