mtPaint 2.20 at new website

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Mark Tyler

mtPaint 2.20 at new website

#1 Post by Mark Tyler »

I have just released version 2.20 of mtPaint at the new website:

http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/

Have a good 2006!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Congratulations Mark
in particular look forward to the anims as seen here . . .
http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/future.html

I would also ask and advise that (if they are up for it)
the guy who did your great new logo improves your icons (otherwise use generic ones) :)

I also like how there is more code but the size is levelling.

Can anyone help Mark with icons and layout?

I did try some experiments with my wacom card in Puppy but this is on hold for now . . .

Thanks Mark - always a pleasure to hear about your program.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Mark Tyler

#3 Post by Mark Tyler »

The chap who did the logo has said that he is working on some new icons - version 2.20 makes it very easy to switch icons at compile time. Because mtPaint works on many different systems there may be an argument for creating themes for Gnome (like the Gimp icons), KDE (like Kolourpaint) or Windows (like MS Paint). As you can appreciate I'm busy on the code side of things so I don't really have time to do this.

I'm glad you liked the animations. This is a really exciting new area for mtPaint as it will enable frame generation for GIF animations (for websites) or even fully blown MPEG animations (more colours, larger frame sizes and higher frame rates than GIFs). I've done most of the coding for this and the results are encouraging, with just a small increase in size of the program (less than 10% of the current size). I'll put a test version up in a few weeks time and maybe a tutorial to explain how to use gifsicle and mencoder to create GIF/MPEG files from the frames that mtPaint will create.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Mark, that's great!
Puppy has gifsicle, and it has been crying out for some kind of "frontend".

As far as I'm aware, the GIF compression patent has expired now, so using GIF shouldn't be a problem for Linux people.
Note, Puppy uses the "proper" libgif, that has the compression -- libungif is just a link to it.

klhrevolutionist

yes

#5 Post by klhrevolutionist »

Yes, a big thanks is nice once in a while.

Mark Tyler, I can say that mtpaint is the easiest paint program I have ever used. And I am glad that Barry K. has included your program with every release of puppy that I have used. Small but powerful goes side by side.

Thanks.

And a big kudos for an easy new webpage.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

Nathan F

#6 Post by Nathan F »

I have to agree, mtPaint is a superb program. I've got the very newest versions of Gimp, Cinepaint, and Inkscape in Grafpup but still keep mtPaint in because it's easier and faster to use in many cases. In fact, I held up the last Grafpup release by a full week largely to be able to include the alpha version that was the first to have the split image feature.

The news about gif animations is fantastic indead. Keep up the good work.

Nathan

ps-
Lobster what kind of interface does your tablet use? I'm assuming usb but just wanted to check.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

Nathan F wrote: ps-
Lobster what kind of interface does your tablet use? I'm assuming usb but just wanted to check.
Serial :oops:

One piece of advice
If getting a 3 button mouse (G2 advised me this is required and in order to cut and paste Linux- yes it is) - get a wheel mouse - then you can zoom in and out (resize) in MtPaint

Mt Paint
is far from empty

Great things to use Mtpaint for:
screenshots (use scale canvas and sharpen and save in jpg)

Hey where is our rhino tutorial?
What is your fav mtpaint usage / command?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D