Puppy needs br-abnt2 keymap at first startup.

Please post any bugs you have found
fyujj

Puppy needs br-abnt2 keymap at first startup.

#1 Post by fyujj »

Hi, I never bothered to ask before since I set my keyboard through the mouse/keyboard wizard, advanced xorg configuration and chose the layout (br) and model (abnt2) through there.
abnt2 is the default keymap in Brazil and Puppy offers br-latin1 and I've seen sometimes abnt. These must be very old keymaps (maybe from the time the keyboards came with us keymaps or even from the time of the typewriters... :) ).
Anyway today I saw a pt_BR puplet in the news section in puppylinux.org and maybe that gave me the kick to ask for this basic feature (I don't even know how to configure the keymap for abnt2 when using vesa - non xorg - video mode).
Really, those keymaps must be of some use for some weird old machine that we don't want to see in the garbage dump and would love to see running puppy with a new breath, but abnt2 is the Brazilian keymap for some time now.

Thanks all.

ecube

br-abnt2 keymap

#2 Post by ecube »

Hi fyujj,

You can add the attached file to /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty.

If everything looks alright, you may ask Barry to do the same.

Regards,

Olov :D
Attachments
br-abnt2.map.gz
(1.09 KiB) Downloaded 672 times

fyujj

Unfortunately not working.

#3 Post by fyujj »

I think I was somewhat precipitated since most puplets I tried only came with br-latin1 keymap. Now I booted 4.2.0 "Deeper Thought" (tuxxx no bling version) with pfix=ram and vesa driver to test the map and here's what I see:

- it comes with br-abnt.map and the main keys work properly, just like abnt2. AltGr doesn't work as expected though and the '" key is configured so one can use them as áä and the shift + 6 should be an ¨ and not ^.

- I found that after the keyboard map is chosen at boot time, changing /etc/keymap (through mouse/keyboard wizard) doesn't change the keymap in practice.

Now I'll try to change the keymap, save a pup_save (with this vesa configuration) and see if it changes anything.

Edit- Thanks a lot, Olov! It worked nicely. There must be a reboot to activate the new keymap. I'll send a PM to Barry.

Edit2- Done.