PET MAKER - 2.3 - Oct 2014

Miscellaneous tools
Caneri

#61 Post by Caneri »

Very cool work Trio.
Robert may want this for his clients..and I wouldn't blame him one iota...go get 'em

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

trio

#62 Post by trio »

Updated to v 1.7 - Plus a menu entry maker - you can only make one menu entry each package (sfs or pet), I do not want to confuse new puppy users, if you make another one, it will only replace the existing..

please see main post for download

Note: I haven't deleted the v 1.6 yet. I need some testers to report of all the functions:

1. dir2pet
2. dir2sfs
3. pet2sfs
4. SFS installer
5. Menu entry maker
6. All of the www buttons
7. other buttons

Since I think, this will be a final Pet Maker Plus ... better to wait for reports..thank you

@Warmock , I think of your suggestion again, I don't think I will put deb installer in Pet Maker, since it is not an official puppy package, and many of them don't work in puppy, I don't want to encourage newbies to install deb..maybe I will make a different GUI app for it, just like SFS Installer, but you could just google for "undeb puppy linux" or "deb install puppy linux"

Regards,

Trio

tlchost

#63 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:Updated to v 1.7 - Plus

Since I think, this will be a final Pet Maker Plus
Do you think it will ever work on a bootable usb drive?

Hope so.....I think what you've done will allow many of us "non technical" users to get a lot more out of Puppy.

Thom

trio

#64 Post by trio »

Hi Thom,

What would not work is only sfs installer, I can't seem to mount sfs on usb. But it is meant for full hd install, usb frugal should load sfs, not install it. For any other functions other than that, should work fine. Have you tested? Reports please? Thanks

WarMocK

#65 Post by WarMocK »

@trio: no problem.
I'm already using undeb from time to time to install various smaller apps with little to no external dependencies. It was just an idea to wrap them up into a dotpetfor redistribution purposes. But I guess it's better to wait for Puppy 5.0 and it's native .deb support rather than risking to nuke your entire system with an imported application. ;-)

trio

#66 Post by trio »

Updated to v 1.7-2 - change drop down menu entry item, each for 1 menu entry on puppy

Updated to v 1.7-3 - Hardcoded DIR

Please see main post.....

Since there is no report on any bugs ... I deleted the version 1.6

Regards,

Trio

trio

#67 Post by trio »

New version 1.7-3-430 - Designed to fit upcoming 430, was pet up also in 430. No menu entry maker, dir2pet will adhere to 430, and 430 already has menu entry maker (for a menu entry in dir2sfs func, just make a menu entry and add the file to the "to be sfs" folder)

See main post - testers welcome

tlchost

#68 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:New version 1.7-3-430
You might want to consider adding it to the Online Database
http://www.puppylinux.us

trio

#69 Post by trio »

tlchost wrote:
trio wrote:New version 1.7-3-430
You might want to consider adding it to the Online Database
http://www.puppylinux.us
Done! :wink: I'll make entries for other important stuff i made later on

trio

#70 Post by trio »

trio wrote:New version 1.7-3-430 - Designed to fit upcoming 430, was pet up also in 430. No menu entry maker, dir2pet will adhere to 430, and 430 already has menu entry maker (for a menu entry in dir2sfs func, just make a menu entry and add the file to the "to be sfs" folder)

See main post - testers welcome
:oops:

Sorry, I deleted and reloaded v 1.7-3-430 ... edited the install sfs function...but did not change the pet name. Please anyone who has installed, to re-install again

tlchost

Test of Pet_Maker-1.7-3.pet

#71 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote: What would not work is only sfs installer, I can't seem to mount sfs on usb. But it is meant for full hd install, usb frugal should load sfs, not install it. For any other functions other than that, should work fine. Have you tested? Reports please? Thanks
Sorry for the delay. Here's what I did:

Puppy 4,2.1retro on bootable USB drive
A. Installed Pet_Maker-1.7-3.pet
B. Converted Realplayer11.pet to sfs file
PetMaker placed sfs file in /root/my-documents/
PetMaker installed the SFS file
C. Tested...works fine
D. Moved the sfs file to the bootabe USB drive
E. Uninstalled Realplayer.sfs from package manager and updated menus
F. RealPpayer not on system
G. Added Realplayer.sfs to startup
H. Rebooted system and Realplay appears in menu and works

Thanks!! This is a fantastic tool

Now, I need to find a version of the 4.2.1 retro kernel that supports more than 3 sfs files. I'm maxed out now with 3 sfs files.

Thom

trio

#72 Post by trio »

Hi Thom,

Great report! Thanks

tlchost

#73 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:Hi Thom,

Great report! Thanks
My pleasure....and thanks to you.

Being slow of mind....I found that the xamp-linux.1.7xxx.sfs file that's floating around simply doesn' work for me....so I downloaded and installed the
xamp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz from Apachefriends,org ... it works fine but it takes a lot of space.

How can a real beginner with making pets/sfs create a pet or sfs from that tar file?

Thanks
Thom

trio

#74 Post by trio »

tlchost wrote: How can a real beginner with making pets/sfs create a pet or sfs from that tar file?
Hi,

That depends...if the tar consist of ready to use compiled binary, then you just extarct it to it's right path, and use Pet_Maker to create pet or sfs (As advertised, Pet Maker is supposed to create sfs or pet from your own files)

If the tar ball consist of source files, then you need to extract it and compile it (which I am no expert in compiling :lol: )

Cheers

tlchost

#75 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:
tlchost wrote: How can a real beginner with making pets/sfs create a pet or sfs from that tar file?
Hi,

That depends...if the tar consist of ready to use compiled binary, then you just extarct it to it's right path, and use Pet_Maker to create pet or sfs (As advertised, Pet Maker is supposed to create sfs or pet from your own files)
I beleive all the files are compiled....I opened the tar file, and everything in /opt/lampp ... I think that's simple enough for me to do

Thanks

tlchost

#76 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:
Everything is in /opt/lampp

I tried petmaker....but when it told me to mark files individually, I threw my hands up, since there are over 600 files! Did I miss soem command that
would mark everything in /opt/lampp ?

So, I tried dir2sfs .... looks like it worked....but it doesn't load in at startup.
Then, I tried dir2pet .... made a pet file, but PetMaker did not convert it(May be the problem you indicated about issues with USB drive).

Thom

trio

#77 Post by trio »

tlchost

Try again, step by step
From Pet Maker - PET tab:

1. type in Directory name, click create directory
2. choose a directory (you can copy a whole directory at once), click add directory
3. click create pet

that's it

tlchost

#78 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote: Try again, step by step
I did...saw where I made a mistake.

I created a pet file and then an sfs file

They both appeared to be correct, till I loaded them in .... everything in the /opt/lampp seemed to work....but mysql didn't start....either via lampp or calling it standalone.

So, I'm mystified.

Thom

trio

#79 Post by trio »

tlchost

Can't help you there, the pet and sfs seems to be in order. I suspect the targz is a source or it is not suitable for puppy. I don't even know what lampp is, something to light up the room? :lol:

tlchost

#80 Post by tlchost »

trio wrote:tlchost

Can't help you there, the pet and sfs seems to be in order. I suspect the targz is a source or it is not suitable for puppy. I don't even know what lampp is, something to light up the room? :lol:
lampp is a combination of Apache, PHP and MySql....used for web development. It's not the tar that's at fault....it extracts fine, and all the programs run as they should.

So, the problem is that Petmaker doesn't seem to be able to make either a .pet or an .sfs file.

I tried dir2sfs also. I must not understand that, since while it makes an sfs that includes the lampp directory which is under /opt ..... the sfs does not produce /opt/lampp

Thom