Fatdog2 beta1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
kirk

Fatdog2 beta1

#1 Post by kirk »

I've been meaning to upload this for a week, finally got around to it. Might should have called this alpha4, but what the heck.

Fatdog2 beta1 is built using the T2 trunk packages except that Xorg is replaced with packages from revision 30200, which gives us Xorg 7.3 (xorg-server 1.4.2). So it has the latest packages along with the "stable" Xorg.

Highlights:

* Full Xorg 7.3
* Firefox 3.5.1
* Sylpheed
* Gimp
* Kino
* Kompozer
* Xine-ui
* The other usual Puppy packages.

Fixed the full harddrive install and Grub problems. I used Gparted to make a new ext4 partition and then did a full install with grub.

The mkswap and swapoff utilities provided by Busybox are poo. They will be replaced in the next version. I'll post them here later.

You'll find the ISO (124mb) and devx file (which includes the kernel source) here:

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/Fatdog2/

There's also a pet package for the ATI fglrx video driver.

wesgarner

CUPS

#2 Post by wesgarner »

Hey when I used 4.2.1, CUPS would automatically find network printers. Using Fatdog2, it is only showing the PDF writer

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

wesgarner,

Thanks for the feedback. Probably should have called it alpha4. I haven't did a lot of print testing. I'll check that out when I get a chance. If you find a solution, please post. I've been working on a all 64bit version with the same packages , working pretty nice. It's a full hard install right now, next step is to cut it down and make it into sfs files.

Anyway I posted a pet package for Fatdog2 of HandBrakeCLI with a simple gtkdialog gui that I made. Use the link above.

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

Just downloaded and did a frugal install on this system: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One, Printer-Scanner-Copier

An impressive stable derivative with lots of updates that works well on my system. I'm looking forward to trying your 64bit version.

Jim :)

garcot

#5 Post by garcot »

Did a full HD install and very stable and very fast with ext4 partition. But unable to compile and install the Nvidia drivers with the Nvidia installer for my Geforce 6150 nforce 430 nvidia graphic chip using the devx sfs file. It continues to say some library files (ld and libutils) are either missing (though it is very much there in the devx library) or it is not in the same path. mounting of sfs was done ofcourse properly.

Can you please tell me, where I may be going wrong? I have ofcourse mounted in /mnt/home directory. and also tried /root directory. file NVIDIA 185.18.14 version.

Thanks for this great puppy.

Garcot

kirk

#6 Post by kirk »

I have ofcourse mounted in /mnt/home directory. and also tried /root directory.
Full HD installs don't support sfs files. You'll have to mount the the devx sfs file and copy everything in it to /. If you just click on the devx file it will mount up. Then open a terminal in the window that popped up by pressing the ` key. Type pwd in the terminal to make sure your in the root of the devx directory, then type:

# cp -r * /

(space between cp and -r and * and /)

That will copy everything to /. You might want to do this while running from the CD after booting pfix=ram. Just in case I put a duplicate file in the devx-sfs that's currently in use.

Maybe you know all of this and there's some other problem. I did compile the fglrx kernel module in the ATI graphics package without problems. But maybe that was a frugal install.

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

I've attached the mkswap, swapon, and swapoff replacements. You'll want to extract this to /.

Do not try to do a Frugal install to ext4, the initrd.gz does not support it yet. Full HD installs should work fine with ext4.

The 64bit version is progressing. I have made it into a sfs file (~130MB). Most everything seems to get bigger with the 64bit build. Last night I booted up a frugal install of it and installed ATI's fglrx 9.7 driver. The 64bit version also uses Xorg 7.3, so fglrx 9.3 should install to for older (2+ years :cry: ) ATI chip sets.

I'm running out of time though. I ordered a Asus M4A78-EM motherboard and a AMD Athlon II X2 250 for a home entertainment PC. I wanted something fast enough to smoothly render flash video on a 1080p/i TV. This thing really really screams! Very fast. At least compared to my other computers. I tried Ubuntu 64bit and some Ubuntu-lets, Debian and others. They all seemed so slow. And none would correctly display on my TV, at least not without some work. Fatdog booting from CD got it right away. So I thought I'd build a 64bit version of fatdog for it. The 64bit Flash 10 is quite fast. It's been about 3 weeks and my wife is ready to strangle me. But it's just about ready to do what I need it to. Maybe I can remote desktop it with X11vnc when it's not in use with the TV. Anyway, It will be interesting to see how the 64bit and 32bit compare speed wise, since both are compiled using the exact same packages.
[/b]
Attachments
swap-tools.tar.gz
(12.82 KiB) Downloaded 1448 times

Sit Heel Speak

#8 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

***edited*** uh, never mind...I just looked in the devx. Didn't know you had included full kernel source.*** What is the correct kernelheaders .sfs to use with this?--or, must I woof it myself, to get it?
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Sat 01 Aug 2009, 07:02, edited 2 times in total.

garcot

#9 Post by garcot »

Thanks kirk. Extracting the SFS and using the swap-tools did the trick. Infact the pc is a AMD 64bit machine. I will agree with you Kirk. It is very very much faster than Jaunty in every aspect. Accessing of files, multimedia player or any other tools in the various menu is just too fast compared to ext2 installations. Greatest advantage that I experience is the ease with any modification I want to make that may be required on jaunty and arch that sits in my other ext4 partitions. On the network wizard, it is able to recognise many of the usb wireless devices that I throw at. Installed many other packages and all seems to be stable in Full HD install.

Thanks for your time again.

Best regards
Garcot

hartiberlin

#10 Post by hartiberlin »

Hi Kirk,
runs nice on a Asus Nvidia 6150 onboard graphics motherboard.

But what is missing is the German language Keyboard DE layout in Xorg.

Could you please add it ?

Also, is there already an NVidia driver ?

I always get so big fonts on my 1920x1200 monitor.

It seems the real resolution on my 1920x1200 monitor
is only set to 1280x1024 or something like this, cause
all the fonts are also horizontal aspect ratio distored,
so they are squished to the width. so with is larger than heigth
of the fonts...

Well, youtube in HD and fullscreen works great and
fast...
But the boottime is still much slower
than the superfast Xandros Presto.

Could that be made faster ?
Although Presto uses KDE which also needs more boot time,
but Presto is booted up on my PC in about 15 seconds only,
but unfortunately it is payware and I want some open
source alternative !

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.
[url=http://www.overunity.com]overunity.com open source free energy research forum[/url]
[url=http://www.overunity.de]overunity.de Deutsches free energy research forum[/url]

kirk

#11 Post by kirk »

But what is missing is the German language Keyboard DE layout in Xorg.
Is that a qwerty keyboard? I can't seem to find it.
Also, is there already an NVidia driver ?
No, I don't have a nvidia card anymore. With the devx file I think you can just run the Nvidia installer.

But the boottime is still much slower
than the superfast Xandros Presto.

Could that be made faster ?
If you do a full hard drive install it boots in about 15sec.

hartiberlin

#12 Post by hartiberlin »

Well,
no German Keyboards have
the
QWERTZ
layout.
That is missing.

It is the
DE country
setting.

What must I install and how, to get a video accelerated
NVidia driver that works in 1920x1200 with 24 bits or 32 bits / pixel

?

From USB stick it takes around 45 seconds to boot !
Just too long compared to Xandros Presto which will boot in under 15 seconds from
my harddrive...

I really would love to have this fast boot time for any pupplet.

By the way, gladly your Fatdog2 beta runs with my
RealTek RTL8180 WLAN PCMCIA card with WPA2 !

I did not get this to run with most other puplets, so I just
love Fatdog2 for it ! Great man !
Keep on rocking on !

Regards, Stefan.
[url=http://www.overunity.com]overunity.com open source free energy research forum[/url]
[url=http://www.overunity.de]overunity.de Deutsches free energy research forum[/url]

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

Beta2 and Fatdog64 alpha1 will have a little GUI for choosing the default sound card. It's very simple, but finding the information took a while.

Make sure you rename alsamixer to alsamixer.bin before extracting. The package contains a wrapper script for alsamixer so that it shows controls for the correct card.
Attachments
MSCW.tar.gz
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 1441 times

kirk

#14 Post by kirk »

Well,
no German Keyboards have
the
QWERTZ
layout.
That is missing.
Found it. I'll put it in beta2. It's in fatdog64bit alpha1, I'll be posting that soon.
Yes. That's due to the SFS file being copied to RAM and then the re-probing of the hardware. With a Full hard drive install this doesn't happen, but you don't have the advantages of the virtual file system.

hartiberlin

#15 Post by hartiberlin »

kirk wrote:
Well,
no German Keyboards have
the
QWERTZ
layout.
That is missing.
Found it. I'll put it in beta2. It's in fatdog64bit alpha1, I'll be posting that soon.
Okay, great.
Yes. That's due to the SFS file being copied to RAM and then the re-probing of the hardware. With a Full hard drive install this doesn't happen, but you don't have the advantages of the virtual file system.
Could I avoid this copying to RAM with an additional boot parameter
like pfix=noram or something like this ?

Will this then tear down my USB stick much faster,
cause it always reads and writes to it ?