My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours!

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
dejan555

#761 Post by dejan555 »

Of course, those are nice iconsets, it would be nice to have them if it's not big trouble for you to pet them.
We have lots of nice iconsets now peted:
http://puppylin.freehostia.com/icons.htm
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

tasmod

#762 Post by tasmod »

These are the desktop Icon pets. They will install to Themes.

I'm just searching for the menu button pics at moment.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

markofkane

#763 Post by markofkane »

I did mine over. But I can never compete.

Attached
Attachments
desktop.jpg
(146.25 KiB) Downloaded 410 times

tasmod

#764 Post by tasmod »

The button pics are in there, I just forgot :oops:
Rob
-

tasmod

#765 Post by tasmod »

Never looked closely at this before, but is there a need for a single application that will carry out all functions of making a theme change?

I don't mean just the GTK theme changer but an overall changer which will consolidate one theme.

At the moment it's desktop icons, wallpaper, pwidgets, jwm or icewm and menu button.

This assumes basic Puppy with either window manager.

To get an integrated look requires all elements to be changed.

Any thoughts ?

Although MS Windoze items can be singly altered, it tends to go for a designed look theme.
Rob
-

MU

#766 Post by MU »

WhoDo wrote: Puppy-4.2.1
JWM
Feel-of-Japan icon theme
Sunset SVG background by BluePal
Pwidgets Stardust theme
great!
Mark
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=173456#173456]my recommended links[/url]

puppyluvr

#767 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
To get an integrated look requires all elements to be changed.

Agreed. I mentioned this to WhoDo before, but it would have taken too long to impliment in 4.2.....

Basically a "Global" Themer...GTK, Jwm/Icewm, Icons, Backdrop, Rox theme, All in one click...

ecomoney

#768 Post by ecomoney »

For those (unlike me) that are gifted with artistic talent....

We need a good theme for Puppy 5 "Woof"! Suggestions are invited here
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

puppyluvr

#769 Post by puppyluvr »

Its locked Rob....

James C

#770 Post by James C »

Just got locked in the last little while.Didn't notice it till I read your post.

WhoDo

#771 Post by WhoDo »

markofkane wrote:I did mine over. But I can never compete.
It's not whether you win or lose but whether you play the game...

OK, that's not exactly how the saying goes but the sentiment is there. Not everyone likes the way I theme Puppy. I don't like the way some others theme Puppy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As you become more familiar with what you can do, and where you can derive your inspiration, you will also begin to "compete". The interesting thing, at least for me, is by then it won't matter! You will have started to enjoy the journey and the destination will always become just a way point to another more distant goal.

It's Monday night, I'm tired and when I get tired I get philosophical. I hope I haven't bored you with that, markofkane.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

tasmod

#772 Post by tasmod »

puppylvr,

looking at it, it's a major task but doable.

I thought in terms of gui showing elements that can be chosen for each and then saved as an 'own theme' which the app then applies.

This would require no other apps running as it would then finish with an X restart or possibly a reboot.

I don't think it could be included in Puppy (size) but certainly a pet for addition later.

Rob

Mick, Trio, if you're reading this, fancy a go ?
Rob
-

trio

#773 Post by trio »

tasmod wrote:puppylvr,

looking at it, it's a major task but doable.

I thought in terms of gui showing elements that can be chosen for each and then saved as an 'own theme' which the app then applies.

This would require no other apps running as it would then finish with an X restart or possibly a reboot.

I don't think it could be included in Puppy (size) but certainly a pet for addition later.

Rob

Mick, Trio, if you're reading this, fancy a go ?
GO :lol:

but I am in a very lazy mood to do things with puppy, REAL WORLD problem is here. Just like many people here...I'm busy looking for another job, my current work is almost "done" :cry:

tasmod

#774 Post by tasmod »

Not you too, bummer :(

On Google, so if you want to chat over plans see you there.

Rob
Rob
-

trio

#775 Post by trio »

Thanks Rob,

but unfortunately the answer is yes, me too...not now though.but considering the situation..I guess soon....have to prepare from now...tougher time is still coming......

dejan555

#776 Post by dejan555 »

Thanks for icons tasmod, repacked to install in their own subfolders in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes and added to puppy-look, indeed very nice iconsets. ;)
puppy.b0x.me stuff mirrored [url=https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_Mb589v0iCXNnhSZWRwd3R2UWs]HERE[/url] or [url=http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_puppy.b0x.me_mirror]HERE[/url]

wosifat

#777 Post by wosifat »

Sure, I'll play along.
I have Boxpup 413 with a clock running in Tint. Love the minimalist look. The background is a picture I took out my back door the last good snowfall we got a few months ago. Still haven't found a theme in Pwidgets that plays nicely with it, though.[/img]
By the by, how do I get the image showing up as an image in the thread instead of a link. Do I have to upload it somewhere to do that?
Attachments
pupscreen-18May,131738.jpeg
(157.9 KiB) Downloaded 434 times

tasmod

#778 Post by tasmod »

One word, size.
Rob
-

ecomoney

#779 Post by ecomoney »

whodo wrote:OK, that's not exactly how the saying goes but the sentiment is there. Not everyone likes the way I theme Puppy. I don't like the way some others theme Puppy. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
And usability is in the eye of the Linux Newbie!

Here some of my ideas for Puppies Appearance, based on puppies aims...

As we know Puppy should "be extremely friendly for Linux newbies", so remember that lots of "windows refugees" will be studying the new menus to find out how to do things the Linux way. Therefore a clear, easily read font will be a must, with good contrast between it and the background. One of the things most levelled at Linux (by those who fear the time their Windows skills will become redundant), is that it is difficult and complicated to use. A "good" theme should make the functions of the menus and icons stand out.

In short, to be "friendly" to Linux Newbies, it should be "attractive" to them, and perhaps even go as far as to be "familiar" to them... :idea:

Question One of the ways this could be achieved (although I agree not "technically" accurate) is to use the word "Start" on the menu button in the bottom left of the screen.

Idea Puppy should also "breathe new life into old PCs". Lets face it, the types and age of computers that puppy are likely to be installed will not be winning any awards for "retro-chic". Likely they will be standard beige boxes. Therefore any Desktop style will need to be double modern looking to make up for this in order to make them desirable items to as many people as possible.

Suggestions for inspiration?

How would I know Im colourblind :D

May I suggest this search on Digg.com for desktop. Digg uses an algorithm of "diggin up/diggin down" good/not so good articles, and theme collections are a popular item to post on Digg. Its sorted automatically in descending order by the most "approved" or "dugg".

http://digg.com/search?s=desktop+themes&sort=digg
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

01micko

#780 Post by 01micko »

Ahem.. Rob, (the one from Lincolnshire.. NOT North Lincolnshire.)

This a thread about ego, it says it in the title.. "My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours". However I think it is meant to be light hearted.

If you want to post in this thread I suggest you post a nice screeny boasting how good your own desktop looks OR comment, yay or nay, on some one else's desktop appearance.

It is not about what Linux noobs, and what, in your opinion, they want. It's not about "them". For some strange reason, some of us don't give a #insert words of choice here# about what others think but what we think, do and produce.

Some of us aren't as selfless as you mate. We prefer to indulge ourselves.

Sure, pull some ideas out of this thread if you want, but the only ideas which should be bandied about here are artistic ones... that is, if you are artistically inclined. Are you?

Any ways folks, back on topic!

This one I did in big_bass' Slaxer_Pup, I made a wally and all.

Enjoy.
Attachments
slaxer.jpg
(26.8 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access