Best puppy or puplet for thinkpad 600?

Using applications, configuring, problems
pooklaroux

Best puppy or puplet for thinkpad 600?

#1 Post by pooklaroux »

Been running 4.1.1 retro recently, I use a usb sound card and a pcmcia wireless to get on the net. I am wondering what versions/puplets other thinkpad 600 users have found usable? I've had trouble getting some versions of puppy to boot. Before this, I was using a version of 3.

Actually, I just rebooted and tried 4.2.1 using the acpi=force option, and I'm up and running. I'd had trouble booting this one before. Anyways, still curious.

CiaW

#2 Post by CiaW »

I have a thinkpad 600x, (P III at 498mhz and 256mb of ram, 20gig HD) and there's a discussion on another board, link below.

I've tried the Puppy 4.2.1 and have to use acpi=force to get it to boot, but then it disables IRQ 10 and 11, and my cardbus / pcmcia slot uses IRQ11 so my wireless adapter is 'seen' but it doesn't detect any wireless networks, even with the b43 driver loaded. (I've got it working just fine under Fedora 7 after trying a few different things -- that's how I'm on here typing this!)

Someone else suggested that perhaps slaxer or delta pup would be better puplets for our hardware, I've been searching for them and I'm about ready to give up.

I also tried the retro version of Puppy 4.2.1 (older kernel) and it wouldn't boot at all, even with the acpi=force option; just got a kernel panic.

So sorry, I don't have a good answer for you. But you might want to join in the other thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43188

pooklaroux

#3 Post by pooklaroux »

CiaW! I think I saw that discussion, I'll jump in there. But that being said -- Slaxer? Is that the same as SLAX? I have a live disk of that somewhere, it was one of the ones I initially tried on the TP 600, I don't remember if it booted or not, but even if it did, I think Puppy 3.0.1 gave me more functionality. But I'll dig around and see if I can come up with that live disk. I haven't tried delta pup.

CiaW wrote:I have a thinkpad 600x, (P III at 498mhz and 256mb of ram, 20gig HD) and there's a discussion on another board, link below.

I've tried the Puppy 4.2.1 and have to use acpi=force to get it to boot, but then it disables IRQ 10 and 11, ...

Someone else suggested that perhaps slaxer or delta pup...

I also tried the retro version of Puppy 4.2.1 (older kernel) and it wouldn't boot at all, even with the acpi=force option; just got a kernel panic.

But you might want to join in the other thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=43188

mikeslr

Best Puppy for Thinkpad 600x

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Dear pooklaroux:

I have a Thinkpad 600e, 160 Ram, PCMIA wireless card, sound thru built in chip after much searching on forum. So I don't know if your usb sound card plays an important factor. Although mine can run the 3 series, I found that significantly slower than either the 2 or 4. Excluding 4.2, I've never had a real problem. Didn't try the Official 4.2, only Turbopup. See my comments on its thread. The number of people still having problems with 4.2 disincline me to try 4.2.
My Thinkpad can run either standard or retro 4.12s.
I first started with Puppy when it was at 2.17. Tried them all from CD, then frugally installed Ttuuxx's Firehydrant , Although I also liked John Biles Teenpup, its desktop was too busy and I was too much a noob to try customization. Both ran well and are still available. As Ttuuxxx is working on an updated 2.17 and John came out with Teenpup 2009, You might want to try them.
The entire Macpup series runs well, as does Boxpup.
Ultimately, what is "best" comes down to a question of aesthetics, windows and file managers, and software preferences. Consequently, I would recommend that you start with the standard 4.12 (retro only if your computer has a problem with standard) and remaster after adding and subtracting your preferences. While remastering requires a CD Burner, it doesn't have to be on your Thinkpad. The remaster program will generate an ISO you can transport elsewhere.
What strikes your fancy? Click on the links from http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/puplets and see what each has to offer, keeping the following in mind:
Aesthetics: Changing you're wallpaper gives your Puppy an entirely different feel. Desktop icons which you never (or no longer) use can be removed. How frequently do you need to install? run setup?
Windows managers:
If your a "Linux purist" consider Fluxbox or Openbox. But remember you can achieve nearly the same effect by just removing desktop icons while running jwm or icewm. And icewm enables you to modify its toolbar to have a Taskbar Popup Menu of just your most frequently used programs. Both Xfce and LDXE are actually a little more resource intensive than the former. And Xfce uses Thunar which is not as functional as Rox. However, you can add Mu's Muppy-Filer, which is a really great dual-pane file manager for any system.

Mike

pooklaroux

Re: Best Puppy for Thinkpad 600x

#5 Post by pooklaroux »

mikeslr wrote:Dear pooklaroux:

I have a Thinkpad 600e, 160 Ram, PCMIA wireless card,... The remaster program will generate an ISO you can transport elsewhere.
What strikes your fancy?
Aesthetics: Changing you're wallpaper gives your Puppy an entirely different feel. Desktop icons which you never (or no longer) use can be removed. How frequently do you need to install? run setup?
Windows managers:
Mike
Really good suggestions, you know I have not played with many windows managers much at all. I should try that, I know that it really does change the feel of a system. I'm just now playing with the idea of creating my own specialized puplet. I may drop back to 4.1.2, but if I can run 4.2, I will.

I am not really as fluent in linux as I want to be. I've used some unix for work, but most of the time, I have used some flavor of Win, and at home Mac (from OS8 thru 10..5.7 current) But I really like puppy, and what I like best is that I can use it to give new life to old hardware that would otherwise be tossed out. It's close enough to the way windows works that I can tempt people into using it who would otherwise be scared away from linux, thinking it too technical. My oldest pc system is the Thinkpad, and it's just a project of mine to keep its functionality as current as I can. I like hurting people's brains by using really old hardware to do regular every day computing!

mikeslr

Best Puppy

#6 Post by mikeslr »

pooklaroux:

Yah, and there's a really good feeling about being able to brag that for the cost of 1 CD your 10 year old computer can do everything a computer someone has just plunked down $350, plus the cost of software, can do. Besides which, 'though your Thinkpad may be an inanimate object, it somehow also a trusted old friend.

Don't worry about not knowing much of Linux programing. Frankly, for day to day usage you don't need to. In the beginning, its just a matter of burning an ISO to a CD, booting up the CD and seeing what works, what doesn't, and what you like, or downloading and installing a .pet which seems interesting. At the cost of another CD, try another Puplet. Only when you've decided that you like the overall feel of a Puplet, but it has one or two glitches you want to overcome need you get into the technical side. For me, and my Thinkpad 600e, it was the problem of getting sound to work. Fortunately, Puppy has a great forum, and great searching links from the Beginner's Section (about the 4th thread from the top). The second time I went about it, after frugally installing a new Puplet, and having discovered the forum's search links, searching "Thinkpad 600e Sound" generated several similar suggested solutions. Combining them solved the problem, but also provided my first exposure to Linux Scripts and Linux architecture.
The hardest part of transitioning from Windows was picturing Linux's physical structure. Reading a Quick Guide to Linux (while watching TV) helped. And things really began to fall into place when I realized that Rox opened to a directory somewhat similar to XP's "Documents and Settings:" that is, just a starting point, but not where the programs themselves necessarily were. Then I realized that in some ways Linux was like Windows 98: a program and its required libraries weren't placed in one location with a centralized registry, but were more self-contained in their own folders.
In short, learning wasn't tedious work, but rather something driven by curiosity and the fun of solving a puzzle.

Have fun.

Mike

pooklaroux

#7 Post by pooklaroux »

Just a quick note while I am procrastinating on other things...

I dl'd slaxerpup last night, and deleted all the old save files on the hard drive (they were so old I didn't remember what was actually unique about them, I've been booting with pfix-ram so long now, it didn't matter)

and slaxerpup is sweet. I even got sound working! Networking was a breeze. Booted fast, I didn't select any boot options. Wild! Okay, enough fooling around for now-- but I'll be back online later.

mikeslr

Too Many Choices

#8 Post by mikeslr »

There are so many creative people on this forum, building in so many different directions that its hard to keep track of what's available. Your procrastination and review of Slaxerpup has stimulated me to try it. Thanks.

Mikeslr

vitasam

#9 Post by vitasam »

Hi,
has somebody got Puppy 4.2.1 working on Thinkpad 600e ? I don't have sound (known issue) and I don't have PCMCIA working. Puppy just does not detect anything in pcmcia slots.
Sluxpup 4.1.2 was more sucessful - found WLAN card in the pcmcia. But that pretty much all - I can't connect to the network.

How can I get Puppy work with pcmcia?

pooklaroux

#10 Post by pooklaroux »

vitasam wrote:Hi,
has somebody got Puppy 4.2.1 working on Thinkpad 600e ?
Have you tried booting with the parameters: pfix=ram acpi=force? That seemed to work for me. Now I only have a 600, YMMV.

vitasam

#11 Post by vitasam »

pooklaroux wrote:
vitasam wrote:Hi,
has somebody got Puppy 4.2.1 working on Thinkpad 600e ?
Have you tried booting with the parameters: pfix=ram acpi=force? That seemed to work for me. Now I only have a 600, YMMV.
Yes, I've tested pfix=ram acpi=force, but it did not help. My thinkpad is 600e 2645 and model type is 4A0.

Just a curiosity - how pfix=ram could help? If I understood, this option loads puppy totally in ram, ignoring filesystem.

William (Dthdealer)

#12 Post by William (Dthdealer) »

Most livecds hang when booting into a thinkpad 600 without and updated bios unless it is a warm boot (restating). This is from my own experience.

Hold F1 when booting to enter the bios and select the restart button, and then ok.

Also make sure fastboot is disable in the bios.

vitasam

#13 Post by vitasam »

Yep - my 600e has the latest available BIOS. And I've restarted it, also FastBoot option is OFF.
It just does not work.

Aitch

#14 Post by Aitch »

Hi guys no longer using my IBM lappy[s 560/570/600]

However, sound was fixed ages ago by tempestuous

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13699

There's a later fix for 4.1.2R by vtpup

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 862e998e6f

Mine worked best on 2.14R, but it may be worth trying ttuuxxx's new 2.14x5, as loads of new drivers added I believe

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... b312933fda

Be worth reporting back to ttuuxxx as he's still actively improving it
- requests? LOL

pooklaroux, in case you haven't found it yet, slaxer_pup by BB

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=41298

Good luck, guys'n'gals

Aitch :)

mikeslr

Best Puppy on Thinkpad 600

#15 Post by mikeslr »

Just for the sake of completeness:

I've been working my way thru Barry Kauler's Blog "woof" section. On June 10, 2009, having been inspired by Ttuuxxx's interest, and after a great deal of work, he uploaded new versions of the 2 series. Although he designated them as Alfa, they are, after all, Barry K's creations, if only tested by him, so I wouldn't expect too many bugs. Haven't tried it yet, but will.

The download link is:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... puppy-218/

Discussion of its building and components can be found over the course of webpage link slightly older than:
http://www.puppylinux.com/blog/?viewCat=Woof&p=9

Mikeslr

irha

#16 Post by irha »

I got my thinkpad 600x setup with a retro 4.2.1 recently. I couldn't even boot the non-retro version (it would fail to find the puppy_421.sfs file), but the retro version booted just fine with no boot options. I installed puppy on a CF card sitting in the IDE slot (though I had to choose non-CF option). The following worked right out of the install:
- sound
- video
- wifi
- built-in cd drive
- external floppy
- standby (doesn't work if wifi card is in the pcmcia slot)

I still need to work on tuning a few things such as a custom kernel for better power management (couldn't find a config file to do this) and improving the read speed of the CF card. I ordered a new battery off ebay and hope to use it as a real laptop soon. If I can get a usb-2 pcmcia card to work well, then I can use it also for some creative purposes, but it seems like the laptop doesn't dispatch enough power to sustain bus-powered devices, though I haven't tested if any self-powered devices do better.