How do you disable the Autosave? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
johnheav2

How do you disable the Autosave? (Solved)

#1 Post by johnheav2 »

I love Puppy, but my 4.1.2 (which is on a USB) bogs down increasingly throughout any Puppy session. Programs launches slow down, video becomes very jerky...and I think it's related to the automatic "saving-to-ram" feature. Can you disable it? Or does anyone know why this might happen?

Thanks in advance.....

jafadmin

#2 Post by jafadmin »

menu->system->puppy event manager->save session-> set the interval to zero

The session will then only save when you shut down.

johnheav2

Thanks! (EOM)

#3 Post by johnheav2 »

Thanks.

sky king

slightly related question

#4 Post by sky king »

When I'm browsing or playing a game, anything that's changing what's in RAM at the moment, should I stop?

It seems the save takes longer if something's happening. Maybe just my imagination, I haven't timed it or anything.

Is it possible that if the info in RAM is changing a lot, the save would go on for an extra long time, or just loop for what seems like forever waiting for a break in the action?

Maybe just letting it save on shutdown unless I'm working on something critical, and then saving occasionally with the save button is the best solution.

On my slow low RAM computer, I have experienced what seems like never ending looping to the save file or swapping. Maybe both. Whatever it is, the computer is pretty much useless while it happens.

Thanks for your opinions on this.

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

My opinion is disable it...I used to crash when using the gimp (uses temporary paging files) and a save occurs.
You have the manual option and if anything should happen..eg power cut the pup_save is less likely to be corrupted. Another point is that a pile of usually temporary data is not needlessly saved. Been running for a year off a flash stick only this way and it's happy.
Tip...save documents to the stick outside of the pup_save...make a symlink in /root for example to a Documents folder on /initrd/mnt/dev_save...that way if there is a power loss nothing is lost.

mike

sky king

disable or not?

#6 Post by sky king »

I'm going to try not saving until shutdown as MikeB does. I guess all I could lose is one session anyway. Any contrary thoughts on this?

Thanks!

fala70

#7 Post by fala70 »

I tried to save a file into /initrd/mnt/dev_save/mydoc and then power off. At restart on the file created there is an icon with exclamation mark, if I try to open say :"File doesn't exist or can't access it".

Is there a mode to save files without shuting down ? manual save ?

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

I tried to save a file into /initrd/mnt/dev_save/mydoc and then power off. At restart on the file created there is an icon with exclamation mark, if I try to open say :"File doesn't exist or can't access it".
well that is odd...certainly should not have a problem.
Can you give more detail....format of flash stick, how you saved etc?

there should be an icon looking like a target for doing manual saves

mike

fala70

#9 Post by fala70 »

Tried again not save nothing.

I've Puppy 4.20, with a compact flash of 4GB. I created 4 partitions sda1->sda4. I did a frugual install on sda1. On sda1 I've follow files and directories:
boot (directory) used grub
lost+found (directory)
puppy420 (directory)
pup_420.sfs (file)
pup_save.2fs (file)

I simply created a text file into sda1 root, and power off. At restart I dind't find the text file created.

Also I haven't any icon with target for manual save, where should I find it ? on desktop ?

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

@fala70

well perhaps your install is behaving like a harddrive one in which case there will be no save session icon and no saves during the session.
One way to check is to look at /initrd/pup_ro1...if it shows to be mounted then you are in flash stick mode.

As for not saving still odd...your puppy files are in the same place and they don't dissappear. Can you save to the other partitions?

mike

fala70

#11 Post by fala70 »

/initrd/pup_ro1 is empty.
When I installed puppy I choose "Internal (IDE or SATA) hard drive".

I tried also copy a file to sda2, but same result, on power off at restart nothing file

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

@fala70

I suggest starting a fresh topic as this problem is not related to the thread and you will get better help that way

mike

jimwg

#13 Post by jimwg »

Greetings!

I'm asking the reverse here!

When I'm using my XFCE desktop there's no "Save" icon like the basic JWM desktop has, so I have to wait for Puppy to autosave my sessions every half hour or so. How can I save Ram on demand in XFCE like in JWM?

Thanks

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Create a .desktop icon to the thing that runs the on demand save...don't know what its called as I removed it years ago..... could check a jwm puppy's icon information to get the file name.

mike

jimwg

#15 Post by jimwg »

mikeb wrote:Create a .desktop icon to the thing that runs the on demand save...don't know what its called as I removed it years ago..... could check a jwm puppy's icon information to get the file name.

mike
Thanks for your swift reply!

Sadly I'm a real newbie at all this so I'm kind of lost of exactly step-by-step how to do things like this. I'm playing it by ear all the way learning your craft here and the education's slow painful plodding! :D

That's why I hope, once I'm up to speed at all this, to one day create a "Fixit Issues For Newbie Dummies" page to guide newbies on fixing most Linux issues step by step without having to learn to be a techie themselves. I really hope to do this.

Jim in NYC

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

ok I was being lazy so I dived into my archive and the file is
/usr/sbin/save2flash

right click on an icon on xfce4 and you should have an option to create a new icon/desktop file .... use the line above in it

mike

jimwg

#17 Post by jimwg »

mikeb wrote:ok I was being lazy so I dived into my archive and the file is
/usr/sbin/save2flash

right click on an icon on xfce4 and you should have an option to create a new icon/desktop file .... use the line above in it

mike
I'll check this out tonight! Thanks!

Jim in NYC