TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

News, happenings
wdm

#21 Post by wdm »

Hi kayan,

Yes, You should be able to do a frugal install. That is the way I like to use puppy.

kayan

#22 Post by kayan »

@wdm
can you post your grub entry for TEENpup :)
[color=blue]SAHARA laptop intel celeron M 1.4 GHz/ 768Mb Ram /40GB ,SIS 661 chipset,[/color]

Torp

WPA2

#23 Post by Torp »

Hi

Thank's for a your great work!!

Makes it fun to use my old Hp OmniBook again, really saved it from ending up in the trash bin :)

I have only run in to one problem so far and it's how to get my wireless WPA2 connection to work. It seems like the network wizzard doesn't support wireless WPA2 connections or maybe WPA2 is not supported in TEENpup at all. My Wcard is a DWL-G650+ and works just fine with the acx* driver in Puppy Linux 4.2.1.

I guess I'm missing something here so it would be great with some help to point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

runtt21

#24 Post by runtt21 »

Sneekylinux has post a video of teenpup :

http://blip.tv/file/2234341

wdm

#25 Post by wdm »

@kayan
can you post your grub entry for TEENpup
Here are the grub enteries for the puppies currently on this machine:

Code: Select all

title TeenPup 2.14
    rootnoverify (hd0,3)
    kernel (hd0,3)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 PMEDIA=idehd PDEV1=hda4 acpi=force 
    initrd (hd0,3)/initrd.gz

title MacPup 4.12F
   rootnoverify (hd0,0)
   kernel (hd0,0)/macpup/vmlinuz pmedia=idehd acpi=force psubdir=macpup
   initrd (hd0,0)/macpup/initrd.gz
You may not need acpi=force unless you have an old computer. I have TeenPup in it's own partition so no psubdir.

I hope this is what you need.

vg1

#26 Post by vg1 »

psubdir will not work with teenpup [p214]

dsleaf67

Re: Booting teenpup 2009

#27 Post by dsleaf67 »

jduffy22335 wrote:
markofkane wrote:Mine won't finish booting either,

Edit: "Cannot find Puppy on 'ideCD' boot media" :(
I also have a Boot error, I believe it maybe SATA Raid Controller (it is raid off /normal mode). It does a search of the drives then either reports can not find idecd, or idehd when booting via gldr.

Is there a parameter to pass? or is it that I have too new a hardware for the kernel ? 214R does work as well as the 214X (ttuuxx) is working.

Thanks, it could just be the onset of a senior moment.
Thanks John This is GREAT!.

I got the same problem when I tried on my acer aspire One. It does seem to boot under some modifications. The iso I used with unetbootin seemed to leave the entry in syslinux.cfg as pmedia=idecd. I simply changed it to pmedia=usbcard (since I used unetbootin to put it on USB stick). That seemed to work wonderfully. The issue left now is getting a better screen interface in xorg as all I could get one my aspire one is 800x600.

Thanks again and I hope this helps those with the above error

jm2k7

#28 Post by jm2k7 »

hello, I had a little problem, I get an error when loading the cd.

I get the following:

ERROR cannot find Puppy on "idecd" boot media

PUPMode=1 PDEV=

Exited to initial-ramdisk (dev/ram0) commandline...

(the linux-guru can now debug, 'e3' editor is avaible).

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off.

#: _

I think this distro is incompatible with the DVD SATA support

I have a ASROCK - Wolfdale1333-D667 v2.0
with a DVD-RW SATA Super multi

This distro works well with IDE DVD drives, but SATA brings problems.

Thanks, nice distro..

Artie

#29 Post by Artie »

Hi John I'm testing out Teenpup. So far it works fine but I've run into a little snag which I hope you can help me with to do with the latest Opera beta. Here's what I did:

I downloaded the opera-10.00.4402beta.pet and installed. Found opera.sh in opt/opera10beta/ and dragged it to the desktop. Rightclicked to File 'opera' -> Set Icon... went to /opt/opera10beta/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/opera.png and tried to drag the icon into the Set Icon... box but nothing happens... thanks for any suggestion.

Artie

john biles

#30 Post by john biles »

Hello Artie,
You need to change the icon in opt/opera10beta/opera.sh, not the desktop and then drag it to the desktop.

To those having trouble with SATA drives all that I can say is that the same problems that effect Puppy 2.14 will effect TEENpup. I don't believe I modified anything that would cause this problem?

As for the 800 x 600 screen resolution there was a trick you could do
I know you had to type "915resolution -l" in Terminal and it gave you possible screen resolutions. You then needed to pick a screen resolution number that you wouldn't use and type in "915resolution 38 1024 600 16" in terminal. Now rerun the xorgwizard and you should be able to select 1024 x 600 from the choices given. Note: 38 in this example is the screen resolution number chosen that could be over written. Also you'll need to do this every time you boot TEENpup, sorry!

Try searching or posting on the forum for a better fix.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Artie

#31 Post by Artie »

Thanks for the suggestion but I have no idea how to change the opera.sh icon.

Artie

ttuuxxx

#32 Post by ttuuxxx »

john biles wrote:Hello Artie,
You need to change the icon in opt/opera10beta/opera.sh, not the desktop and then drag it to the desktop.

To those having trouble with SATA drives all that I can say is that the same problems that effect Puppy 2.14 will effect TEENpup. I don't believe I modified anything that would cause this problem?

Hi John don't bother looking for SataDvd fix for 2.14 it just doesn't work, It would of been a kernel module, The only early 2 series that SataDvd worked on was 2.14R, and now the continued updated 2.14.1X that I've been working on. even have glibc 2.5 and the latest glib,gtk etc on it, So Firefox 3.5 and flash ten runs perfect on it. When I'm finished it could make a nice teenpup future base.
ttuuxxx

Ps your latest version looks really nice, Great Job on it John :wink:
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello ttuuxxx,
Thank you for the info on SATA Drives, this will answer alot of questions for those having trouble. I'm looking forward to your updated Puppy 2.14R.
Having glibc 2.5 and your other improvements will open up a lot of extra opportunities for the next release of TEENpup. Thank you!

joaorafaeldp

Pup

#34 Post by joaorafaeldp »

I Want to now if tennpup 2009 can uses .pup and .pet ?
thanks

kayan

#35 Post by kayan »

@wdm
thanks for the grub entry. :)

@vg1
psubdir will not work with teenpup [p214]
do you mean to say that Teen pup will not work in sub dir but should have a separate partition to work? :(
[color=blue]SAHARA laptop intel celeron M 1.4 GHz/ 768Mb Ram /40GB ,SIS 661 chipset,[/color]

puponmanyoldlaptops

TEENpup 2009 Legacy available for Download

#36 Post by puponmanyoldlaptops »

Hello, John and all. One of my older (Pentium III Dell) computers booted beautifully with Legacy here at home. This Puppy will be shared with the converts in my circle. =^)

I'm beyond impressed with this work. Great graphics, superb program-list, and despite the full-size of the Distro, it's a perfect compliment to the Puppy family.

It's great that the older systems still have a support-base with this robust and full-featured operating system, and I thank and compliment you on the hard work you've done to keep it so.

With the recent pricing found on some auction sites for Pentium III computers, (featuring free shipping), this concept of affordable allows far more people access to very useful technology for very little money.

Thank you.

All the best,
puponmanyoldlaptops

john biles

#37 Post by john biles »

Hello puponmanyoldlaptops,
Thank you for your comments. I too don't want to see perfectly usable Pentium III PC's end up in landfill.

Hello joaorafaeldp,
TEENpup allows you to install both pup and pet packages. Just be aware that pet packages created for the Puppy 3 and 4 series won't always work because of TEENpup being based on the Puppy 2 series. As always try any pup or pet while running live to confirm it works as expected.

gheramagni

TEENpup 2009

#38 Post by gheramagni »

Hi,

I tried to boot with the the iso downloaded from puppulinux.org and cannot boot, same situation but with a different error with the iso got from softpedia.

I will post tomorrow the two errors.

No problems of running other puppy official (4.0 series) and derivatives on my old P III 1 ghz, 768 mb RAMh on Asus cuple VM motherboard with Zenwalk 6.0 on hd installed.

thanks a lot anyway

Gherardo

vg1

#39 Post by vg1 »

Kayan,

well, not necessarily its own partition, but the files have to be on root. Teenpup [and p214] will not work from a folder. Psubdir was only implemented from p216 [and p214R].
There are ways around it if you must have it in a directory. Read about it here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=165 and here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=41, or search for my other posts on the subject.

vg

richard.a

#40 Post by richard.a »

markofkane wrote:Edit: "Cannot find Puppy on 'ideCD' boot media" :(
Sounds like you are using a SATA CD Drive to me.

Edit
I have proved that this is the case with my only SATA drive box; I'm looking at a work-around if one is possible, the results of which will be posted to the next page. Fingers crossed lol
/Edit

I have one machine that has SATA - a very large HDD and a DVD writer. I get this every time I try and run an early pup on it.

Brand new MSI mobo with Intel stuff on it, in a spare "Leader" case someone took the guts out of.

BTW just downloaded the ISO and haven't yet burned.

John I have a bunch of older computers so when I get it running, I'll report back.

Richard in Adelaide
recovering from continual coughing but I'm not going oink-oink yet :)
Last edited by richard.a on Sun 21 Jun 2009, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]