Want pup001 on USB key but "can't mount home device&quo

Booting, installing, newbie
CypherBit

Want pup001 on USB key but "can't mount home device&quo

#1 Post by CypherBit »

I want to use my LiveCD, but save my settings to my USB key. I read http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/USB and I tried using PSLEEP=25 PHOME=sda1 PFILE=pup001-none-262144 but it just notifies me "cannot mount home device".
After that Puppy boots up normally and when I view my drives using MUT I can see that my USB key is sda1.

Any suggestions, what am I doing wrong?

kethd

#2 Post by kethd »

I don't know the answers to your question, but I wonder about two things:
I thought on USB it was called PUP100?
Should it be /dev/sda1 instead of plain sda1?

#3 Post by Guest »

Thank you for your reply kethd.

I changed it to pup100 and it still fails. From the documentation it appears only sda1, sdb1 without /dev have to be used: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BootParms & http://puppylinux.org/wikka/usb
I had a quite lengthy discussion about my problem in the #puppylinux channel. Quite a few things were suggested and unfortunately none of them worked.

PHOME was removed, the USB key was checked for space and FS (it's FAT32), the USB key was formatted. I might mention that even though it fails to find a home device, it does notice sda1, since I only get a warning about sdb1 when the drive is inserted (receive them for both when it's not).
One of the suggestions from the channel was to start with a brand new LiveCD and use option 3 when booting, which I did. It listed my hda1, but not my sda, sdb (my USB was in at that time). I tried telling it where my USB was located, but it failed to find it each and every time.

What could be causing this?

CypherBit

#4 Post by CypherBit »

Obviously that Guest above was me.

CypherBit

#5 Post by CypherBit »

Any suggestions, I really want this to work. Surely there's someone that uses this setup with v1.0.7. Are you doing anything different?

kethd

#6 Post by kethd »

I need more details about your situation and what you are trying to do... If I take a 1.0.7 LiveCD, and an empty USB key (just for saving PUPXXX), and somehow get things working -- I don't understand how I would be able to enter commandline bootconfig parameters anywhere!

Unless, you are booting from the USB key, not the CD -- but you want to go on using the CD for some reason, not putting everything on the USB key for some reason -- maybe it is not big enough?

I am assuming, no hard drives are involved here at all?

Anyway, I need to know all about your setup and goals, in case I try to duplicate, to find the answers to your questions...

CypherBit

#7 Post by CypherBit »

kethd, at first I was using Puppy Linux as part of my http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ that is why I was using bootconfig parameters. I was trying to use UBCD with Puppy integrated to boot the OS and save my settings on my USB key.

Since that was getting me nowhere I was told by an Op on IRC to try with the normal 1.0.7 LiveCD and and empty USB (used 3 as the boot option; no commandline parameters involved here).
It's unable to use my USB located at sda1 as my home device. I just get a warning that it can't find it. If I boot into Puppy normally I can see the USB drive as sda1 no problem. I don't have any other USB/SCSI drives on that box. I even formated my USB key but that didn't help. Its FS is FAT32 and the drive is 512MB so space isn't the issue.

Please let me know if you need additional details.

#8 Post by Guest »

Have you tried plugging in the key after booting the live CD and mounting it using MUT and trying to save to it as normal file.

CypherBit

#9 Post by CypherBit »

Yes, once I'm in Puppy the key works great. Can do anything I want with it.

CypherBit

#10 Post by CypherBit »

I've tried this with multiple PCs, and two different USB keys. Same thing.

I'd really like to carry around my Puppy LiveCD and have my settings (probably with a smaller pup100) on my USB drive.