Puppy 4.3 pre-beta bug reports

Please post any bugs you have found
BarryK
Puppy Master

Puppy 4.3 pre-beta bug reports

#1 Post by BarryK »

As announced on my blog:

http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00934

I was unable to upload the full "standard" build with 2.6.25.16 kernel, but charlie6 is helping out there. The standard build has rerwin's latest full set of drivers for Conexant HCF and HSF modems. It is our greatest "modem special" yet.

The "advanced" build with 2.6.29.6 kernel is lacking some 3rd-party drivers. Let me know what's missing, I'll see if I can get them compiled for the next release. Note, the 2.6.29.6 kernel source and sfs files are at my source repo puppylinux.com/sources.

Probably naming the iso files so cryptically wasn't such a brilliant idea -- that is 'ppa-422.iso' and 'pps-422.iso'.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Jim1911

#2 Post by Jim1911 »

Barry,

Thanks for another fine update based on your superb woof. The speed and all the updated applications are great.

Problems noted so far:

1. Set global font size does not work.

2. ext4 partitions are not recognized.

3. xsane doesn't recognize the HP 5280.

Frugal installation of the latest kernal on this system: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One, Printer-Scanner-Copier. Will also try it on an old Sony laptop with only 64mb of ram.

dogone

422 observations to date

#3 Post by dogone »

11. Boot of Thinkpad 600E with 422-k2.6.25.16 stalls at point of searching disk for Puppy files. All activity stops. Is this kernel not appropriate to the 600E (412 retro (k2.6.21.7) boots fine)?

10. (RESOLVED) Confirming davids45. Hardinfo and uname report kernel v.2.6.29.6. Was there a mix-up?

9. Some Sylpheed (2.4.7) instability observed (client dies instantly when a particular message opened via IMAP). I've not seen this before and Claws-mail is fine with that message (kernel related?)

8. Network wizard still fails occasionally to obtain DHCP address during initial wireless setup (without flagging the error). I must return to the wizard and manually trigger Auto DHCP to obtain the address. Could this be a timing problem - too soon / too fast?

7. (RESOLVED) HP5500A USB scanner not detected. 417 (2.6.30.1) detected the scanner without difficulty.

6. Uget opens with a new download dialog showing a URL and file name of "%u". Also experienced in 417.

5. (RESOLVED?) Bcrypt advises that "password must have at least 9 characters" but does not accept fewer than 10. (The fix of incrementing the "must have" alert by 1 appears to have bumped the required character count by 1. IOW, the same problem + 1.). Also experienced in 417.

4. Zfind GUI stops responding when a search of root ("/") is executed and must be killed. Zfind remains running in the background with extreme CPU load. Searches above "/" appear to work. Also experienced in 417.

3. (RESOLVED) During installation of MC (Midnight Commander), PPM displayed "Examine Dependencies" button. Clicking it did nothing. MC installation was then completed with a missing dependency: "mc: error while loading shared libraries: libgpm.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". Also experienced in 417.

2. PstreamTV fails to launch Gxine as configured (full screen). If "-f" switch omitted, Gxine runs well.. Suggest PstreamTV default to Gxine windowed.

1. Alsaconf (Alsawizard) still reports "No supported PnP or PCI card found..." despite successful boot-time loading of the appropriate modules (ice1724). Sound does work if configured manually. Also experienced in 416, 417.
Attachments
dogone_hardinfo_report.txt.gz
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Last edited by dogone on Wed 05 Aug 2009, 16:05, edited 9 times in total.

trio

#4 Post by trio »

Barry,

Re the gXine , as I stated in your blog, it plays fullscreen from GUI, but not from pstreamvid (that means similar with typing in terminal/comandline)..I guess you haven't tried in teminal..I ried it again at home from another computer, same result, ok from gui, not ok from terminal

Thank you for you attention .. I wish i could help more

rerwin

#5 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I am attempting to compile modem modules in ppa_422, but run into the same problem I had with kernel 2.6.30.1. To do this, I renamed the devx used with p417-k2.6.30.1 to ...422..., since you have not yet provided an appropriately named devx for 422.

The problem is that a critical file is missing from the kernel source, causing any compile to fail. I first tried compiling dgcmodem, but then tried pctel, which I infer you have compiled, since it is in the sources-k2.6.29.6/3rdparty/modems directory. The error log for pctel is smaller, but shows what the problem is:
CC vuart.o
LD binary.a
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.29.6/build M=/root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.6'
LD /root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src/built-in.o
CC [M] /root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src/linmodem-2.6.o
In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
from include/linux/module.h:13,
from /root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src/linmodem-2.6.c:31:
include/linux/mmzone.h:18:26: error: linux/bounds.h: No such file or directory
include/linux/mmzone.h:256:5: warning: "MAX_NR_ZONES" is not defined
In file included from include/linux/gfp.h:4,
from include/linux/kmod.h:22,
from include/linux/module.h:13,
from /root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src/linmodem-2.6.c:31:
include/linux/mmzone.h:290: error: 'MAX_NR_ZONES' undeclared here (not in a function)
make[2]: *** [/root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src/linmodem-2.6.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/root/pctel-0.9.7-9-rht-10-patched1/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Others (not re Puppy, though) have reported this problem, but I find nothing that looks like a resolution. The linux/bounds.h file needed to resolve variables used in include/linux/mmzone.h is apparently expected to be created automatically somehow, but the trail stops there! Is there something that you have done to your copy of the source directory that did not get done for the version you posted in "sources"?

I would like to help by compiling the modem modules, but I am "dead in the water", right now. Could you help me out, here? Thanks.
Richard

zigbert

#6 Post by zigbert »

Barry
A quick report

- For the first time ever I have 24 bits colour-depth on my laptop screen (acer aspire 5610Z) out of the box. Great news !!!
- Embedded bookmarks misses menu-icon
- This version (kernel 2.6.29.6) still troubles with detecting burnt disc until you reload it. Puppy 417 with kernel 2.6.30.1 did the job.
- Do you have any special reason for keeping readcd and other apps/scripts from the cdrkit package?
- Thanks for updating Pburn to the latest.
- gPlanarity is addictive.
- I personally think the gtkdialog markup editor fits better in devx_430.sfs
- In general, it feels fast. (or may I use the correct term - 'snappy')
- Pressing 'Insert' (keyboard) while writing a post to this topic quits seamonkey.

Thanks for your effort
Sigmund

davids45

#7 Post by davids45 »

G'day from the future (well, 2 hours ahead),
Dual-core desktop computer, 2 hard drives heavily laden with Pups and partitions.

Dowloaded the delta for the 2.6.30.1 kernel 417 but it would not self-create the new iso (nothing on gear-icon clicking).

So used the xdelta pet and forum guidance to add the delta file giving the expected 422 iso.

Need acpi=off to boot live CD - this is happening on this computer with most Woof-based Pups, whereas I had not needed this before.
Frugal install to partition for sfs4-type frugals went OK. Dual cores working. Hardware info says this is the 2.6.26.6 kernel not the 30 version.
Network connections wired and wireless (static IPs) fine and fast via the wizard.
Universal installer advice is to add 'nosmp' - I ignore this (should this be re-worded as more computers now have dual or more cores which sometimes can make Puppy do things faster).

Drive icons form a pile at the bottom right corner of the screen after the first ten or so line up along the bottom. Some Puplets have fixed this default behaviour (eg 214x7) but dragging the icons into neat rows also works.

Save file created happily and re-booting with a selection of sfs4 files also OK.

Digital TV worked immediately on gxine - once I copied the Sydney channels.conf to /.xine.

Seahaven on the Live-CD did not run ('segmentation fault') but my pet of this installed over the top of this did. Then Seahaven in my games.smp4.sfs also did not work. So I'm using the Pysol version for my Seahaven fix.

Of what I do with Puppy, the only other comment is that again as with most Woof-based Pups, the Shutdown only goes as far as closing down (halting) the system leaving the computer (fans at least) still running. Earlier Pups shut everything down on this computer. I'd suspect the acpi=off is involved?

An impressive pre-beta (If that's where we are in working through the Greek alphabet).

David S.
Last edited by davids45 on Sat 01 Aug 2009, 04:23, edited 1 time in total.

timremy

puppy 4.3 beta

#8 Post by timremy »

hello
first time i did this. try out a beta package.

for my limited knowledge, two items:

1. no mouse : usb : (touch pad works)

2. wifi wizard acted up : the screen just locked up.

i run puppy 4.2.1 with no problems.

hope this helps.

timremy

01micko

Re: puppy 4.3 beta

#9 Post by 01micko »

timremy wrote:hello
first time i did this. try out a beta package.

for my limited knowledge, two items:

1. no mouse : usb : (touch pad works)

2. wifi wizard acted up : the screen just locked up.

i run puppy 4.2.1 with no problems.

hope this helps.

timremy
Hi timremy

You should describe your hardware. Also, you don't mention which version you have. At the moment there are 2 available, soon to be 3. They each have different kernels so the hardware detection may be different for each one.

Did any other usb devices work? Describe what you mean by "acted up". I had no problems with the network wizard using ppa-422 (the "a" in "ppa" meaning advanced- meaning 2.6.29.6 kernel :wink: )

Don't be discouraged. I'm not flaming you. I have made the same mistakes... (many times :lol: )

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

James C

#10 Post by James C »

Running kernel 2.6.29.6 live, saving to usb stick, on an Athlon 850 w/256 mb ram (1gb swap) .... Nvidia Riva TNT2 video and Ensoniq CT5880 sound card.

Installed Firefox 3.5 pet, as I have done on all the previous alpha's. Installed fine but when launched froze up the computer. Had to do a hard reboot.

Uninstalled and reinstalled again with the same result, a frozen computer.Pet worked perfectly on all of the Alphas though.

Opera 10 and Ttuuxxx's Firepup are installed and working fine.

The sound worked before making the save file.....afterward Alsa doesn't detect anything as a previous post mentioned so no sound.

However, it seems pretty stable and is FAST!!!!!! Package Manager works fine and network connection was a breeze.

Great job for a pre-beta. Thanks.

gposil

#11 Post by gposil »

Another Mirror for 4.3 pre-beta is below and charlie6 will be uploading pps-422.iso soon ...

http://www.gposil.com/test/puppy-4.3pre-beta/

Cheers
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

Abiword Presentation View (worked in previous Alpha) does not now appear to be working?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

charlie6

4.3pre-beta "standard" (i.e. pps-422.iso) download

#13 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
download from here:
(many hanks to Lobster and Zappdog for hosting advices ! )
http://www.teradepot.com/gebjj7ynhwff/pps-422.iso.html
(just follow indications - it is free)
Cheers
Charlie
EDIT:
download checked from that repo ; md5sum matches OK
( find md5sum here
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 3pre-beta/
in md5sums.txt)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

thanks Charlie,

using it now :)
the change font size option is available in this kernel version

Presentation in Abiword not working
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

charlie6

#15 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Guy,

In the meanwhile I have uploaded to teradepot - see link 1 or 2 posts just above this one in the present thread.
gposil wrote:.. and charlie6 will be uploading pps-422.iso soon ...
I went to your web site. I well received a confirmation mail. But how to upload to the given URL? ( I have certainly missed something or I am missing some knowledge about uploading ).
Thanks for eventual extra informations.
Cheers
Charlie

gposil

#16 Post by gposil »

Charlie6 if you don't want the use of the test mirror at gposil.com, could you let me know, i'll run the diff file myself and upload if you can't....please let me know
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

GrumpyWolfe

Pdf reader

#17 Post by GrumpyWolfe »

When I go to http://www.dol.gov/vets/ and download a file Final Vets Guide in puppy pb4.3 it just crashes. But my wife is using puppylinux 4.2 she has no problem with it.

Now on puppylinux pb4.3 ePDF reader is 0,1.6 but in puppylinux 4.2 it is 0.1.7 and that is what I think is the problem.
Live and Let Live

Acer Aspire One N450 1.66GHz

[url=http://sourceforge.net/projects/mywolfe/]MyWolfe at Sourceforge[/url]
[url=http://mywolfe.blogspot.com/]MyWolfe Blog[/url]
[url=http://groups.google.com/group/mywolfe-linux]MyWolfe Groups[/url]

jakfish

#18 Post by jakfish »

Specs: Asus eee 900/4.3 prebeta pps/frugal install on 4gb Kingston SD card

Trying to power off or reboot, during the puppy save process, I get a strange error:

"Modprobe fatal /sys is not mounted"

This appears to have no effect on the actual save or the subsequent reboot into puppy.

Has anybody ever seen this before? Google tells me that it's found in other linux OS's, but with severe effects, such as inability to boot, etc.

Jake

tasmod

#19 Post by tasmod »

Downloaded ppa422 and usual problem with that kernel, it will not recognise the wireless keyboard so I can go no further than 'country' menu. :(

Downloaded pps422 and success, now posting from it. :D

All seems OK so far.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

gyro

rc.shutdown elephant still in the room

#20 Post by gyro »

Just downloaded and ran ppa-422.iso.

Frugal install on NTFS.

When I fsck the ppasave.2fs file from puppy 412, I get:

Code: Select all

/dev/loop2 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
It appears that rc.shutdown is not cleanly umounting the pupsave filesystem.

This problem was present in 4.1.n and 4.2.n, and it's still here.

gyro