Puppy 1.0.7 released, 30th Dec 2005

News, happenings
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#21 Post by Flash »

I only played around with them but from the little I saw I much prefer Xdiskusage to Gdmap.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#22 Post by GuestToo »

i find treemaps extemely useful to get an idea of the space useage if files

i find the colours very useful too, to get a better idea of what kind of files i have in a folder

gdmap makes Puppy one step closer to an all-i-need distro (watching tv with mplayer is another)

i find my GdMap roxapp wrapper useful ... i can drag any folder or drive from a Rox window to the desktop icon, to open a Gdmap window showing the files in that folder

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5048

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#23 Post by Flash »

I like the colors too, but how do you make Gdmap display as a tree?

I liked that Xdiskusage shows the names of the directories (folders.) I have one Windows NTFS directory which is mp3 audio books organized by author. I have found no way in Windows to display that directory as a tree that shows the books under each author. Xdiskusage does that.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#24 Post by GuestToo »

xdiskmap is an enhanced version of xdu

xdu displays the output of du in graphical form
du's output is a tree structure

gdmap does not display the output of du
it does not display tree structure at all

du shows sizes of folders
gdmap shows information about files in a folder and subfolders ... sizes, types, what folders they are in

gdmap shows information about files
xdiskuseage shows information about folders
it does not seem to show any information about files at all

they show different kinds of information

i find the information displayed by GdMap to be extremely useful
i find the information displayed by xdiskmap to be largely useless for my purposes
I liked that Xdiskusage shows the names of the directories (folders.)
GdMap shows the name of each and every file and directory that you move the mouse over ... the files in any subfolders are arranged together ... the size of files and directories are proportional to the size of the squares that represent each file and each directory

kethd

#25 Post by kethd »

I was learning that Xdiskusage implied the size of files at one level, by what was missing at the next level down.

SpaceMonger for Windows is like Gdmap but much easier to use because it actually shows the names and attributes of files and folders overlayed on the graphics, wherever the lettering will fit. And it is very easy to go up and down levels, as you wish. Gdmap does not seem to allow going up one level, only going back to previous views. Mousing around is a very difficult way to find something in particular that you are looking for.

Which leaves us with practical problems:
Are there any programs like Xdiskusage, but much smaller, so we can have both?
How can we improve Gdmap? My first impression is that the simplest improvement might be for the border of each folder to be optionally thicker, so you are just faced with an undelineated sea of squares. But in the long run it really needs to be able to label the big squares and folders with lettering.

varaahan

xorg not working

#26 Post by varaahan »

Hi !
In puppy 1.0.7 xorg is not working (in spite of all combinations).
xvesa works.

Boovarahan S

kethd

#27 Post by kethd »

I played a little more with Gdmap... I was wrong. It is not that it refuses to go up just one level. It is that it refuses to go down more than one level at once. As you drill down, each directory level is listed across the upper border, and you can quickly move back and forth between those levels. But there is nothing to help you keep focus on one file. As you drill down, you have to re-find your item of interest at random, each level.

But my main initial complaint about Gdmap is easily cured. Just edit .jwmrc, changing <gdmap> to <gdmap -f />. Now, when you open the desktop menu item you will instantly get something useful!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#28 Post by BarryK »

kethd wrote:But my main initial complaint about Gdmap is easily cured. Just edit .jwmrc, changing <gdmap> to <gdmap -f />. Now, when you open the desktop menu item you will instantly get something useful!
I'm wondering if that difficulty in getting to / is deliberate.
I seem to recall that if you try "du /" you can be waiting awhile, also it's probably not appropiate to do it for /proc.

...probably worth having a chat with the developer over that. he/she is actively working on Gdmap, so will probably be responsive to suggestions.

kethd

#29 Post by kethd »

Yes, I suspect there may be Puppy installs where Gdmap defaulting to / could be an issue. The best solution to this would be if you could easily drill down right away, without waiting for it to finish the initial scan. Maybe it already handles this fairly well?

I would not mind if it defaulted into something much safer, home or root or whatever, but definitely default into actually scanning/displaying SOMETHING -- and IF there was an immediate one-click access to /. And, IF there was immediate one-click access to going UP the tree level by level, from wherever the default start path is!

(And a full map of / is certainly confusing, since you get all of ram-kcore and proc and all such weird confusing virtual stuff. But on the other hand, that stuff is all a "true" reflection of Linux internals, so good for those of us trying to learn about such things. It would certainly be ideal for there to be a Newbie mode to easily include/exclude such weirdnesses.)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#30 Post by GuestToo »

Now, when you open the desktop menu item you will instantly get something useful!
i still think my GdMap roxapp wrapper is useful ... just drag any folder you want to examine to the GdMap icon, and the files in that folder are immediately displayed by GdMap

and it's very easy to navigate in Rox windows ... for example, i set up the shortcuts so that i get / when i press 1 ... i get /tmp when i press 3 ... i get my-documents when i press 4 ... i get my-applications when i press 5 ... etc etc etc

BarryK
Puppy Master

#31 Post by BarryK »

GuestToo wrote:
Now, when you open the desktop menu item you will instantly get something useful!
i still think my GdMap roxapp wrapper is useful ... just drag any folder you want to examine to the GdMap icon, and the files in that folder are immediately displayed by GdMap

and it's very easy to navigate in Rox windows ... for example, i set up the shortcuts so that i get / when i press 1 ... i get /tmp when i press 3 ... i get my-documents when i press 4 ... i get my-applications when i press 5 ... etc etc etc
Yes, I think it's a good idea too.

kethd

Dell CPi laptop

#32 Post by kethd »

I finally got a chance to test 107final LiveCD in a sample target Dell CPi D266XT P-II 128MBram laptop that requires FrameBuffer support for the NeoMagic Graph 128XD video hardware... Mostly good news, just some minor issues to note -- THANK YOU BARRY!

* Xorg Video Wizard *
typo: change "choise" to choice
h/v freqs now are listed everywhere -- Thank You!
That "other" option sounds good (though I haven't tried it).
The first menu screen has something in an illegible green font at the bottom of the list, probably trying to tell us there are more options -- please change the font color of that item.
It is now correctly defaulting to 1024x768x16 after I choose LCD 1024x768. But it is still wrongly offering 1024x768x24, on a computer which only has 2MB of video memory, so that option is not mathematically feasible. Not all users are going to understand their hardware that well. If it is not possible to probe the hardware well enough to determine that there is not enough video memory for that mode, it might be good to at least display the calculated required memory (2.25MB in this case) to help the user. As things are, bytes are not even mentioned, so the user has to bring a full understanding of what x16 and x24 mean/imply.

Loading just usr_cram.fs from the CD takes 78 seconds to read 53MB. Yikes! The laptop CD drive is rated 24X, which should be 3.6MB/s, I thought. So it is taking about five times as long as it should. But I can't really blame Puppy -- I can't seem to do any better reading the same CD on the same computer using Win98SE. (I know the 24X is misleading, with the "variable-upto" qualifier, but it still sounds like it is spinning at minimum speed, and it sure feels slow.) The only solution that comes to mind would be loading usr_cram in the background while the boot process proceeds. And the only way I can imagine to pull that off would be to just mount it and just start caching the contents, but have a way to usually force complete caching, then be able to lock down that hunk of cache and unmount the CD. I haven't heard of anyone teaching Linux such a trick yet.

It doesn't seem like the keyboard default is working optimally. Even though I see messages of defaulting to a "us" map, I am always then offered a keyboard menu window defaulting to "az..." at the top, and us is not even among the first screenfull. So instead of just hitting enter to get the most common default, I always have to use a half-dozen key-strokes to get down to "us".

The CAPS LOCK bug seems to be gone, within Xorg.

The warning timeouts, 10secs, should allow hitting enter to continue immediately. The longer more serious timeouts should be indefinite in length, again allowing enter to continue immediately. (And I'd rather the standard LiveCD boot menu default to the safer 3 rather than 1, esp if it is going to autolaunch after ten seconds.)

But all in all, another nice little leap forward for Puppy-kind.

kethd

#33 Post by kethd »

I've played some more with Xorg, on a 1GHz Duron mainboard. Definite step forward from the pre-release versions of 1.0.7!

Xvesa still has the CAPS LOCK problem, but Xorg does not.

The new Xorgwizard does a great job of telling you the mode and frequencies chosen. But afterward, when you are in the full desktop, there does not seem to be any video mode info available -- not the freqs, the rez, or even if you are using xorg or xvesa.

You are allowed to change the display resolution in xorg from within xwin, but the results are odd -- you end up in odd confused transition graphics states, with windows not mapping properly, and have to restart xwin manually -- if you can figure out how.

But there is also something mysterious happening -- the resolution changing tool does change the configuration, but does not seem to modify the xorg.conf file! So things can get quite out of sync. And even besides that, it seems possible for various reasons to actually be in a mode other than that specified in xorg.conf.

As things are, configuring the video with Xorg is somewhat a tedious, not so responsive part of booting the LiveCD on a bare machine, even quite a fast one. This is OK the first time through, but for reboots on equipment you are pretty familiar/confident about, it would be good to be able to bypass all the testing/verifying, just specify the parameters and tell it to go ahead with them.

ICPUG

#34 Post by ICPUG »

Of course - if a pup001 exists the video parameters are stored in there.

However, I do agree with Kethd. It would be nice to define them at start up. I would like to run Puppy on my NTFS based machine at work for certain tasks. I will not put the pup001 file on the works machine. When I tried to use Puppy it worked, but I soon realised by the time I had set up Xorg I could have booted Kanotix and be done with it!

ICPUG

jmarsden

#35 Post by jmarsden »

ICPUG wrote:I would like to run Puppy on my NTFS based machine at work for certain tasks. I will not put the pup001 file on the works machine. When I tried to use Puppy it worked, but I soon realised by the time I had set up Xorg I could have booted Kanotix and be done with it!
I think (I've not tried this!) that you should be able to go through the Xorg config once, and then remaster and burn a fresh custom Puppy-CD with those configs burned right into it... then booting from that one should avoid the need to specify video settings each time?

Of course, if your work PC's lack CD burners, that's not very convenient for you...! Maybe in that case you could do the Xorg config dance once on a work machine, then copy the resulting in-RAM config files back to your home PC over the Internet, then later go home, and burn a custom CD with them on it there to bring to work next day??

I'm fairly sure there's a way of doing this :-)

Jonathan

ICPUG

#36 Post by ICPUG »

Thanks Jonathan. The work's PC does indeed lack a CD burner. It also lacks a decent operating system now that it recently moved to XP from NT4.

One of the nice things about software, rather than harware, is that there usually is a way of doing something, when you know how.

However, remastering is a skill I have not yet acquired so sorting this out may take a little while.

ICPUG