[OPEN] b43 broadcom wireless can't be retained

This is for bugs in a version of Puppy 4.x that is still under development. If you have bugs for a released version of Puppy, please post them in the forum's main Bugs section, not here. Bugs are when a program does not function as intended. Usability issues are not bugs.
trio

[OPEN] b43 broadcom wireless can't be retained

#1 Post by trio »

Whodo

last time in 4.2 final after installing the nobcm43xxpatch and went through network setup, I can retained the wifi config. But strangely I find that in 421, I can't retained the wifi config and have to configure all over again every reboot..so after much looking around I tried a suggestion from one of the thread, that is copying /lib/firmware/b43 from another puppy, in my case, i copy from NOP 4.1.3..and IT WORKS! ??

I attached a copy of that b43 folder for your examination..

thanks
Attachments
b43_patch.tar.gz
(83.77 KiB) Downloaded 1433 times

trio

#2 Post by trio »

maybe just a bad iso download? but I know some people reporting the same problem

WhoDo

#3 Post by WhoDo »

trio wrote:maybe just a bad iso download? but I know some people reporting the same problem
No there's something screwy going on with the kernel packages. That /lib/firmware directory is there but isn't being seen for some reason. I've decided to copy the 4.1.1 b43 firmware directory into my kernel directory in Unleashed so we may see some difference next build ... or it may just make it worse. Trial and error I'm afraid.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

trio

#4 Post by trio »

WhoDo wrote: That /lib/firmware directory is there but isn't being seen for some reason.
Yes, it is there, but the folder doesn't contain the same things, they're different..

DaveS

#5 Post by DaveS »

trio wrote:
WhoDo wrote: That /lib/firmware directory is there but isn't being seen for some reason.
Yes, it is there, but the folder doesn't contain the same things, they're different..
In my version, folder b43 is present and contains the same thing as your download Trio. Odd.
Last edited by DaveS on Mon 11 May 2009, 10:07, edited 1 time in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#6 Post by DaveS »

Appologies, Pwidgets does NOT see my network, so it is not loading each boot.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#7 Post by DaveS »

Trio, I tried your fix but no success I am afraid. With regard to Pwidgets, sometimes when I re-boot, it reports my network signal strength as if connected, sometimes not, but the system NEVER autoconnects. Blinky does not load until I manually configure. I can also connect going through Pwireless as if I am in a wifi hot spot, so clearly my wifi IS enabled.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

aragon

#8 Post by aragon »

Kirk mentioned on http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41102:
* removed module ssb from the initrd.gz, no idea why it was there and it causes problems with bcm43xx and wl.
i don't remember any more what was the problem i only found this one:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00489

so maybe moving ssb.ko from initrd.gz to the sfs will help (and revert the createpuppy-script).

aragon

NathanO

B43

#9 Post by NathanO »

There may be more problems with this. On my HP ZV6100 none of the 4.x series Puppies auto detected the Broadcom wireless. Up thru 4.1.1 I am able to get it to work if I do an 'upgrade' from a 3.x Puppy save file. Both 2.x and 3.x picked it up and worked ever time and they used the bcm43xx driver. 4.2 and 4.2.1 do not work with it even if I do an 'upgrade'.

I can only get to a WIFI spot when I get to downtown San Antonio once every few weeks. Spent time at both the San Pedro Park Branch of the San Antonio Public Library and at San Antonio College today. No mater what I do, the only driver that says it detected the Broadcom under 4.2.1 is the B43 and I have to load it. It will not detect any networks from a clean boot with no save file or allowing an upgrade at boot using the save file. Booting back with my save file in 4.1.1 worked properly every time.

aragon

#10 Post by aragon »

Solution and patch seems to be here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 3d1#307536
by tempestuous.

aragon