Developer: register DotPups with PupGet

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.

Developer: register DotPups with PupGet

#1 Post by Guest »

GuestToo,
I haven't tried recent DotPups. The ones I tried just installed into /root/.roxapps/.
That's fine, but if DotPups install into /usr there is a problem.

Pup v1.0.2 will throw out any "strange" files that it finds in /usr.
The reason for this is to avoid clashes, for example say that a user edits /usr/sbin/modem-wizard. When the user boots the next version of Puppy, it may be that I have developed a new improved modem-wizard, but the way the unionfs system works is that the file /root/.usr/sbin/modem-wizard will only be seen, regardless how new the modem-wizard file in usr_cram.fs is.

This purging of /usr will occur at an upgrade, when the user boots a new version of Puppy.

Legitimate packages are those installed by the PupGet package manager, and those files will not be purged.
What will happen is that /etc/rc.d/rc.update will look in /root/.packages/ and get all the files that have the extension ".files", which are the file lists for installed Pupget packages, and those files will not be purged.

Purged files are not deleted, they are moved to /tmp/USRREMOVED/ so can be retrieved -- and put back in place manually if you wish.

What needs to happen is that future DotPups that want to install into /usr, should register with Pupget as "alien packages".
This is quite easy. Just append a line into /root/.packages/alienpackages.txt, with the same format as entries in packages.txt in Unleashed.
Also, create a file list, /root/.packages/freecell-1.0.files for example, with a list of all installed files.

Registering in this way has two advantages. Firstly, the DotPup won't get thrown out at a version upgrade, secondly the PupGet package manager will recognise it's presence and will be able to uninstall it.
Note also, the Pupget package manager will recognise if usr_cram.fs has freecell installed and there is a PupGet or alien DotPup installed with that same name, freecell, then it will be unistalled to avoid clash.

...I hope that is all straightforward!

#2 Post by Guest »

Lobster is testing 1.0.2RC, and he reported that the new update script, /etc/rc.d/rc.update, removed /usr/local/bin/torsmo and leafpad.

Puppy live-CD has the latest leafpad, so removing the DotPup leafpad was good. It was in /root/.usr/local/bin/, which would have overridden the new version in usr_cram.fs.

Torsmo is also a DotPup I presume.
This is where future DotPups need to register with Pupget. I have outlined this in the previous message, but I am writing a web page right now that will have more details. It's pretty simple.

Any package, DotPup or anything, can register with Pupget, and then will not get thrown out at an upgrade.
Also, and so far this is not fully implemented -- it is implemented when the Pupget package manager is executed, not at a version upgrade -- is if the live-CD has a later version of say leafpad, any installed PupGet or DotPup, any other leafpad package installed, will get uninstalled.

Note that any DotPup that installs only into /root is not affected by all of this upgrade purging.

If you think the purging is too severe, by all means let me know.
There is the possibility that I could constrain it somewhat, that is, not throw out all files found in /root/.usr that aren't registered packages -- but only if file of the same name exists in usr_cram.fs.
If that logic was applied, then leafpad would have got removed, but torsmo would have been allowed to remain.

#3 Post by Guest »

Hmm, I was logged in, but the last post shows me as "Guest".
But, that was from me, Barry.

Probably this is most important point I made above:
----------------------------------------------
If you think the purging is too severe, by all means let me know.
There is the possibility that I could constrain it somewhat, that is, not throw out all files found in /root/.usr that aren't registered packages -- but only if file of the same name exists in usr_cram.fs.
If that logic was applied, then leafpad would have got removed, but torsmo would have been allowed to remain.
-----------------------------------------------

I've been thinking about it, and think that I have to ease up on the purging.
People ain't going to be happy if they install something then it gets thrown out.

Alienx

#4 Post by Alienx »

Anonymous wrote:
I've been thinking about it, and think that I have to ease up on the purging.
People ain't going to be happy if they install something then it gets thrown out.
I myself think the same... :roll:
Sorry, broken english above :-)