How to disable loading images in Puppy Mozilla?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Glitchman

How to disable loading images in Puppy Mozilla?

#1 Post by Glitchman »

I recently tried the new release of the live CD of Puppy (1.02) in hopes of fixing this problem:

Ever since Puppy started bundling beta versions of Mozilla, I have never been able to disable loading of images. No matter what I do, all images always load on all sites. I have tried all of the following to no avail:

1. Edit - Preferences - Privacy & Security - Images - Do not load any images.
2. Tools - Image Manager - Block Images from this Site and Manage Image Permissions.
3. Manually changing several image settings in about:config.
4. Modifying the prefs.js file manually.

Any of the above will pretend to modify settings by making changes in the UI and in the prefs.js file. However, NONE of them actually prevent images from loading. Ever. As a dial-up user, I'd rather not waste time loading unnecessary images, ad banners, etc. Hitting the Escape key on every site gets old fast.... :-(

For reference, I have no problems modifying these settings on the Windows versions of Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, etc. without installing any extensions (though I do not run beta versions of Mozilla.) Is this an ongoing bug in Puppy itself or is it the beta version of Mozilla that is the source of these problems? Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm these issues.

Glitchman

#2 Post by Glitchman »

I see that this hasn't changed in Puppy 1.03 either. :(

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I don't know how much damage I did by the way I fixed it - maybe none - maybe a lot.

I installed Mozilla 1.7.8 the current stable release in the SAME directory as Puppy's Mozilla. The "Image Acceptance Policies" work.

Try it at your own risk - so far it seems to work fine.

BTW 'mozstart' didn't work so I made a direct sym link to mozilla.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Bruce,
there is a 1.7.8 PupGet package.

what you have done is probably okay, but when you upgrade to next version of puppy, all the "unauthorised" files will get thrown out. That is, all of moz 1.7.8.
...hopefully by then i'll have a later version of moz with an image manager that does actually manage images instead of pretending to.

Glitchman

#5 Post by Glitchman »

Thanks for the replies (I noticed the topic title has been modified slightly.) Anyway, I was under the impression that a more stable version of Mozilla would be included in Puppy 1.03. I would almost use the barebones installation because of the problems with the beta Mozilla, but it was unfortunately missing some must-have apps like GAIM and of course had no link to a stable Mozilla (1.78) or Firefox in PupGet. Any word on going back to either browser as the default?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Modified subject line

#6 Post by Flash »

Glitchman, I'm the one who modified your subject line in the initial post to this thread. I do that for the benefit of both those who want to help out and answer questions, and for those who are searching through the forum for the answer to a problem similar to theirs. I hope you don't mind. :)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#7 Post by BarryK »

Glitchman wrote:Thanks for the replies (I noticed the topic title has been modified slightly.) Anyway, I was under the impression that a more stable version of Mozilla would be included in Puppy 1.03. I would almost use the barebones installation because of the problems with the beta Mozilla, but it was unfortunately missing some must-have apps like GAIM and of course had no link to a stable Mozilla (1.78) or Firefox in PupGet. Any word on going back to either browser as the default?
...I don't understand your point.
With barebones you can install Mozilla 1.7.8, Gaim, whatever, via Pupget
-- or at least they should be listed as available in PupGet.

Glitchman

#8 Post by Glitchman »

My point was that some applications were mysteriously missing in the list inside of PupGet, making them unavailable altogether. For this reason, I opted for the Mozilla version instead of barebones.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Okay, I need to check how that list gets generated.

In case anyone is interested, see my post on Elinks:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=668