Upup Alpha7

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 5.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
rerwin

3G wireless firmware missing; dir2pet protection

#21 Post by rerwin »

Although Barry stated he copied the 3G-wireless firmware, I do not see that it actually occurred. I attach here a dotpet to remedy that, as well as add the minor updates I made after Barry captured 3G-pupdial-10.

While working on the patch (in 4.1.2), I inadvertently left spaces in the name of the directory containing the patch. Dir2pet went crazy, gobbling up all of my pupsave space as it created the file /.tar! Time to check for the embedded spaces. In another thread, I suggest a new initial command in /usr/bin/dir2pet that also protects against its operating with an incorrect directory name when space characters are embedded. That posting is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 107#305107

In addition, I discovered the following:
- Clicking on a .sfs file results in an error message on such files created in 4.1.2. Likewise, 4.1.2 cannot click-mount 4.7.1 .sfs files. I haven't tried clicking on 4.7.1 .sfs files in 4.7.1, so don't know whether even that works.
- Geany now defaults to no-line-wrapping, which is different from previous puppys. Could the line-wrap default be restored to Geany, to avoid the need for setting it for each document opened?

UPDATE 5/14/09: The "-2" file has pupdial and modemtest updated with an orange processing message, to fill feedback gaps of several seconds (at least on my 400MHz Aptiva - 8 seconds for pupdial to (re)start).
Richard
Attachments
3G_pupdial_patch_for_P5-alpha7-2.pet
Please install this before attempting to test the 3G wireless modem features.
It supplies missing pieces.
(15.24 KiB) Downloaded 1256 times
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 14 May 2009, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

ravensrest

#22 Post by ravensrest »

A few odds and ends, most left over from upup-466:

1. Drive icons (except fd0) are displaced when changing from native resolution in Xorg -- labels are covered by tray; may disappear when changing res in XVesa (also in 466).

2. Menu icons and icon in menu button in the tray are missing under Xorg, but present when using XVesa (also in 466)

3. When using xrandr to change screen, either in terminal or from Xorgwizard, have to restart Xwin a second time to get screen to revise itself properly (also in 466)

4.Gparted doesn't work, but Pdisk partitioner does. Gparted starts but just scans continuously. Gives this when run in a terminal:

Code: Select all

error: libhal_acquire_global_interface_lock: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.InterfaceAlreadyLocked: The interface org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Storage is already exclusively locked either by someone else or it's already locked by yourself
5. Can't exit to prompt, reboot, etc under XVesa. And WMexitmode.txt is NOT removed from /tmp/.

6. Fotox index labels are almost unreadable (also in 466)

7. Xorg wizard may run twice before allowing you to change the resolution

8. Seamonkey mail and news is in menu but not present in software

9. (later edit) Tray buttons have no background or border unless there is an icon and label both specified.

Cursory testing of CUPS (installed one LPR printer), Seamonkey browser, Pmount, Abiword, Gnumeric, MTpaint, Inkscapelite, gxine. osmo, urxtv, geany, leafpad, Pmusic, Pburn, Pfind, Gdmap revealed no obvious problems.

Over all, I like it a bunch!
BS
Last edited by ravensrest on Thu 14 May 2009, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.

mawebb88

Network Wizard work on EeePC901

#23 Post by mawebb88 »

Great. Its the first upup I have manged to connect to my WiFi from my EeePC901,
Rgds Mike

tubby

no shutdown

#24 Post by tubby »

@ ARAN, I delete the temp directory and then i am able to shutdown via menu, something in the temp dir stopping shutdown when using vesa?.

mawebb88

ath_pci not present

#25 Post by mawebb88 »

No ath_pci module present in upup-471 as far a I can tell so WiFi does not work on my Acer Aspire 5100 unfortunately. Rgds Mike

(Copy from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42331)

rjbrewer

#26 Post by rjbrewer »

Ath_pci present and working well on my laptop and pc.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ttuuxxx

#27 Post by ttuuxxx »

When you click on /usr/share/audio/2barks.wav
The dreaded Pmusic opens up and sits there, doing nothing, doesn't play .wav files so the mimes for .wav files should be changed to Gxine, because Gxine can play .wav files when clicked on.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ARAN

#28 Post by ARAN »

@ mawebb88

For getting Wireless working on the Acer Computer it need
the special module called "acer-acpi".

Without this module near no wirelless is working on the Acer machines

https://bugs.launchpad.net/acerlaptop-wifi/+bug/105881

http://ubuntubasics.wordpress.com/2007/ ... esnt-work/

P.S Does somebody know which file do i have to edit in woof so i can slim down the build of woof ?

dawnsboy

#29 Post by dawnsboy »

I have Alpha 7 on my Eeepc 701. Looks promising.

Wireless works out of the box with WPA settings. Settings are remembered on reboot. Sometimes the connection is high speed consistent with expected download speeds from my ISP and sometimes it is very slow. Each boot session is different.

Ethernet works the charm out of the box.

FN keys do no work for the most part but the display dim/bright FN F3 and F4 do work

Missing taskbar and menu icons (same as in Alpha 6). Menu entries are shifted over as if an icon is being displayed so it looks a bit odd.

I installed icewm 1.2.37 from the jaunty ubuntu repo and then customized it to suit Puppy. Worked great, displayed icons in menus. I was able to change desktop icons to stardust. One odd issue cropped up. If I restart X or reboot from Icewm desktop the Eeepc display is dimmed to lowest setting. I have to manually reset it from the keyboard to an appropriate brightness level.

I deleted the upup_save file and started over. This time I installed ttuuxxx's icewm.pet (587kb) that he built during the 4.2 development process. I went through the same steps and achieved the same result. The display dims to lowest possibe setting when restarting X or rebooting from Icewm.

I noticed something on boot up with Alpha 7 that I have not seen with any other distro. When X is loading the display the black console flashes a bright white like a camera bulb then continues loading as normal.

No problems with Seamonkey. Upgraded to 1.1.16 from tar.gz file without issues. Email client works. Abiword works (so far as I have been able to check it out).

Able to install and use zigberts stardust theme, icewm and ttuuxxxs gnome games packages.

Bareview is functioning and of course so is the package manager.

rebbi1

#30 Post by rebbi1 »

Seems to run well on my ancient HP Laptop, 433 MHz Celeron with 256 MB RAM, except that it won't shut down normally (this is a frugal install). I don't get the opportunity to create a save file. It just goes to a black screen, and then my power LED blinks slowly, as if it's gone into some sort of suspend mode. Deep Thought works fine, by the way.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

Rerwin,
Sorry about that, I must have forgotten to update the linux kernel PET package after making changes in it.

There is now an "alpha8", broken into 5 small files which is great for those on dialup who would like to play with this new pup:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00748

This "alpha8" fixes some bugs.
But not rerwin's 3G modem stuff, you still need the PET package he posted earlier in this thread.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#32 Post by Flash »

The sound problem is fixed. Burniso2cd burned alpha 7 to my multisession DVD+RW. Then I rebooted, saving the settings from alpha 6. Sound works on my computer now. No new problems found - yet. Good job!
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

James C

#33 Post by James C »

Don't know if this is a bug or not, but it was strange.

Going to install alpha 7 on an old P3 733mhz, 256 mb ram machine. Booted the live cd and went to Gparted to partition the hard drive.The main partition went fine but Gparted kept having errors when creating the swap.

No problem, out comes the Gparted cd, partition the drive and then install Puppy.After completing the full installation, I tried Gparted again and it would just continuously run without detecting anything.

Earlier tonight, after adding Pets and Ubuntu packages, Gparted decides to work correctly.

Strange..........

rjbrewer

#34 Post by rjbrewer »

Also noticed gparted not working when I did a frugal and
full install.

Wonder if Ubuntu gparted inode size will cause any problems.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

tronkel

#35 Post by tronkel »

No charting in Gnumeric. Comes up with an error about missing glade library
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

mysticmarks

libs

#36 Post by mysticmarks »

hey guys,
I built with a?-a5 and now a7. The major issue i've had has been the lack of libs post build. this is in every build (slack,deb,etc.) my a5 deb build has been stable enough for regular use.

@barryk- have you thought about keeping ppm just for puppy, and instead having the build specs call out for the appropriate command line pkg manager? i installed dpkg comline, no deps, runs fine. If this was done, then a small script could be designed for each type of build and be fed into the comline to build appropriately for each one, right?

also, anyone building with the scripts, you DO know to just use the package files from previous woof builds right?(most of you do im sure) forget dl time over and over.

mysticmarks

libs

#37 Post by mysticmarks »

hey guys,
I built with a?-a5 and now a7. The major issue i've had has been the lack of libs post build. this is in every build (slack,deb,etc.) my a5 deb build has been stable enough for regular use.

@barryk- have you thought about keeping ppm just for puppy, and instead having the build specs call out for the appropriate command line pkg manager? i installed dpkg comline, no deps, runs fine. If this was done, then a small script could be designed for each type of build and be fed into the comline to build appropriately for each one, right?

also, anyone building with the scripts, you DO know to just use the package files from previous woof builds right?(most of you do im sure) forget dl time over and over.

jfkfield2

Wireless on laptops

#38 Post by jfkfield2 »

I had an older laptop but I upgraded to a Toshiba M305D. Since then, about 6 or 9 months ago maybe a year, I haven't been able to get wireless to work. I tried all the drivers, I had the patience to try but no dice. Finally with this 4.71 release it's working. I rather liked the new wireless start up function better. I'm using WPA protection and it was a breeze.

rerwin

Correction to Intel536 initialzation script

#39 Post by rerwin »

I discovered a typo in the Intel 536 modem initialization script and have attached a replacement firmware tarball, to go into /lib/modules/all-firmware. The impact of the typo is that an already-selected modem is not respected.
Richard
Attachments
intel536ep.tar.gz
Place this tarball in /lib/modules/all-firmware.
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 1402 times

mysticmarks

#40 Post by mysticmarks »

odd, a5 deb build of ntfs3g-fuse was fine, a7 deb build fails? not sure here. I wont get more specific yet. Hey Barry, i haven't seen many posts, so im pretty sure you are getting overwhelmed with input on woof. I know you were choosing to go upup for your own reasons, but at beta1 are you going to try to build each version?
I understand you have bandwidth issues. I have built each very quick(-3 hours), and would be willing to help with the compile time, by building the base iso and devx, then uploading, etc if it would expidite your efforts in any way. This would at least give you a starting environment to work with instead of having to dl and build each. Maybe im crazy? ;)