new live 1.0.7 asking for login and password....

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
teecee

new live 1.0.7 asking for login and password....

#1 Post by teecee »

i downloaded the latest puppy live multi session, it is asking for a login and password during the boot process, i had the previous version that didnt ask for that....am i missing something (besides the login info that i dont know???)

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Certainly a corrupted CD-iso.

Check the checksum:
md5sum puppy-multisession-1.0.7-mozilla.iso

Should be the same as in http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/1.0.7/ ... la.iso.txt

If it is correct, burn the CD with 1x speed.
Mark

teecee

#3 Post by teecee »

MU wrote:Certainly a corrupted CD-iso.

Check the checksum:
md5sum puppy-multisession-1.0.7-mozilla.iso

Should be the same as in http://dotpups.de/puppy-releases/1.0.7/ ... la.iso.txt

If it is correct, burn the CD with 1x speed.
Mark
the checksums matched....i am erasing the disc and trying again...

teecee

#4 Post by teecee »

same problem, i even downloaded again from the puppy linux page instead, and it still goes through the boot process, gets to the point where it asks if i have a hda1 partition setup, and if i dont, just press enter, i press enter, and it prompts for a password.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

Sounds like you either have the wrong iso for a multisession or you are trying to install the multisession iso on a hard drive. Am I wrong?

teecee

#6 Post by teecee »

Flash wrote:Sounds like you either have the wrong iso for a multisession or you are trying to install the multisession iso on a hard drive. Am I wrong?
i downloaded the live multi session from the puppy page, the checksums match, it is the same as the one i downloaded from distrowatch.com (great site by the way)

no, im not trying to install....in fact, if i put in my old puppy linux multisesson, it is fine, this new one just prompts for the password when i all do is hit enter to boot directly from the disk.

Ted Dog

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

teecee wrote:if i put in my old puppy linux multisesson, it is fine, this new one just prompts for the password when i all do is hit enter to boot directly from the disk.
You might have a cross over problem with an earlier version or a bad burn

teecee

#8 Post by teecee »

Ted Dog wrote:
teecee wrote:if i put in my old puppy linux multisesson, it is fine, this new one just prompts for the password when i all do is hit enter to boot directly from the disk.
You might have a cross over problem with an earlier version or a bad burn
im gonna rule out any cross over issue as this is a new pc that i have never used puppy on.

as far as a bad burn, how is that possible? two separate downloads, matching check sums, new cd rw disks.

i have burned other distros recently and have had no issues. where would the user login and password come from anyway?

mayakovski

#9 Post by mayakovski »

teecee wrote:i have burned other distros recently and have had no issues. where would the user login and password come from anyway?
The only other time I have seen this is if you boot with not enough memory (less than 96 MB) and have no available partition for the pup file, you will get this as an error message.
Mayakovski
Puppy Linux | Barking Up The Right Tree

Compaq Armada 1580DMT | P150, 49MB RAM - 3.2 GB HD, Puppy 1.0.6
Compaq Deskpro EN | P3-733, 384 MB RAM - 80GB HD, Puppy 1.0.7

teecee

#10 Post by teecee »

mayakovski wrote:
teecee wrote:i have burned other distros recently and have had no issues. where would the user login and password come from anyway?
The only other time I have seen this is if you boot with not enough memory (less than 96 MB) and have no available partition for the pup file, you will get this as an error message.
naah, i have 128 megs of ram in this pc.....

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#11 Post by GuestToo »

where would the user login and password come from anyway?
you would get this if you have missing or corrupted files ... some things that can cause this:

1) the files may be missing or corrupted on the cd (bad iso or bad burn)

2) the files maybe are not being read from the cd drive properly: the disc may not be working well with the drive ... the drive may not be working well with your hardware ... the drivers may not work well with your hardware

3) bad ram ... not enough ram

4) an older cpu that can't handle the instruction set that the software was compiled with

i seem to remember that multi-session Puppy requires much more ram than the standard Puppy, because it keeps everything in ram, including /root ... before multi-session Puppy existed and before usr_cram.fs was taken out of image.gz, i seem to remember that 128 megs of ram was the absolute minimum that Puppy could run on, and it often couldn't run on that if the shared video chip took more than 8 megs of ram

M.Gregg

password for puppy

#12 Post by M.Gregg »

I have had this password problem with 1.0.7

if i enter puppy it is accepted as a login but the password is a mystery..I think the designer must know it!

regards
Michael

J_Rey

#13 Post by J_Rey »

Yeah I had a similar report to this in our IRC channel with 1.0.7 multi-session CD image (formatted normally - one session/finalized) with 128MB RAM this is probably either a low RAM problem or a problem when the CD/DVD isn't multi-session formatted via growisofs. I extracted this from the multi-session Puppy page:
If everything runs in ramdisk, that's not much space!

That's right. I recommend a PC with at least 256M RAM. However, Puppy will use a Linux swap partition if it exists on the hard drive, which will make the effective size of the ramdisk approximately half-size-of-RAM + size-of-swap-partition. For example, a PC with 128M of RAM and a 400M swap partition would have an effective ramdisk size of about 60+400 = 460M.
If no swap partition, then a 128M PC is not adequate! For a PC with 256M RAM, no swap partition, the ramdisk is about 120M. About 60M of that is taken up by the Puppy files, mostly usr_cram.fs, leaving only 60M free ...not much!!!
Hopefully, Barry will fix this quirk in later versions....

teecee

#14 Post by teecee »

i have burned as of now, probably five different of the 1.07 verison of the multi session, it was doing the same thing, asking for a login and password...but then out of the blue it started working.....i used it all last evening and downloaded some new packages and it was really looking good...

now today, back to the same thing, prompting for a login and a password...

i see someone else posted they had the same issue and tried puppy as the login but had no password.....

now, what do i do? how can it work and not work, etc?

im using it on my fairly new laptop, i crashed the regular hd and have been using the pup since then, the 1.05 and sometimes this new version of the multi session...

come on, one of you guru should be able to shed some real light on this issue.....

#15 Post by Guest »

how can it work and not work
it might be a hardware problem

does it make any difference if you shut your machine off completely, as opposed to just rebooting?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

Are you able to boot a non-multisession 107 Puppy CD with option 4 (no hard drive)? If so, can you then swap that CD with the one that doesn't boot and mount it so you can explore the contents?

teecee

#17 Post by teecee »

ok, hereś the latest.

i once again burned the multisession live 1.07.

put it into my laptop drive, the laptop im using that has no hard drive.

as i booted up, the new multisesson asked me if i was upgradeing from a previous and to put that cd in...so, i took the new MS out, put the old puppy MS in....it read it, took setting from it and started the new desktop of the newer version.....i purposely downloaded something from the dot.pup and placed a shortcut on the desktop.

i then took the old pup MS out of the drive, put the new one in, and then did a reboot, it asked if i wanted to save the session, i said yes....it went thru the usual routine and saved the session and rebooted with the new MS in the drive and everything came back up, no prompting for a login or password...

so, im going to keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

Ted Dog

If you could give more info.

#18 Post by Ted Dog »

I am thinking you are using a CD-RW or CD+RW. How are you burning it?

Here is my way from a booted multisession (or files copied to /livecd) It will wipe the CD+RW and remove padding that may/may not help.

Code: Select all

CDR="/dev/hdc" #replace with your burner
CDH="/livecd"
mkisofs -D -J -R  -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ${CDH} | cdrecord -blank=fast -multi -data -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
here is a lite version of save to multisession CD. It will save everything without change so close mozilla and most programs before running. Delete what you do not wish to keep

mkisofs -D -J -R -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=ATAPI:${CDR}` -M  ${CDR}  -quiet -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points `date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`=/root | cdrecord -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
That way you can check if all went well. On some CD-RAM drives the ~12M of padding causes the drive to think its reached the end, and also could cause old data from a prior burn to bleed through.
This will work for regular CD-Rs as well just remove the -blank=fast from the first example. DVD hints are found here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=29898#29898

teecee

Re: If you could give more info.

#19 Post by teecee »

Ted Dog wrote:I am thinking you are using a CD-RW or CD+RW. How are you burning it?

Here is my way from a booted multisession (or files copied to /livecd) It will wipe the CD+RW and remove padding that may/may not help.

CDH="/livecd"
mkisofs -D -J -R  -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table ${CDH} | cdrecord -blank=fast -multi -data -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
here is a lite version of save to multisession CD. It will save everything without change so close mozilla and most programs before running. Delete what you do not wish to keep

mkisofs -D -J -R -C `cdrecord -msinfo dev=ATAPI:${CDR}` -M  ${CDR}  -quiet -new-dir-mode 0755 -graft-points `date "+%Y-%m-%d-%H-%M"`=/root | cdrecord -v gracetime=1 dev=ATAPI:${CDR}  -
That way you can check if all went well. On some CD-RAM drives the ~12M of padding causes the drive to think its reached the end, and also could cause old data from a prior burn to bleed through.
This will work for regular CD-Rs as well just remove the -blank=fast from the first example. DVD hints are found here http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=29898#29898
ted, thanx for the info.

as far as what i am using, i had the original pup MS 1.05, and that was on a standard cd-r, and even that wasnt saving stuff on sessions correctly, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt.

as for the new ones, yes, i am using the cd-rw, and im burning the ISO image with nero.

as i said, the new 1.07, seems to be working fine now, i downloaded two programs and have rebooted, it loads them and has them saved when i reboot as well as all the normal settings and passwords that it asks me to save in password manager.

im just not sure why the prompting for a u/p was coming up...so, so far so good on this latest burn.

teecee

#20 Post by teecee »

dammit, im back to square one...
i had two plus sucessful days of the MS, and after downloading some new items to disk, i rebooted, had it saved and upon reboot, up comes the user name and password prompts after it tries to load the saved sessions...

this is getting really stupid now.....and im forced to keep using the 1.05 version as it never screws up....granted, it doesnt seem to save anything either....but it doesnt prompt during the reloading of saved sessions....

still looking for ideas.....

im going to try another burn with a cd-r, as i have been using the cd-rw for quite some time....