How to update SeaMonkey, etc., in Multisession Puppy?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
JustaJoe

How to update SeaMonkey, etc., in Multisession Puppy?

#1 Post by JustaJoe »

I have been running puppy on multisession-DVD. It works great!

Is it possible to update the applications on a multisession DVD or do you have to remaster the whole DVD with updated apps?

In particular there has been a Seamonkey update to fix security problems. I can download the update and I try to extract it, but it seems nothing happens. Perhaps I am extracting to the wrong directory?

I am new to linux and used to Ubuntu handling updates in a slightly more automatic way.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this has been covered before, I searched the posts and could not find the answer.

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

I am new to linux and used to Ubuntu handling updates in a slightly more automatic way.
You may be best to stick with using .pet packages that are made for Puppy. If what you want isn't in petget, search the forum for it, as that is where most .pets are found.
The automatic updates in Firefox and Thunderbird should also work OK if you have them installed.
In particular there has been a Seamonkey update to fix security problems.
FWIW generally most people don't worry about "security fixes" for browsers in Puppy. But search the forum for a .pet or someone else's experience with updating it.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

If you are thinking about updating Seamonkey to ver 1.1.1.7, you may want to reconsider.
The latest version lost compatability with the AdBlock+ plugin.
The fix for it is to upgrade to the 2.0 beta version of Seamonkey which currently sets at beta 3.
I know after upgrading to Seamonkey 1.1.1.7 and losing the ability to reinstall AdBlock+.

JustaJoe

More multisession DVD questions....

#4 Post by JustaJoe »

Thanks for the replies. I guess my main question is HOW to upgrade apps or even IF this is possible running the multi-session DVD? I have no HD installation.

I get the pop-up telling me there is a new version of Seamonkey. Then I reply "yes" and get the download. Then I extract the file and nothing seems to happen. I was wondering if this was because I am running on the multisession DVD ( and it has nowhere to install to) or if I am doing something wrong? Is any one upgrading apps and runnng a multisession CD with no HD install?

I do appreciate the warnings about the new version of Seamonkey.

Thanks.

disciple

#5 Post by disciple »

I guess my main question is HOW to upgrade apps or even IF this is possible running the multi-session DVD?
Yes, it should be possible.
For Firefox and Thunderbird and anything else that has incremental updates, you should be able to just let them update themselves. It sounds like Seamonkey is like Openoffice, and only checks whether there is a new version, which you have to download and install over the top of the old one. This should work too, but without more information (like what extracted where), I have no idea what went wrong in this case.
Except for programs like Firefox and Thunderbird, with proper incremental updating, finding a .pet of the new version (search the forum) would generally be the easiest way to install. I do know that some official Seamonkey builds don't work on Puppy without adding extra libraries, but I don't think that is your problem, as I would expect the old version to stop working as well.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Hmm, I don't think I've ever updated a program in a multisession Puppy. Barry comes out with a new version of Puppy so often that he keeps the important programs up to date. The newest Puppy usually incorporates the latest versions of SeaMonkey and Abiword, installed and with all the debugging done for you.

It's very easy to update a multisession DVD. DVD+RW is the easiest. You can use Burniso2cd to burn the latest Puppy iso to the DVD+RW you've been using (Burniso2cd will burn to a used DVD+RW without having to blank the disk first) and then shut down, choosing to save to the newly burned DVD+RW. This has the effect of saving all the settings, installed programs, etc., from the old version of Puppy you were using to the DVD you just burned. Then when you boot the newly burned DVD, walla, you've upgraded everything except programs you installed yourself. You're on your own there. :lol:

Having said all that, it's really not necessary to update any program unless it's causing a problem. The main reason to update SeaMonkey is to eliminate vulnerabilities. Unlike a hard disk install, multisession Puppy saves nothing unless you tell it to. You are free to play around on the internet with the knowledge that any sort of malware you pick up will evaporate if you simply turn off the computer without saving the session to the DVD.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

disciple

#7 Post by disciple »

I still haven't seen anyone report picking up malware in Linux, but even if you somehow manage to fry your entire system it wouldn't matter at all in multisession Puppy would it? Because you can just go back to the last session that worked...

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

Yes. One of the boot options is to blacklist the last n sessions. If you do save a session during which you picked up some malware, you can use that boot option to skip loading the poisoned session during boot.

You can then mount the DVD and inspect the blacklisted sessions for malware. Multisession DVD should perhaps be the standard operating mode for most computers because of this inherent forensic capability.

JustaJoe

Thanks

#9 Post by JustaJoe »

OK thanks everyone. I'm getting a better picture of how this all works and where to spend effort and time and when to take the easy route (new version :D ). That's really cool about using a DVD RW and updating to a new puppy but keeping all your files/apps etc.