Can't mount pup001 on Compaq Deskpro EP

Please post any bugs you have found
enewed

Can't mount pup001 on Compaq Deskpro EP

#1 Post by enewed »

This is my other problem I've had for sometime.

I think this one is because puppy is not set up to deal with an ATA 100 Disk Controller on a computer.

To help my 496 Mhz Celeron Mendocino computer perform better I upgraded the memory to 256MB and added a Promise Ultra100 (tm) IDE Controller, upgraded the bus connection to 168 pin, added 2 Hard Disks that are connected to the Promise controller. So instead of being hda and hdb, they are hde and hdf.

On boot up I get something like -- lbcfdisk cannot access hde or hdf, so it cannot mount pup001. I can mount partitions on the disks once puppy is up and running, but I also cannot install to Hard Disk on this computer. I have a free hdf2 partition.

I can't install because I have already mounted the disk and so it is busy.

Is there a way to compensate for an IDE controller? Is it a limitation of that program at boot up that is like fdisk? I've attached another file with the details of my computer setup, in hopes that this info helps solve a unique, but maybe not totally uncommon situation.

When you have old computers sometimes with tweaking they can run pretty damn good. This one has. I have 5 operating systems on it, and they all run pretty good with very few problems. I just have to keep an eye on my resources all the time.

Let me know if there is a solution to this one.

Thanks,
EnewEd :P
Attachments
Enewed_PromiseATA100_Partitions.zip
This is a breakdown of my 2 disks and their partitions & details on the Promise ATA 100 IDE Controller.
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
The Source is with you.