Ripperx not ripping all of song (Solved?)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

Ripperx not ripping all of song (Solved?)

#1 Post by Billwho? »

My problem was that whenever I tried to create Mp3 files with RipperX only a part of the song/s was converted to Mp3.

This was happening on 2 seperate machines
(1) Intel Celeron 2.80 Ghz
512 Mb RAM
Window$ XP (on Vfat partition )
Puppy 1.0.6 Live CD
Home
(2) Intel Pentium III 700 odd Mhz
64 Mb RAM
Window$ 98SE
Puppy 1.0.6 Live CD
Work
Each time I ran RipperX I got the warning that there was less than 500 MB of free space on the WAV partition.

First I tried increasing my pup001 file to 800Mb. Didn't work but as I was going to install Open Office not a waste of time.':D'

Next I installed a 512 Mb swap file using the following information (would just leave a link but I don't remember where I found it.':oops:' Maybe someone can edit this for me )

How to create a Swap File

This is a procedure for building a swap file, that is, simply a file rather than a partition. Puts the swap file on the same partition that holds pup001. This has been tested on Win98SE and a different procedure is needed for WinXP.

Note: For WinXP which uses NTFS, replace the dd step with:
if /mnt/home is an NTFS drive, do not use dd (writing to your NTFS drive can corrupt the file system)
... boot to Windows and create the file by typing something like:
fsutil file createnew C:\pup.swp 512000000
then boot Puppy again

Short on memory? Under 128MB is. Then build a swap file.
Go to Start > Run > Rxvt
Type, then press Enter:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/home/puppy.swp bs=1024 count=800k
Be patient. This will take several minutes.
That 800k translates to 800MB (819,200KB).
So decrease according to available disk space.

Type, then press Enter:
mkswap /mnt/home/puppy.swp
Type, then press Enter:
swapon /mnt/home/puppy.swp
Go to Start > File Managers > uXplor
Drill down to /root/.etc/rc.d/rc.local and right-click and select edit.
Add this line to the bottom:
swapon /mnt/home/puppy.swp
Save the file. This will turn on the swap file upon next boot.

alternative description

find somewhere to put the swap file ... type:
df -h
to see how much free space you have on each partition

create an empty swap file:
for example, to make a 512 meg swap file on /mnt/home called pup.swp, type:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/home/pup.swp bs=1M count=512

if /mnt/home is an NTFS drive, do not use dd (writing to your NTFS drive can corrupt the file system) ... boot to Windows and create the file by typing something like:
fsutil file createnew C:\pup.swp 512000000
then boot Puppy again

make the empty file a swap file:
mkswap /mnt/home/pup.swp

mount the swap file:
swapon /mnt/home/pup.swp

you can see if it's working by typing:
free

to automatically mount the swap file when Puppy boots, put a line like this in an init file, like /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
swapon /mnt/home/pup.swp

This still did not work ':evil:' But when I deleted this file and installed an 800Mb swap file, although I still get the warning everthing seems to work. ':D' ':?' am still testing

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I get the same warning. I believe it's because RipperX assumes you're going to rip a whole 700 MB CD. I'm not, so I ignore the warning. It's always done all of the file I was ripping. Incidentally, I've posted several descriptions of my experience ripping and converting to mp3. I think one of them is in the Howto forum.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#3 Post by Billwho? »

Could be, although now that it seems to work properly after installing the swap file I'm starting to think that the "wav partition" is simply the partion that Ripper is installed on. In my case that is the Ramdisk (currently only have 349Mb free on a 512 Mb machine and I am only using Sylpheed, Mozilla and GKdial.)

I am now able to convert an entire CD in one go where before I could not even convert some longer songs on there own.

As for your other posts Flash, I knew that someone would have left some but I was never able to find them. Not even when I used the search wizard,wrong keywords maybe.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#5 Post by Billwho? »

Thanks for the links Flash.I used ripperx and "wav partition" as keywords and although I got lots of hits there didn't seem to be a solution to my problem in them ( might have just missed it but ).
It seems that you had my problem early on though as shown in the section of one of your posts I have copied below. As you fixed the problem by unticking "High quality mode" and I have had no more trouble since creating the larger Swap file it does seem to be a memory problem.

9. Put a CD in the drive. After the light on the drive goes out, click the "Scan" button in ripperX. Click "Select All Tracks" (or whatever tracks you wish to rip,) tick "rip Wav." (Very important. On my first try at ripping/converting to mp3 I ticked "Encode mp3." RipperX ripped the first track, then started to encode it but apparently got distracted by ripping the second track and never completed encoding the first. Edit: I'm not sure what I changed, but now ripperX rips and converts in one step when I leave "Encode mp3" ticked. The only thing I think I changed was to untick "High quality mode" in the "mp3" tab of the Config window. If this holds, steps 11 and 12 won't be necessary.) Fill out the Artist (Author) and Album (Name of book; I used spaces here.)