Puppy CD wont boot, says usr_cram.fs not installed

Booting, installing, newbie
some dude

Puppy CD wont boot, says usr_cram.fs not installed

#1 Post by some dude »

Ok so i downloaded puppy linux,burnt it,stuck it in cd drive and rebooted.
All was fine.It loads and comes up with the yellow text and tells me to hit enter if im not upgrading.Im not so i hit enter.it asks me for another enter so i do.It does a keyboard config thing and then says some thing about the file X not found and that usr_cram.fs was not installed.nothing else happens from there.What do I do?

#2 Post by Guest »

There is likely something wrong with the CD. Were there any errors during the burning of the CD? If so, just try burning the CD again but reboot the computer (to free up system resources) before you do the buring.

If there were no errors, perhaps the iso image file is corrupt. Check it's md5sum to detect corruption. You will need the md5sum.txt (or similarly named file) for the image file and the "md5sum" (without the quotes) program.

If you are already using Linux, it likely includes the md5sum program. If you are using Windows, you will need to download the the (MSDOS) md5sum program. By the way, md5sum is a text-based program.

#3 Post by Guest »

One other thing you could try is entering 2 at the boot: _ prompt and then pressing enter.

However, those instructions won't make sense if you have downloaded and burnt the "mulitsession only" iso image file. Do you see this or similar text below the picture of the puppy?

MENU: 2 No acpi 3 Choose HD (ENTER only or 10sec timeout for normal boot)
boot: _

If not, then you are using the "multisession only" version. If everything happens too fast to see after the CD is inserted, then a "multisession only" CD is being used. If either of the two afore mentioned conditions are true, you need to download the other iso image file.

I found the difference between the names of the "multisession only" and normal image files so negligible that I renamed my copy once I downloaded it to avoid confusion. Some searching on Puppy's website will be ncessary to find out which image file can run as either a normal live CD or a multisession CD.

#4 Post by Guest »

:oops: I checked the download page and it isn't as confusing as it used to be; it is very user friendly.