ThinPup

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jamesjeffries2

ThinPup

#1 Post by jamesjeffries2 »

Working on a puplet to turn a low end thin client in to a functional desktop for web browsing, listening to music and watching videos.

Think it could be useful to someone, you can buy a thin client with better specs than a lot of older PC's for between £20-50 depending on what deals you get on ebay.

My main motivation is that using one when you're just browsing the internet or listening to music will save energy, mine runs of 4.4w, compared to around 80w+ for my laptop

It will be based on 4.1.2 as that is what i use and like at the moment.

Aims:
- To be small enough to install on some system on chip devices, making it almost like an embedded puppy. Aim for alpha1 will be under 85MB allowing the user to save themes etc. in the remaining space

- have a full web browser that will use little memory and cpu, but still be functional enough for the average user

- have a media player that will use little memory and cpu

- have an optional sfs file to add back in any packages I remove. This will allow people to remaster the image and get a bigger, more functional install for newer thin clients.

sullysat

#2 Post by sullysat »

Cool idea!

Keep us posted, please! I'm very interested in this idea.

Sully
Puppy Files Mirror - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy.html[/url][/b]
Classic Puppy Page - [b][url]http://www.wisdom-seekers.com/puppy214x.html[/url][/b]

jamesjeffries2

#3 Post by jamesjeffries2 »

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Ok i have a working system based on barebones 412, but want to make a few changes still (EDIT) before i release an alpha. Also The cd remaster doesnt seem to work, get the usage of XDialog whenever i get past a certain point.

TODO:
1. Strip out unnessarry stuff (extra backgrounds, unused icons etc.)
2. Organise the pin board the way i want it
3. Reorganise the menu
4. Strip out unwanted scripts (not sure what i do or dont want yet, might include remaster stuff possibly?)
5. Strip out unwanted programs (Calculators, anti-virus, GUIs for internet stuff perhaps?)
6. See if 3.01 fat free would be a better base
7. Edit start up script to not probe for hardware after the first boot or set an option to allow user to choose
8. Decide whether to include a messaging program(pidgin,attym?)
9. Set puppy web desktop as the Seamonkey home page
10. investigate which libraries i can strip out

DONE:
1. installed wanted applications (VLC and Seamonkey)
2. changed gtk and jwm themes and background

Also what do people think about having a pdf reader? is there one that can be embedded in seamonkey in the way adobe acrobat is in windows?
Any comments are welcome.
Keep you updated

jamesjeffries2

#4 Post by jamesjeffries2 »

Another TODO:
1. write a script that will ask if you want to configure your sound card on the first boot and run ALSA setup if you answer yes
2. maybe do the same for the firewall?

T_Hobbit

#5 Post by T_Hobbit »

jamesjeffries2 wrote: Also what do people think about having a pdf reader? is there one that can be embedded in seamonkey in the way adobe acrobat is in windows?
2 in 1 - This open office docs and has a link for a PDF viewer
T_Hobbit
:idea: Rebuilding old DOS Machine for Wing Commander Privateer and Puppy :!: Old spare parts to give away - anyone interested :?:

jamesjeffries2

alpha1 release

#6 Post by jamesjeffries2 »

Ok here is my first (ever) alpha release. It's pretty rough at the moment, the final release will not look much like this, but it has the core functionality in there.

Downlaod From here.
It is basically puppy barebones 412 with VLC and Seamonkey. I have also had a mess around with the menu (ignore the Settings section that will be changed for the next release)

ISO size is currently 74MB. Writing this from it right now

TODO for next release:
1. Strip out unnessarry stuff (extra backgrounds, unused icons etc.)
2. Reorganise the Settings menu and desktop
3. Strip out unwanted scripts
4. Strip out unwanted programs (Calculators, anti-virus, GUIs for internet stuff perhaps?)
5. Set puppy web desktop as the Seamonkey home page
6. investigate which libraries i can strip out
7.get ISO down to 70MB

Will aim for a second alpha (hopefully a bit tidier) release in about a week or so.

Let me know what you think of it,
Cheers,
Jim