Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 20:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 9
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul 2009, 20:41    Post subject:  vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 9
Subject description: All Features Working - Runs in the free VMWare Player

Now available with VMWare Tools Installed
All features Work - Copy & Paste - Shared Folders
This is now updated to Version 9 of 2.14X

vmPuppy 2.14RX9 is an installation of Puppy 2.14X9 (prepared by ttuuxxx http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553) in a virtual machine that can be “played” by the free VmWare Player. It is for people who have to work in Windows, in order that they can have a little bit of Puppy Heaven right there on their Windows desktop.

Pick the one you want. The small one has mouse integration only. The large one has all of the VMWare features.

1. To use it one simply downloads the Large 180MB or the Small 115MB archive and the VMWare Player.
2. Install the VMWare Player and Right-Click to unpack the Zip Archive.
3. Then open the Puppy214X9 folder and click the Puppy214X9.vmx file.
4. Viola. There’s your Puppy! Click Firefox 3.5.2 and go surfing!

The large one has an instruction file in /root (instructions reproduced below). This should now work on XP32: The disk is split into 2 2GB sections.

Large (180MB) vmPuppy zip archive -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/Puppy_2.14X_V9.zip
md5sum - 5f48e38ac67feda883f5544149af617b
Small (115MB) vmPuppy zip archive -> http://www.diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy400/Puppy_2.14X9_notools.zip
md5sum - 4c39e6bf41d869c58f9c6134345511f2
VMWare Player -> http://www.vmware.com/download/player/thankyou.html

Issues with the Large (VMWare tools) Puppy:
1. If you quit by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the vmware player window, it reports that the suspend script did not work correctly, but it does, so just do the same thing again. Alternatively, you can shut down the Puppy OS as normal.

Instructions for vmPuppy with VMWare Tools.
To start VMWare Tools, just click the vm-tools icon on the desktop. If you want it to start automatically you can drag it into /root/Startup. The first time VMWare Tools starts with the Puppy vm it will ask if you Moved or Copied the virtual machine. Copy is the default and that is the proper choice.

These are the commands in the vm-tools script. You can enter them in a terminal to watch the results.

# /etc/rd.d/vmware-tools start
# vmware-user

After you click vm-tools you can check on it by entering "lsmod" in a terminal and looking for the 6 modules that begin with "vm..." which should be a t the top of the list.

You can also check by starting System -> Htop and checking that vmware-guestd and vmware-user are running.

1. Copy & Paste between Host and Guest
Just copy & paste; the only problem seems to be that sometimes it doesn't know what to paste --that can be fixed by choosing the test you want in Parcellite (the clipboard manager in the system tray).

2. Shared Files between Host and Guest

a. vmPuppy 2.14X9 is setup to share a Folder named C:\Puppy. It appears that if you are using the free VMWare Player you cannot change that.

b. Create the folder C:\Puppy in Windows and that will be the channel to share folders between the host and guest.

c. To mount the shared folder C;\Puppy, first start vm-tools, and then click "vm-mnt."
The command that vm-mnt executes is
# vmware-hgfsmounter .host:/Puppy /mnt/Puppy

You can enter that command in a terminal to observe the results.

The Shared Folders can be enabled and disabled by the command menu VMWare Player -> Shared Folders.

vmPuppy can also serve as a “browser appliance” when you have to work in Windows. Just open Puppy and surf in Firefox 3.5 in Linux. You can forget all about those nasty Windows viruses. There is also a version of VMWare Player for Linux, so you can run Puppy inside of Puppy, but I have not tested and do not know if the player runs in Puppy.

Why not the qemu puppies? They never have worked for me. Qemu always crashes. VMWare is proprietary software, but the Player is free of charge, and in my experience it is the most capable Virtual Machine program. I intend to also try to prepare a virtual machine for Virtual Box, which has an open source version and a proprietary version, and is free of charge in both versions.

Last edited by playdayz on Sun 13 Sep 2009, 00:39; edited 22 times in total
fyujj

PostPosted: Sun 19 Jul 2009, 06:28    Post subject:  

Congratulations. Slowly but definitely what is really good may be known by people.
playdayz

PostPosted: Wed 29 Jul 2009, 21:31    Post subject: vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 7
Subject description: Runs in the free VMWare Player

Puppy 2.14X has been updated by ttuuxxx to Version 7, so the first message has been updated.
DanYHKim

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul 2009, 19:32    Post subject: VMware Player, Puppy and VMware Tools
Subject description: Making the mouse 'break out' of the virtual machine

I have not been really happy with VMware tools in Puppy Linux guests, because it doesn't really buy me much. It's nice to have a shared folder and mouse breakout, but it doesn't seem to let me auto-adjust the desktop size the way it does for a Windows guest.

Recently, I loaded browserpuppy ( http://www.browserpuppy.com) into a VMware machine, and found that the mouse cursor breaks out of the VMware window without VMware Tools. (Windows XP host, Browserpuppy guest)

I don't know why this works. I'd love an explanation.

So, now I don't need to install Tools anymore. I can live without the other functions.
playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 30 Jul 2009, 20:13    Post subject:  

@ DanYHKim

Quote:
Recently, I loaded browserpuppy ( http://www.browserpuppy.com) into a VMware machine, and found that the mouse cursor breaks out of the VMware window without VMware Tools. (Windows XP host, Browserpuppy guest)

I don't know why this works. I'd love an explanation.
This 2.14X7 VM does not have vmware tools installed either. It has the mouse breakout because of the X windows driver "vmmouse." You can look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see that on yours too (I bet). 2.14X compiled the tools but I didn't see much use to them either, so this one doesn't have them--keeps it small and fast.

There is a virtual machine of 4.2.1 in VirtualBox that has everything working: autoresize of the desktop, shared folders, copy & paste, all the features. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45028 I go back and forth between the two and like them both.
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Thu 27 Aug 2009, 05:12    Post subject:  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Running your vmPuppy 214X8 on my XP-machine at work. Works wonderfully! Thanks Smile!

Of course, it would have been even handier with vmware-tools. to enable shared folders and copying & pasting Smile. Does the tools have to be built in to the package from the beginning, or can they just be dropped in the vmware-tools folder? If the latter, is there anywhere to download the tools already compiled?

Thanks again, I'm very much enjoying sneaking in to 214X from XP Smile.

cheers/
MHHP

Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
Nämen, vaf.... ln -s /dev/null MHHP
playdayz

PostPosted: Sat 29 Aug 2009, 15:26    Post subject:  

@ MinHundHettePerro

I began with trying to install the vmware tools; ttuuxxxs's 2.14X V5 was the first Puppy variant that I found that was able to compile all the vmware tools so I was happy and optimistic. However, the shared folder tool did not work, even though it had compiled successfully, and I was unable to figure out why. Probably just some little incompatibility but I couldn't find it. Since the vmware mouse and video drivers worked, I just left it there. There is a version of 4.2.1 that runs in VirtualBox and all of the tools work including shared folders and copy and paste between host and guest. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45028 VirtualBox is free so maybe that would work for you.

If you own VMWare Workstation you could try to compile the vmware tools yourself in 2.14X. You would need to install the devx sfs file that ttuuxxx has posted in the first message and also the kernel sources which, as I recall, are in the Puppy 2 folder on ibiblio. If you succeed please let us know. thanks.
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 04:43    Post subject:  

Greetings Smile

The download link for 214X9.zip seems to be broken.

And, yes please, I'd like to give also the VMware tools version a shot Smile.

cheers/
MHHP

playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 15:18    Post subject:  

MinHundHettePerro

Sorry about the link--those darn little periods--it is working now. I will prep the vmware tools version and upload then post a link.
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 15:53    Post subject:  

Great, thanks Very Happy/
MHHP

playdayz

PostPosted: Thu 03 Sep 2009, 21:33    Post subject: vmPuppy with all features working  

MinHundHettePerro

HooRay and Hallelujah! We now have a 2.14X9 vmPuppy with vmware tools installed and all of the features working, including copy & paste between host and guest and shared folders between host and guest. The penalty is only another 70MB. Please check the first message in the thread. Thanks for requesting it--it was a good puzzle Wink
Aitch

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep 2009, 13:43    Post subject:  

Congrats & well done playdayz...

another wish on my list sorted Very Happy

downloading now - I think I should just be able to add the VMimage to the previous version?

Just spotted this when posting my request for TotalPup in suggestions thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=338968#338968

Can I interest you...? Very Happy

edit: no go, boo hoo - the large rar file

see attached [XP VMPlayer]

any ideas?

2nd edit: re-download is the same
vmdk file is 305mb, maybe memory allocated by default is too small?
the small zip is corrupt

Aitch Smile
VMPupfail.png
 Description   
 Filesize   4.87 KB
 Viewed   2332 Time(s)

VMPupfail.png

playdayz

PostPosted: Mon 07 Sep 2009, 22:06    Post subject:  

@ aitch, I think I know. I believe it is that one of the virtual disks is greater than 2GB, when it is expanded, or theoretically expanded to 8GB or whatever. I should have thought of that. I believe I know what to do but it might take a day or two. Please watch this space. pd

and you found the small zip to be corrupt? will get an md5 and check, thanks

all tomrrow
Mstar

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 14:59    Post subject: Shared Directory
Subject description: You Can Change It

Once VMWare Tools is running and you have mounted a shared folder, if you click on VMWare Player at the top of the window, then select "Shared Folders" and highlight whatever is in the window that comes up, "Properties" will activate. Click it and you can specify any directory on the host machine as the shared folder.

It will still be called /mnt/Puppy in ROX, but will be linked to whatever you specified.

Don't know if it's persistent, or if it needs to be done each time you boot. Have not gotten that far.

Works on my machine running XP SP3 as host.
MinHundHettePerro

PostPosted: Tue 08 Sep 2009, 15:56    Post subject:  

Playdayz,
didn't have time to try it at work until today.
Unfortunately, I get the same error message as Aitch posted above, when trying to run vmPuppy 2.14X9 (w/ vmtools).

Then tried the smaller vmPuppy 2.14X9 (w/o the tools), and I get the same error, vmPupppy 214X8 still works, though, so it can't be the player.

Just a wild hunch, I've tried running both from FAT16 and FAT32 partitions (vmPuppy 214X8 works nicely on both), if vmX9 is slightly larger, should I try to get hold of an ntfs partition to try it on?

Running WinXP SP3 on a modern desktop.

cheers/
MHHP

Page 1 of 3 [35 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: