Firefox and Abiword in GTK1

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
JaDy

Firefox and Abiword in GTK1

#1 Post by JaDy »

I'd like to see an unleashed version of the latest Firefox re-compiled for GTK1. Same for abiword. If not, I'll have to use mozilla-1.7.8gtk1 and ted or textmaker-f.e.

I'm working on a tiny version of Puppy version 1.0.3 for 24MB systems, like my ThinkPad 560. I want to exclude GTK2, QT3 and any apps that use them (so Opera is out). I do want a full-featured browser and a full-featured word processor.

Don't need a mail program because most mail servers have web access. Besides, sylpheed can be added by the user. Furthermore, this tiny version is for road-travel computers where one doesn't really want to maintain their saved mail but rather leave the mail on the server for later retrieval at home.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

EarlSmith

#2 Post by EarlSmith »

JaDy, if you get this mini-Pup working could you put it in DotPups or somewhere so we can download it? I would really be interested in a really small Puppy with Mozilla and Abiword if it could run in 32mb or less. I have two old laptops that run fine except one is 48mb and the other is 32mb. They both have 2gb hd and p166 pentiums.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

We can compile Firefox for GTK1, but not Abiword -- current version of Abiword needs GTK 2.2 minimum.
There is probably an ancient version of Abiword that works with GTK1.
...maybe, I'm not sure, as Abiword has used GTK2 for a long time.

JaDy

#4 Post by JaDy »

EarlSmith: Certainly I intend to publish "mini-Pup" as you call it, but not as a DotPup 'cause it's an unleashed variation, not an application. I call it PupWin95.zip. Looks like it won't have Abiword (see reply from BarryK) but ted and/or textmaker. Reason is, to keep size small GTK2 won't fit. I'll also document in detail exactly how I put it together -- it'll serve as a tutorial-by-example on how to use Puppy Unleashed.

BarryK: I suspected Abiword couldn't be re-compiled, but I had to ask. I was pretty sure Firefox could be re-compiled with GTK1 because you've already done it with Mozilla. I look forward with hope to the Firefox-GTK1 version and meanwhile I'll proceed with testing and experimenting using Mozilla-GTK1 version and leave out word processing for now to make room.
Felicitations & Facilitations, Rev. John G. Derrickson
Wrote fast. Goofs happen. Tell me.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Well, you can compile Firefox yourself!

Here is the configuration options for compiling Moz 1.7.8 gtk1:

Code: Select all

./configure --localstatedir=/var --prefix=/usr --host=i486-pc-linux-gnu --with-x --with-pthreads --with-system-jpeg --with-system-zlib --with-system-png --enable-default-toolkit=gtk --disable-ldap --enable-calendar --enable-xft --disable-pango --enable-postscript --disable-xprint --disable-gnomevfs --disable-gnomeui --enable-crypto --disable-jsd --enable-plugins --disable-logging --enable-strip --enable-necko-protocols=all --disable-debug --disable-necko-disk-cache --enable-necko-small-buffers --enable-mathml --enable-composer --disable-xinerama --disable-freetype2 --enable-cookies --enable-extensions=cookie,transformiix,wallet,xmlextras --enable-mailnews --enable-application=suite --disable-accessibility
Obviously some of those need to be changed for Firefox.
For example, "--enable-application=firefox"
If you download the Firefox source, run:

# ./configure --help
to see the options.

The compiling process is:

# ./configure ...all the options here...
# make
# cd xpinstall/packager
# make
...then the binary tarball will be found in dist/ folder.

[/code]