Xdelta Version 3

Miscellaneous tools
reckrhodes

Xdelta Version 3

#1 Post by reckrhodes »

Extracted from Sir BK's jaunty puppy (woof alpha 9).
Hope this might help to those wanting to have Xdelta in their Puppy.
I tried this in my Puppy 4.2.1 and it works fine.

Reuploaded - to have a click on delta file or a right click function. See help button.
Attachments
xdelta-3.0.0.pet
reuploaded - GUI scripted by Sir Barry Kauler
(84.45 KiB) Downloaded 1542 times

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi reckrhodes ,

Thanks for the xdelta. I'm glad to see this as "official" aka Barry's post.

There were some of us that wanted this in "official" releases for a long time.

Some have used it for awhile and found it an effective way to do updates.

Again..thanks,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

vg1

#3 Post by vg1 »

Excellent! Hopefully more people will start using it now.
Thanks.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Patches?

#4 Post by Billwho? »

Have installed and run the GUI. Looks promising but I can't actually test it yet. Does anyone know where I can get a delta patch to upgrade from 4.20 to 4.21? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places and using the wrong search terms in google but I have not found one yet. Or are there none available?
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

If someone volunteers to create a delta file for 4.2 to 4.2.1 that would be great.

Use my GUI if possible, as that automatically creates a .delta file with the old and new filenames contained in its filename, which makes it easy for the GUI to generate 4.2.1.

For example, if the old file is puppy-4.2.iso and the new file is puppy-4.2.1.iso then the Xdelta GUI will generate 'puppy-4.2.iso:puppy-4.2.1.iso.delta'.
If someone downloads that .delta file, all they have to do is click on it and the GUI application searches for the old file and brings up the GUI window and all the person has to do is click the 'GENERATE' button.

In alpha9 Rox recognises .delta filetypes, I don't know if the above PET package has that mime handling information in it.

I'm in Melbourne right now. After I get home, if noone has created the .delta for 4.2.1, I can do it.
I might need reminding though.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#6 Post by Billwho? »

BarryK wrote:If someone volunteers to create a delta file for 4.2 to 4.2.1 that would be great.

Use my GUI if possible, as that automatically creates a .delta file with the old and new filenames contained in its filename, which makes it easy for the GUI to generate 4.2.1.
Created a delta patch using Barry's GUI on Friday. Worked like a charm.
BarryK wrote:For example, if the old file is puppy-4.2.iso and the new file is puppy-4.2.1.iso then the Xdelta GUI will generate 'puppy-4.2.iso:puppy-4.2.1.iso.delta'.
The new delta patch file I created was named puppy-4.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso:puppy-4.2.1-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso.delta by the GUI.
I have uploaded it to puppylinux.ca and Eric is hosting it Here
At just 16MB it is a much better option for dial-up users than the full 100Mb iso. I hope we can get the developers to create an official delta file for any future puppies as well as the full iso.

Thanks for a great little application. Dead simple to use too.
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

paulhomebus

#7 Post by paulhomebus »

Just wondering why we dont' have loads of links to .delta files now?

Where would I find some?
This utility would be mighty useful for upgrading an iso from 4.2 to Lupu 5, or even 4.31 to 4.35 - or wouldn't that work?

EDIT: I have started a new topic and started uploading .delta files, hopefully to fill a gap. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58435
Last edited by paulhomebus on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.

Pizzasgood

#8 Post by Pizzasgood »

Technically it would work for going from 4.x to 5.x, but it probably wouldn't work any better than just downloading the ISO. Maybe worse. It would certainly be more hassle.

For 4.31 to 4.35, it would work nicely (I assume 4.35 is actually a descendant of 4.31).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]