Verify that swap is being used by Pup? Ok, sortof solved.

Booting, installing, newbie
Sage

#41 Post by Sage »

Partition Magic can be very useful for Linux. It can create ext2 and swap partitions and format them. Unlike M$DOS fdisk, it doesn't force a single primary partition and everything else in extended ones.
Ghost is gruesome! PQ Disk Image with Diskcopy is superior, but haven't tried it with Linux yet. The dd method would seem to make it irrelevent in this context.
I agree that this thread contains important discussions. Personally, I don't like Wiki s; I prefer a topic to be picked out when moderately mature and written up as a Guide by one of the cognoscenti, who might edit it from time to time.

kethd

#42 Post by kethd »

It is often said that M$ prohibits more than one primary partition per hard drive. But that is not true. I have been making and using up to four primary partitions, using various tools, with no ill effects, for years.

Ghost is not user-friendly. It takes a lot of practice. But if you have the need for it fairly often, it is worth it. It is fantastic how it automatically adjusts everything so that transplanted installations work. (Again, no experience with Linux.)

dd seems like the opposite extreme. As long as the media are exactly the same size, and there are no geometry differences or bad spots etc it might work...

(If I were doing a volume refurb production line, I'd run SpinRite on all the drives, if it were convenient/practical.)

Takilla

#43 Post by Takilla »

I have not tried SpinRite, willlook into it.

So far I have used Darrik's Nuke to wipe the drive, then Puppy Live, it's cfdisk to format and even Partition Commander in the live CD mode for various situations. I have used PartComm. in live CD mode quite a bit. Cannot use Part.Majic because I do not dual boot w/MS, tho I have used it in the past alot.

Sage

#44 Post by Sage »

No need to use commercial SW!
Yes, as I said, it's only M$DOS fdisk that imposes limitations on the primary partition. Another thread discussed all this (Bruce or Ian?) along with the limitations of DRDOS6 and other options. It is another topic worth extracting as a compilation for general reference.
I have a simple debug script for completely wiping HDs. If someone could host it and provide a contact email address, I will forward it.

kethd

#45 Post by kethd »

muskrat

#46 Post by muskrat »

In responds to a post on Page one,
If you boot Puppy from a live CD on any machine open MUT in Start/File managers/Mut media utility tool, the drives will be displayed and if you have a Linux swap partition it will be shown with the words 'Swap Off' beside it.

This means that your swap partition is mounted, you can click on the 'Swap Off' to unmount it but this is not recommended.
I take this to mean, I've been reading the MUT wrong, When you use MUT it shows CDs HD partions as Mount in a boxed push button, when pushed it becomes Unmount in a boxed push button. I saw Swap as Swap Off, meaning swap was off, even though it was really Swap Off in a push button, to turn swap off.

Thanks for that enlightenment of Mut
Steve (Muskrat) McMullen
http://www.muskratsweb.com
Registered Linux User #305785

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#47 Post by Flash »

kethd wrote:(I have been taken the appending of labels such as SOLVED to indicate that herein you might actually find answers to the problem mentioned, not just a discussion among the equally afflicted and suffering.)

I guess I do feel it should imply that there are not only answers, but that they actually worked -- and preferably that the person with the original problem thinks their problem is solved/resolved. ...
That's exactly right. I couldn't have put it better. No one else would do it so I started editing subject lines to make them more useful to someone searching the forum, either for help or to help, and putting "Solved" in the subject line when it looked to me like the problem had been worked out to the point that it might be helpful to someone else. However, the forum is too busy for me to keep up with every thread so I encourage anyone who asks a question to please edit the subject line of the thread he started as the topic develops and seems to require it.

I don't think most people expect to find once-and-for-all answers here in the forum, just something they can quickly try. If it works, great. If not, oh well...