no sound from Gateway Solo laptop

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
bigmahi

Sound problem is Kernel issue

#41 Post by bigmahi »

I searched on line for similar problems and found a few posts where people used kernel 2.4.x (with red hat) and the sound worked fine. When they upgraded to kernel 2.6.x the sound stopped working on their Solo 2150.

I ran a test by downloading DamnSmallLinux (DSL) the latest version is based on kernel 2.4.39 and the sound worked perfectly out of the box.

So it looks like it is a kernel problem since all the puppy releases for the last few years have been 2.6.x I think since puppy 1.08.

Kernel issues are beyond my ability to deal with....

Hope this helps the puppy guru's

MikeMT

#42 Post by MikeMT »

I have tried 2 versions of Damn Small Linux on my Solo and neither gave sound.

feraliminal

#43 Post by feraliminal »

Let's break this down into steps:

* ALSA can't be made to work with Puppy on a Gateway Solo 2150, for whatever reason. Rather than bang our head on that wall, we can note that...

* Sound works out of the box on said Gateway with the latest Damn Small Linux (4.4.10).

* lsmod shows me the es1371 kernel module loading, and gxine's prefs show me that it's using OSS, so I'm thinking Damn Small is using OSS instead of ALSA.

And here's where I hit the first of many snags.

- How do we get the OSS modules loading instead of ALSA?

- In Puppy, I went to Menu -->System-->BootManager configure bootup. Looking in the blacklisted modules, there is es1371, our OSS driver (amirite?). I removed it from the blacklist, and in the prefer-over part, added the line es1371:snd-1371

- Edited /etc/modules.conf, remove the snd-ens1371 lines generated by alsaconf, replace with:
alias sound-slot-0 es1371
alias snd-card-0 es1371

- I reboot, go into gxine -->prefs-->audio, set to OSS, play something (in this case, usr/share/sounds/2barks.au). Nothing.

What am I missing? What is working in DSL that isn't here?

micah1_8

#44 Post by micah1_8 »

Still no solution?

MikeMT

#45 Post by MikeMT »

As the starter of this, I must bump this with a message of how I acquired sound on this Solo.
I booted up Puppy Fat-Free 2.16.dillo. Behold this puppy barked. I was startled. So Posters with Solos try Fat-Free. I haven't tried a CD yet.

MikeMT

#46 Post by MikeMT »

Geez, I spoke to soon. On booting up Fat-Free the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time, the sound failed. Not a winper to the Puppy. Back to square one. Now to figure out the effecting variables.