Sound from headphone jack but not from speakers

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
pup2learn222

#1 Post by pup2learn222 »

Hi all
Alsa see's card but no sound out of speakers with 4.2 standard, retro wont boot off cd, machine is a amd athalon 64 frugal install.Card identified as realtek 272 in alsa mixer in menu.

Usb flash drive 3.01 will boot but no sound as well.

Ok after banging head for several days & trying many of what others have tried I can get sound as is but out of only the headphone jack with wireless working.

If I use puppy acpi=ht with a cd boot I get sound from computer speakers but then I loose wireless function.

in modprobe.conf
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel model=acer <--- put this line in myself no effect though.

Either this is a bug or a missing direction in one of the files,I just don't know....

Thanks for the read & for the help in advance.

Patriot

Re: acer aspire 5516

#2 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

As far as I'm aware of, pup4.2.x is using alsa 1.0.16 modules mixed with alsa 1.0.19 lib/utils (can someone verify this?) ...

Basically, the sound modules are alsa 1.0.16 and can be considered a wee bit outdated for HDA support. Recent alsa versions have improved HDA support (but still not perfect yet, IMHO). If you're able to compile them latest ones, I recommend trying them out. I do have a complete binary set already made but for retro kernel (2.6.21.7).

1. In a terminal, get alsa module version :

Code: Select all

# cat /proc/asound/version
2. Get alsa cards & hda sound codec in use:

# cat /proc/asound/cards
# cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0 | grep Codec
3. Get alsa->oss mixer compat layer assignments:

# cat /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer
4. Get amixer controls (ie. for hda widget assignments)

# amixer controls
(Note: If you intend to include all the above info, please upload as attachment.)

Previous alsa version used in puppy doesn't handle alc272 quirks yet. Alc272 is grouped together with alc662/663 in latest alsa and have specific model quirks assignments. No model assignments for alc272 is available in alsa-1.0.16 ...

I'm unable to make an alsa-1.0.20 binary set for k2.6.25.16 right now (probably I can do so this weekend). Maybe someone can beat me to it ?

Rgds

pup2learn222

acer aspire 5516

#3 Post by pup2learn222 »

Patriot
here is what all those codes produced see attachment, like you suggested.
Attachments
acer.png
here is info if you guys would like to view
(29.48 KiB) Downloaded 708 times

Patriot

#4 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

Based on the provided output, it does seems to me that alc272 support is not yet included into alsa-1.0.16rc2 (compared to latest alsa-1.0.20) ... The line 'Codec: Realtek ID 272' indicate this issue and I believe it is using a generic hda configuration.

Since you're running standard kernel (k2.6.25.16) then you'll have to wait until this weekend if you want the latest alsa-1.0.20 binary set as I'm having some hectic days right now ...

I have no ALC272, instead I was having some issues with VT1708B hda previously. I've had my alsa binaries (for k2.6.21.7) patched to work specifically for my audio setup.

Rgds

pup2learn222

#5 Post by pup2learn222 »

Patriot
Since you're running standard kernel (k2.6.25.16) then you'll have to wait until this weekend if you want the latest alsa-1.0.20 binary set as I'm having some hectic days right now ...
Not a problem I can wait . I been doing some research on this alsa thing & found something in ubuntu http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 73090.html
this has the same kind of issue.
The funny thing is I installed the 9.04 with no problems, the 8.04 wouldn't boot in correctly some kind of error just like 4.2 retro, go figure.

Hey thanks for your help, I am kinda confused how you can work a far on a problem not on your machine. I don't really know much of linux but will learn, so if you'd like to give me code or what I need I can follow directions, "I think" :roll:

Patriot

#6 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....
pup2learn222 wrote: The funny thing is I installed the 9.04 with no problems, the 8.04 wouldn't boot in correctly some kind of error just like 4.2 retro, go figure.
Ubuntu 9.04 is using k2.6.28 with alsa-1.0.18 while the 8.04 is k2.6.24 with alsa-1.0.15 (In contrast, puppy is k2.6.25 with alsa 1.0.16) ... That would probably explain why 9.04 works fine ...
pup2learn222 wrote:Hey thanks for your help, I am kinda confused how you can work a far on a problem not on your machine. I don't really know much of linux but will learn, so if you'd like to give me code or what I need I can follow directions, "I think" :roll:
It all starts with the first step, so take it one step at a time. I've been looking on-and-off at alsa sources for weeks now and still learning to understand HDA internals (when time permits). The thing is, since alsa sources is publicly available, we can take a peek and see the 'magic' inside ...

Come back in a while and I'll post the new alsa binary as soon as possible ...

Rgds

pup2learn222

#7 Post by pup2learn222 »

Patriot
Ok Thank you for your time & help, I would like to learn the process of the how to do things after all I am in it to learn as well so take your time & get a handle on it.
best regards

BTW in 8.04 I never got to desktop
on the 4.2 retro it didn't go far & either was a kernel thing or it just stalled/locked up I can't remember though, I do know both the disks did work on other machines fine.

Patriot

Alsa 1.0.20 available ...

#8 Post by Patriot »

Hmmm .....

I've just made a set of alsa 1.0.20 binaries ... Caution is advised as I have yet to make extensive testing on other audio hardwares. Please note your kernel version before using ...

I suggest that you try them on a small 32MB/64MB save file first. Please follow this link to get them.

Rgds