How to make multiple run actions with Rox's SendTo

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Bruce B

How to make multiple run actions with Rox's SendTo

#1 Post by Bruce B »

The purpose of this little how-to is to explain how to have different run actions with Rox. As you have probably learned, clicking an icon in Rox will execute the run action, if a run action is defined. For example, clicking on a .txt file will open the file with leafpad.

You can change the run action by right clicking on the icon and select 'Set Run Action ...', if the option is available for that particular type of file. If you want to change the run action for a .txt file, you can enter 'beaver' in place of 'leafpad'. Thereafter, your text files will open with Beaver when you click on them with Rox.

Suppose I would like to open a .html file with Firefox, I simply set the run action to 'firefox'. Easy enough. But sometimes I want to open a .html file with Mozilla Composer. In other words, I would like options to open files with different applications, to suit my needs. It is pretty easy to do using Rox's SendTo.

In this example, I will show you how to open a .html file for editing in Mozilla.

Make the following shell script:

------------
#!/bin/sh
mozilla -edit "$@"
-------------

Name the file something like: mozilla-composer

Right click permissions and make the file executable

Move the file to /root/Choices/SendTo

That's it.

Now if you want to open a .html file for editing instead of viewing, you can right click on it, and send it to mozilla-composer in Rox's SendTo

Of course you can to this will all types of files and programs. I just used the .html as an example.

Have fun!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Associate program and file

#2 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

I've tried this in 1.0.2 and can't get it to work Bruce.

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Ian, in retrospect I think Mozilla was not the best example to use for showing how to open apps with SendTo.

I had replaced Puppy's Mozilla along with the symlinks.

The default mozilla link is mozilla -> mozstart and that is probably what is stopping it from running.

If you want to try linking to Mozilla directly here is the command to make a new link

ln -sf /usr/lib/mozilla-1.8b1.3/mozilla /usr/local/bin/mozilla

To put it back as it was:

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -sf mozilla mozstart