Wifi Woes, can't obtain wireless ip address

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

Wifi Woes, can't obtain wireless ip address

#1 Post by peppyy »

The 600E I gave to my daughter worked fine here at home with a 2wire (Oronoco) wireless card. When she got to california she could connect at the hotel via paid wifi with no problem. I sent her a dell true mobil and the directions on how to install it along with wifibeta2 on a pen drive. I tested them very carefully several times on 2 machines HD and live, total of 4 tests and had no problems at home.

She is running 1.0.5 and wag scans and shows all available networks just fine
but when she trys to connect by toggle dhcp on she never gets an address. I sent her an unincripted router also and she can't connect to that either. Our only comunication at the moment is a limited cell phone so I can't do a whole lot of troubleshooting that way either.

At her appartment there are 4 connections available. 2 encripted which she ignores and 2 with encription off which she can't connect to no mater what we have tried. Am I missing something?

I talked to my father in Atlanta today and he set his Puptop on the diningroom table at his girlfriends house, ran wag and was checking his e-mail with the exact same setup in minutes.

Could a file have gotten corrupted or something?
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

keenerd

#2 Post by keenerd »

So she has no internet at all? That makes thing more difficult. Normally I would suggest running /usr/local/WAG/debug, but she wouldn't have any way to forward the results to you.

As for your father, is he using the same model laptop and the same True Mobil card?

Why not just send her the Oronoco?

peppyy

#3 Post by peppyy »

She has a 2wire, same chipset as my orinoco which also will not aquire a wireless ip address. I sent hre the new drivers to replace the oronoco_cs but havent had her install them yet so that card dosn't scan yet. I also sent her a wired card and that will not connect, reports as active but can't get an address with auto dhcpcd from either the modem or the router. Perhaps that is what needs to be fixed?

She has 3 cards and a router and still can't connect.

Edit:
Dad has a 600E 1.0.5 and a network everywhere cheepie card that scans. Think the drivers were in the wifibeta.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

peppyy

#4 Post by peppyy »

Talked with her again tonight and after an hour we gave up. I had her try well known free wifi connections that other people had no problems with and still no luck. I think I will send her another Puptop and the money to ship that one back to me. I am sure when I get it I will have it online in no time but it is worth it to me to swap them out just for the agrivation factor alone. I will just have her save anything she needs on the pen drive and try to install everything she has on that one before I send it out.

I really have no other ideas on how to fix it. Perhaps it is the machine and not the software but I can't tell from here. I just hope she sends it back, I am still waiting for the trunk key for her car.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

peppyy

Update

#5 Post by peppyy »

The laptop I sent seems to work fine so either it is an issue with a corrupt file or she didn't follow my directions correctely with her driver instalation. When she gets around to it she will send it back and I will just reinstall or even upgrade to 1.0.7.
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

sprizz

#6 Post by sprizz »

I seemed to have had that same problem configuring my wireless with wag, but when i rebooted and ran wag a second time, dhcp worked and I obtained an ip addy fine...don't know
Puppy 1.0.7 (cd image on hdd)
HP pavilion ze4900