[OPEN] Xorg screen resolution wizard

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 4.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
8-bit

[OPEN] Xorg screen resolution wizard

#1 Post by 8-bit »

I had the screen resolution initially set to 1280x1024.
I went to change it to 1024x768 using the xorg screen resolution wizard.
I had about 3 overlapping desktop screens and restarting X did not change to a normal 1024x768 desktop.
Also, the icon placement in both the desktop icons and the hotpup icons was wrong as icons were overlapping or not placed correctly.

ravensrest

#2 Post by ravensrest »

You don't mention what version of Puppy you are using, what your video card is. I have experienced similar problems with Puppy 4/4.2 and a Radeon 9200se board. I was able to change resolution using the resolution changer in the Xorg wizard. I had to restart X a second time to get it running right after changing the res though.

BS

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

The version of Puppy directly associates to this bug reporting area as the version is Puppy 4.2.1.
The computer is a Compaq AMD duel core with 3 megs of ram and I booted from the CD with pfix=ram.
At the bootup selection of xorgwizard, I picked xorg and a resolution of 1280x1024 24bit.
The trash and lock icons were stepped in like they had been made to be located for a 1024x768 resolution.
When I then selected the xorg submenu selection from the desktop and tried to change to 1024x768, I got 3 partial overlapping desktop screens and the cd icon in hotpup was overlapping the first hard drive icon.
If one opens /tmp/xerrs.log it will show errors with placement.
That is if I am interpreting the info correctly.
Oops, forgot! Video card (built in) is Nvidia GeFroce 6150 SE and monitor is Hanns G 199D.

ravensrest

#4 Post by ravensrest »

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is to run

Code: Select all

xrandr
in a terminal and see what it thinks the available resolutions are.

If 1024x768 is present, then try

Code: Select all

xrandr -s 1024x768
to see if that gets you there. Once again, if the resolution does change, you may have to restart the Xserver a second time.
BS