Saving inaccessable data with Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
jstone00

Saving inaccessable data with Puppy

#1 Post by jstone00 »

I'd just like to share an experience with Puppy Linux.

Recently a client with a non-bootable, Windows XP laptop came crying to me asking if I could recover the irreplacable data on the laptop's hard-drive. I slipped my PuppyLive CD into the machine, booted it, configured the Ethernet, and downloaded one of the PupGet CD burning packages. I then mounted the hard-drive and proceeded to burn the important data to CD. Once finished, I took the CD to my working Windows machine where I opened the ISO that had been created on the laptop and burned the individual files to another CD. Was my client overjoyed? You bet!

Go Puppy! :D

OzzyBB

A similar experience

#2 Post by OzzyBB »

Hello all,

I recently had a very similar experience. A colleague and friend of mine had tried to download some pictures from a digital camera into his Windows XP laptop computer. It seems the camera's software produced a horrible conflict with his Windows XP (Home SP2) and next thing you know, it wouldn't boot at all. Not in Safe Mode, not to a previous working state, nothing.

So I came along with my Chubby Puppy 1.0.5 and booted it right away (after finding out I had to press F10 to configure its BIOS to boot from CD). I mounted his Windows partition, I ran the Network Wizard, I got online, but I stumbled on the Network integration with his other computers. It turned out I couldn't get the necessary permissions with the FTP server included with Puppy, to be able to transfer the files into another computer via my friend's local network.

Also, I ran into a problem with the Graveman CD recording software. It turned out I could burn ISO images, but I couldn't burn files into a CD, like I do with Nero under Windows XP.

Luckily, he had a 1 GB USB memory, which I used to transfer his files into another computer. It finally turned out he had more than 3 GB of data!

After placing all of his files into the other computer, i used his factory CDs to restore the machine to its factory condition. Then, I re-entered his network parameters to get him online again, then I updated his Windows XP (2002 version) to SP2. Finally, I re-installed his applications and got back all his data thru his local network.

So, Puppy is a great recovery system, but it can be improved. If it can integrate Samba, then it'll be so much better!

Warmest greetings from Peru,

OzzyBB