Installing OpenOffice pupget in multisession 106

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Flash
Official Dog Handler

Installing OpenOffice pupget in multisession 106

#1 Post by Flash »

I downloaded the OpenOffice Pupget in 1.0.6 multisession to compare it to Abiword, and decided Abiword is better for my purpose, which is a diary or journal, done as a table of two columns of cells. The cell in the left column is where I put the date of the entry and the (wider) cell in the column on the right is where I put the main text of the journal entry. This works out just the way I wanted it to, except I haven't figured out how to stop Abiword from splitting the columns at the page breaks. :?

Anyway, when I installed the OpenOffice pupget I got this error message:

Seems like something funny happened when I shut down the window manager and then restarted it in order to put OpenOffice in the Start menu, but I can't think what it would be.

But when I tried to shut down the multisession DVD, it hung at the dialog window where you choose whether to save the session to the DVD. It seemed to have gone to a command prompt behind the shutdown dialog window so I typed xwin and X restarted. Then I fumbled around until I noticed the "save" thing at the top right of the screen. That seemed to work, and afterwards the multisession DVD shut down normally. I was pleasantly surprised that OpenOffice was available in the Start menu when I restarted the Puppy DVD even though it hadn't been saved in the usual way, but OpenOffice did open and as far as I could tell worked as it was supposed to...

For my next trick I'll try to uninstall OpenOffice, since I like Abiword better and OpenOffice seems to add a lot to the bootup time.
Attachments
Pupget_OO_missing_dependency.jpg
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 1325 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Perhaps I judged OpenOffice too soon. :oops: After playing around with it a bit more I found that I like it much better than Abiword. It responds to scroll inputs and keystrokes much cleaner than does Abiword, for one thing. It is much more difficult to figure out how to make it do what I want though.

It took me a little while to figure out how to save an OpenOffice document, then to drag it to the desktop, then make it start OpenOffice when I click on it. I'll admit to being a little impatient, so it could be my fault that I found the save dialog a bit confusing, but I would have thought the other two things would be no-brainers for an OpenOffice installation.

softgun

Anyone installed OOo2.0 to the live multisession CD?

#3 Post by softgun »

If anyone added OOo 2.0 and did this successfully, please tell us how!!