Fake XP look

Themes, icons, wallpapers, etc.
steve_s

#41 Post by steve_s »

Has anyone checked out xfe? I saw ttuuxxx's thread about it...talk about a windows like file manager...I've attached a screenshot on mine and I'm not really looking for windows-like but it sure does resemble it...it's configurable, can have one or two or three panels, has different icon themes...I've at least included it on mine... 8)
Attachments
xfe-screenie1.jpg
(122.44 KiB) Downloaded 3099 times

steve_s

#42 Post by steve_s »

Ok, I needed just a little more clarification/closure on this thread.

Of the almost 200 icewm themes I've seen, plus backgrounds, here are the ones that look (in my opinion) the most like the 3 basic Xp themes, blue, silver and olive.

Feel free to disagree, BUT SHOW YOUR WORK! :D

I am going to attach each of the pets for the icon theme (one I did earlier in this thread) and for each of the icewm themes (jwm just doesn't look as much like xp so icewm is the way to go with this project, even though I prefer jwm on my own system).

Finally I'll attach a tar.gz file (either this post or the next, depending on how the forum allows it) of all of this stuff together. You could just click on that, unpack it to a folder of your choosing then run the pet files from there (just click on 'em) and put the wallpapers in /usr/share/backgrounds (or just have the wallpaper selector pick 'em out of the folder that you created; or just add your own wallpaper).

Preferred themes/background for each:
Blue:
icewm-theme: xp-new
gtk-theme: clearlooks deepsky (included in 4.2.1)
wallpaper: bliss-royale

Silver:
icewm-theme: silver
gtk-theme: clearlooks quicksilver (included in 4.2.1)
wallpaper: uluru

Olive:
icewm-theme: WinXP-Olive
gtk-theme: clearlooks olive (included in 4.2.1)
wallpaper: parq

I've also noticed that the small menu icons in icewm don't want to change as readily for me in 4.2.1, but seem to be fine in jwm...that's the first I've noticed that. Anyone else have that issue?

Enjoy!
Attachments
xp-silver-screenie1.jpg
(87.09 KiB) Downloaded 3094 times
xp-blue-screenie1.jpg
(70.42 KiB) Downloaded 3210 times
xp-smallicons.pet
(61.2 KiB) Downloaded 1080 times
xp-new-icewmtheme.pet
(63.96 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
silver-icewmtheme.pet
(178.42 KiB) Downloaded 1168 times
winxp-olive-icewmtheme.pet
(133.64 KiB) Downloaded 984 times

steve_s

#43 Post by steve_s »

As promised, here is a tar.gz file of all that stuff that I talked about on the last post... 8)

37fleetwood

#44 Post by 37fleetwood »

I just got done reading this thread through and have a few questions. I notice you are trying to get Jwm and Icewm to look like XP wouldn't it be much easier to start with something like NOP with Xfce4 which starts out looking XPish. with a very few tweaks Xfce will look very like what you want. ad the icons and wallpaper, change the start button, and voila! Xfce also has the advantage of the two paned file browser Thunar and the interactive control panel which though not XPish of itself will make sense to an XP user.
here is a link to an Xp theme at Xfce-look.org:
http://www.xfce-look.org/content/show.p ... tent=83797
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

steve_s

#45 Post by steve_s »

37fleetwood wrote:I just got done reading this thread through and have a few questions. I notice you are trying to get Jwm and Icewm to look like XP wouldn't it be much easier to start with something like NOP with Xfce4 which starts out looking XPish. with a very few tweaks Xfce will look very like what you want. ad the icons and wallpaper, change the start button, and voila! Xfce also has the advantage of the two paned file browser Thunar and the interactive control panel which though not XPish of itself will make sense to an XP user.
Really, in my case (I didn't start the thread) it was more of a just see if you can do it type thing and found out it was very easy...

Certainly your way is another way to go...

To be honest with you, in the grand scheme of converting-xp'ers-to-puppy there may be more to customizing than to making it look like xp: I recently set up my wife's laptop with puppy, adding the pink icons and butterflies and such and, even after years of trying to convince her with the doesn't-it-look-like-xp concept, she suddenly was an instant convert. :wink:

Gorilla no baka

#46 Post by Gorilla no baka »

steve_s wrote:
37fleetwood wrote:I just got done reading this thread through and have a few questions. I notice you are trying to get Jwm and Icewm to look like XP wouldn't it be much easier to start with something like NOP with Xfce4 which starts out looking XPish. with a very few tweaks Xfce will look very like what you want. ad the icons and wallpaper, change the start button, and voila! Xfce also has the advantage of the two paned file browser Thunar and the interactive control panel which though not XPish of itself will make sense to an XP user.
Really, in my case (I didn't start the thread) it was more of a just see if you can do it type thing and found out it was very easy...

Certainly your way is another way to go...

To be honest with you, in the grand scheme of converting-xp'ers-to-puppy there may be more to customizing than to making it look like xp: I recently set up my wife's laptop with puppy, adding the pink icons and butterflies and such and, even after years of trying to convince her with the doesn't-it-look-like-xp concept, she suddenly was an instant convert. :wink:

From my own experience with my ex-girl friends...It does not matter if it is a red hat a debian a windows 2000 or windows seven...

All they want is pinkie desktops and little hearts flowing bouncing all over the desktop//
[img]http://i44.tinypic.com/29zdifo.jpg[/img]
[b]
[color=red]I'M IN MY OWN WORLD[/color].[/b] [color=darkred]IT'S OK, THEY KNOW ME HERE..!!![/color]

37fleetwood

#47 Post by 37fleetwood »

in my case it was simply that I wanted a simple interface and to be able to avoid the terminal. us ex-Xper's don't need an XP look alike we need something relatively easy to figure out. recently Linux has changed from something for techies to something more suited for daily use by anyone. recently I had a friend who I finally talked into trying Linux. I handed him two options Puppy NOP and OpenGEU which uses enlightenment, he chose OpenGEU because it was stunning looking. everyone knows enlightenment is about as far from XP as Linux gets. again give us an easy to figure out interface and it doesn't have to look like Windows at all. :wink:
[color=darkblue][b]Thanks!
Scott 8) [/b][/color]
[color=darkblue][size=150]I'm a PC... Without Windows[/size][/color]

ttuuxxx

#48 Post by ttuuxxx »

Its ok maybe for some as a short lived transitional phase, As long as its kept basic, but once the Linux newbee gets a taste of what we've done with other versions of puppy, They usually will change over to a purest linux release. It just has to feel a bit like something they are used too, but Women on the other hand, dress it up in pink, maybe a cute background like that teletubbies which was in the wallpaper section, or a b/w picture of topless guy, and Firefox with a IE7 theme and they should be good to go, a Skype install link might also be needed, women like to chit chat, lol
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

ecomoney

#49 Post by ecomoney »

Firefox with a IE7 theme
I would concurr

Long term change requires short term compromise.

I would like to see standard puppy be more "reminiscent" of other OS's people are already used to. This "hooks them in" and then they go onto more "pure" linux forms. If puppy is a tool for "linux newbies" then it is also a tool for learning linux. When teaching something new, start with something the student already knows about (I hold a teaching qualification).

Women do like chit chat (according to national health statistics they suffer a far higher percentage of problems with their Jaws!). Facebook chat is a must but either requires JAVA (huge) or a simply attym plugin (tiny). Since proportionally not many women are involved (yet) in the Open Source development process, its up to us to make sure their needs are catered for.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

pri

fake xp ... fake microsoft i think...

#50 Post by pri »

as long i work computer for my custumer, not only look like XP but must look like microsoft, so i decided to change all puppy look going to similar with Microsoft.

a new user is afraid when computer they use, is deferent then he was use. when iam using open office, they cannot recognice the icon, so i change the icon with Microsoft icon.

an other thing on puppy (linux) is the filemanager who very deferent than Explorer on Xp. but rox on puppy is a great choice. i can teach them how to use it in a few second, but if i teach how to use a Explorer on Xp it more than a minute. user just need how to move file from flashdisk and what his working, downloading or other else.

for chating, i think now is era for facebook, so i decided to move all chat client, yahoo just a gateaway to make facebook id on my country, but i not leg it go, we can still using yahoo mesengger web for chating or meebo for suport other chat server.

this is example of ny client look :

ttuuxx : i use your idea to use fbpanel and openbox, because if using jwm, dialog box when upload something on firefox is always over the screen so user must remove to the top to klik on ok buton.
Learning by Doing

ecomoney

#51 Post by ecomoney »

For the filemanager I would choose XFE (theres a pet somewhere). I agree about facebook being the primary chat platform. Puppy is really bad at supporting facebook at the moment (or facebook is really bad at supporting linux!). Ive only had seamonkey 2.0 and firefox 3.5 on puppy working with this, and there are no precompiled .pets around for those at the moment. FB chat is an absolute essentional to 90% of the people I know with puppy.
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

steve_s

#52 Post by steve_s »

ecomoney wrote:For the filemanager I would choose XFE (theres a pet somewhere). I agree about facebook being the primary chat platform. Puppy is really bad at supporting facebook at the moment (or facebook is really bad at supporting linux!). Ive only had seamonkey 2.0 and firefox 3.5 on puppy working with this, and there are no precompiled .pets around for those at the moment. FB chat is an absolute essentional to 90% of the people I know with puppy.
...I like Opera for Facebook...just my two cents...

Stoil89

Browser for Facebook

#53 Post by Stoil89 »

Changes have been made recently by Facebook developers because of which changes not all site elements are shown correctly except the used browser is a modern Mozilla based.
I suggest putting Flock because it's a social browser, Firefox-based, and doesn't create as big urlclassifier file as Firefox does. I use Flock, I've put it in /usr/local/ and the directory is counted to 36 MB.