Trouble installing SCIM m17n in Puppy 3.01

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Aitch

#541 Post by Aitch »

Courtesy: xkcd.com/comics

:lol: :lol:

Hi, Irihapeti, have you seen the localization thread?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38371

I'm sure you could add something of the efforts of the team from this thread, as localization's now mainstream Puppy

Aitch :)

Irihapeti

#542 Post by Irihapeti »

I had a quick look at that, Aitch, but it's rather over my head. I'm not a developer; I only compile other people's programs.

One thing I believe still needs attention: that ordinary, unlocalised Puppy be able to display non-Latin characters in dialogue boxes and window title bars. (Assuming, of course, that the necessary fonts have been installed.) I have an idea that it has to do with the "C locale" - some programs can't use the locale files and use the default, and the default is not compiled to handle non-Latin characters. At least, that's what I think it is; a developer would be able to clarify that.

Irihapeti

Aitch

#543 Post by Aitch »

Hi Irihapeti

Thanks, update courtesy of MU
MU wrote:how to use arab, chinese etc. in messageboxes using "gxmessage" instead of "xmessage":
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25319

Replacing "yaf-splash":
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=25536

Mark
HTH

Aitch :)

straypup

SCIM Patch

#544 Post by straypup »

Just d/l and burned 4.2.1rc2. SCIM installed without a hitch and worked without patching. Have been using UTF=8 character set for Thai without problems. Also works in e-mail for me. :D
stray

Irihapeti

Re: SCIM Patch

#545 Post by Irihapeti »

straypup wrote:Just d/l and burned 4.2.1rc2. SCIM installed without a hitch and worked without patching. Have been using UTF=8 character set for Thai without problems. Also works in e-mail for me. :D
stray
Yes, the patch is only needed for Puppy 4.2. There have been some changes made in the 4.2.1 version -glad to know it's working.

Swarup

#546 Post by Swarup »

Hey, what's going on? It's been a while since I could come back here. What is the news? What is the latest on the development of all our work for the international puppy? How is everyone doing?

Best regards,
Swarup

Irihapeti

#547 Post by Irihapeti »

Good to see you back, Swarup. How are you?

I guess I can only really comment for myself as regards development and such like. Well, what I do isn't development: I only compile other people's programs and test them. Anyway, I've done very little recently, because I figured that the bulk of the work had been done - at least, the work that I can do. I brought the "scim not working in Puppy 4.2" issue to the attention of the developers, and it was fixed. I still dish out a bit of help when it's asked for, both here and on the Ubuntu forums.

Scim has recently become a tool that I use, as distinct from one I'm interested in because of its usefulness to others. I've begun learning Mandarin, so naturally I need to be able to input it. Learning Mandarin is hard work, but the saying "Use it or lose it" applies to brains, not just muscles and joints.

I had big move recently, from small-town/rural New Zealand to its largest city. Now that I've got my main computer back out of storage, maybe it's time to compile and test the latest versions of Scim and Scim-bridge.

I gather that Ramesh has been making serious use of Puppy with Scim, but maybe he should be the one to tell that story.

puppyiso

#548 Post by puppyiso »

I wonder when I see Korean version or Korean input possible version come out. Is it that hard or no one is interested in?

I wish I could do it myself. I wish.

When I followed the instruction in wikipage at Puppylinux.org, the Korean letter typing method was wrong. I asked around but no one could answer.

All I could do was to put Gnome clothes and adding online IME but somebody laughed at the speed of Gnome.

Very discouraged. I hope this problem will be solved in the near future by someone willing to tackle this matter. I can help translation at least.

John

runtt21

#549 Post by runtt21 »

Dude, you cant give up on a project like your gnome puppy just cause "somebody laughed at the speed of Gnome" So what !!!!If it does what YOU need it to do , That is what matters. And if that is what it takes for you to get the language support you need , Stick with it .

puppyiso

#550 Post by puppyiso »

Thank you, runtt21

Actually, it wasn't my project. I just followed Wow an MU's istructructions and used their files.

I have been posting all over for small and fast "neo classic" Puppylinux but the Gnome Puppy got bigger than I hoped.

I wouldn't claim it as my own derivative but I think I should continue "the journey to Korean Puppy using Gnome WM" When done, I will share with anyone who are interested in. The only problem is the site I have has bandwidth limitation of 1GB.

Thank you again, runtt21

John S

Irihapeti

#551 Post by Irihapeti »

Puppyiso:

Apparently the input methods in scim-m17n and scim-tables aren't really meant for native speakers of Korean. It's recommended that they use scim-hangul instead.

I have just compiled scim-hangul and libhangul on Puppy 2.17 and uploaded them to puppylinux.asia To download them go to http://puppylinux.asia/members/Irihapeti/; you will need to enter the user name puppy and the password linux.

Because I know no Korean at all, I can't really test that they are working properly. If you could install and test them, it would be very helpful.

If they are OK I can then ask Caneri to copy them to puppylinux.ca

Thanks
Irihapeti

puppyiso

#552 Post by puppyiso »

Irihapeti, I tried on Gnome Puppy(Wow and MU's work)but it said I am missing some files as shown in the screenshot I attached.

Hoping that won't be a big problem, I rebooted but the Gnome wm is gone. Now I am back to the original PULP.

So I am posting this from PULP.

I know I didn't use Puppy 2.17 so I will try again when I have 2.17.

I have no idea why Gnome is gone. I really don't think it has anything to do with the two pet files.

But I think I have to add the missing files to make it work. Now please tell me how do I switch on the scim-hangul? CTRL+SHIFT? I need to know the short cut.

I will get back to you after trying 2.17.

John
Attachments
Screenshot-scim-hangul 1.png
(54.47 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

puppyiso

#553 Post by puppyiso »

The version 2.17 couldn't boot after I install those two pet files.
I took the monitor photo but it's 2 AM. I am too tired. I will upload later.

Irihapeti

#554 Post by Irihapeti »

Puppyiso:
You don't need to use Puppy 2.17. I just use it for compiling. Stuff compiled in 2.17 will work in all later versions. If I compile in a later version, the files may not work in earlier ones. Sorry for the confusion.

From your screenshot, it looks as though you have not installed the actual scim .pet and maybe scim-bridge also. If you install those two (also available from puppylinux.asia) then it should work.

If you got your scim and scim-bridge files from somewhere else, they may have been compiled differently. In that case, remove them and replace them with the versions from http://www.puppylinux.asia/members/Irihapeti

For further details on what to do once the files are all installed, see here:
http://www.puppylinux.org/wiki/multi-li ... -installed

If something's still not clear, please ask.

To anyone interested:
Is there anyone else out there who knows Korean and would like to test these packages?

puppyiso

#555 Post by puppyiso »

I rebuilt Gnome Pup now based on ChoicePup mini.
And installed the 4 pet files you mentioned and even played with scim control and read throughly the "after scim install" page but still not working.

Of course, I added Korean fonts(ttf) in the right folder too.
Changed settings many times but I see no way of Korean letter input.

Some Gnome menus are now Korean.

What else should I install?

Irihapeti

#556 Post by Irihapeti »

Puppyiso:
What happens when you open Geany or OpenOffice or Leafpad and press ctrl-space? If scim is working properly, the input method panel should appear.

Scim has two configuration files: /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules and /root/.xinitrc (You'll need to show hidden files to see the last one.) Do you have both of these on your system. If they are in different places, that would be one reason for things not working.

It could be worth trying a standard version of Puppy first, and getting scim to work on that. The font file and the four scim packages should be all that you need.

Actually, I've just remembered that gconv4dingo was needed for some forms of Japanese input in Puppy 4. You could try installing that, if you are using a version based on Puppy 4. It's on puppylinux.asia, in the same place as the other files.

puppyiso

#557 Post by puppyiso »

As you can see in the attached image, the files do exist.

I cannot find the keyboard icon nor the selection icon in Gnome window.

Tried ctrl+space bar, shift+space bar nothing works.

It is too bad that I have to leave my computer next 8 days or so.

When I comeback, I will try again with "regular" puppies.

Thank you for your help.

John S
Attachments
all ingred for scim 1.png
(108.16 KiB) Downloaded 536 times

Irihapeti

#558 Post by Irihapeti »

puppyiso wrote:As you can see in the attached image, the files do exist.

I cannot find the keyboard icon nor the selection icon in Gnome window.

Tried ctrl+space bar, shift+space bar nothing works.

It is too bad that I have to leave my computer next 8 days or so.

When I comeback, I will try again with "regular" puppies.

Thank you for your help.

John S
You're welcome.

Scim can be very frustrating to get working, sometimes. It's not the most user-friendly program to set up, in my experience.

If I have any other ideas of things to try, during the next week or so, I'll post them here.

Irihapeti

puppyiso

#559 Post by puppyiso »

I am in different city with someone else's computer given to me to use temporarily. I don't have the files I downloaded from the puppylinux.asia site.

When I revisited the site, I found the site has exceeded its bandwidth limit.

Well, I guess I have to wait till July.

Or if you give me the file names and I will try to find them on the internet. (but of course puppylinux.ca first)

Those got to be somewhere.

John
Attachments
delay.png
(78.66 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

Irihapeti

#560 Post by Irihapeti »

Hi Puppyiso

The files you need are now on www.puppylinux.ca/members/Irihapeti and they are:

scim-1.4.7-i486.pet
scim-bridge-0.4.15-i486.pet
libhangul-0.0.9-i486.pet
scim-hangul-0.3.2-i486.pet

It's best not to use .pet packages from other sources, because they are often compiled differently, and that adds yet another possible source of frustration.

I have tested the hangul packages in Puppy 4.2 (with the replacement gtk+ packages) and it's working. I suggest starting with a standard Puppy, get that working, and then add the other features such as Gnome.

Puppylinux.ca still allowed me to download at the time of this post, by the way.