Fatdog2 64bit alpha1

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
kirk

Fatdog2 64bit alpha1

#1 Post by kirk »

This is a 64bit (amd64 - x86_64) build of Fatdog2. This is build using the T2 trunk packages and Xorg from T2 revision 30200 so we can have Xorg 7.3. That's xorg-server 1.4.2, I did update many of the Xorg drivers and libdrm (I needed radeonhd with Xv working). Of course everything was compiled for x86_64 architecture (except the initrd, it's 32bit). I built this mainly for a HTPC so some of the packages are different from the 32bit version. Highlights:

Firefox 3.5.1
Flash 10 64bit alpha
Xine cvs
HandbrakeCLI with simple gtkdialog GUI
Kino
Sylpheed
Gparted

Lots of other little stuff. Some of the little stuff that's usually in Puppy is gone (wouldn't compile).

For a speed test I booted the 64bit version and the 32bit version on the same machine and used Handbrake to RIP a DVD. The 64bit version was about 20% faster. So maybe it was worth the work.

If you want to use Wine, this isn't for you. Wine is 32bit only (there's a 64bit version in the works).

Do not try to do a frugal install to ext4, it's not supported in the initrd.gz, Full installs should be fine.

You'll fine it here:

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/Fatdog2-64bit/

c0f561f00b8e062b67f4ef312f9aa8b3 Fatdog64-2a1.iso
8dad357a982168a13e8985f295481dc3 fd64-devx_200.sfs

There's a ATI fglrx 9.7 package there too, you'll need a pretty new card to use it. If you just want good 2d acceleration use the built-in radeonhd driver instead, It's better.
Last edited by kirk on Sat 08 Aug 2009, 02:55, edited 2 times in total.

Caneri

#2 Post by Caneri »

Hi kirk,

I put the files here http://puppylinux.ca/tpp/kirk/Fatdog2-64bit/

I made md5sum.txt files and they are correct.

When you do updates would you please let me know via pm or email with a link to the new files.

Best,
Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Thanks Eric, really appreciate your help. In the future I'll send you a PM. Big thanks for all the Hosting!

Also, I forgot to replace the mkswap and swapon/off Busybox utils. I did that for the 32bit version. Anyway, I'll edit this post later and attach the files.
Attachments
swap-utils.tar.gz
(14.34 KiB) Downloaded 1615 times

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

kirk,

Just downloaded your new 64bit alpha and did a frugal installation on sdb7 of this system:
BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart 5280 All-in-One, Printer-Scanner-Copier
You continue to improve your fine Fatdog pup. The speed is really impressive. Looking forward to seeing it develop especially since this appears to be the first 64bit pup.

Problems noted:
1. Set Global Font in Desktop Menu doesn't work. Barry's 422 had the same problem. See http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00963
2. Gparted fails to recognize my second HD. It shows checkboxes for sda and sdb, however, it only scans sda.
3. The Alsa sound wizard could not configure my sound.
4. Wallpaper setter doesn't work.

Thanks for sharing the results of your hard work.
Jim

kirk

#5 Post by kirk »

Hi Jim,
1. Set Global Font in Desktop Menu doesn't work. Barry's 422 had the same problem. See http://puppylinux.com/blog/?viewDetailed=00963
I'll see if I can get Barry's new script from Puppy beta.
2. Gparted fails to recognize my second HD. It shows checkboxes for sda and sdb, however, it only scans sda.
Open a terminal and type gparted, after gparted launches try the pull-down menu on the top right to select a different hard drive. Let me know if that works.
3. The Alsa sound wizard could not configure my sound.
Go to Menu - Setup - Multiple Sound Card Wizard, and use that to select your sound card/device. Then reboot and go to Menu - Multimedia - AlsaMixer and make sure you card is not muted. If you see MM in one of the controls, it's muted. Press the 'm' key to unmute/mute.

Thanks for the feed back.

Jim1911

#6 Post by Jim1911 »

HI kirk,
Open a terminal and type gparted, after gparted launches try the pull-down menu on the top right to select a different hard drive. Let me know if that works.
Still doesn't work, just skips the initial screen with checkmarks to select which drives to scan. Tazok's Lighthouse has Gparted 4.5 that works well, although not 64bit. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=38898
Sit Heel Speak wrote:Hi tazoc, Just dropping in to say thanks, this is the first newer Pup(py) I've seen since the 4.1-alpha's in which GPartEd works. In fact, I'm so impressed, I'm considering stealing her, ripping out all your WM's and the bling, and putting compiled-from-scratch Openbox on it. If I do, are ya gonna kill me? :lol:
Go to Menu - Setup - Multiple Sound Card Wizard, and use that to select your sound card/device. Then reboot and go to Menu - Multimedia - AlsaMixer and make sure you card is not muted. If you see MM in one of the controls, it's muted. Press the 'm' key to unmute/mute.
Still doesn't work.

I've also tried the latest pwidgits and an OOO sfs with no success. Package manager opens but will not update properly. Of course none of these are 64bit applications.

Providing some feedback is my little contribution to helping puppy. You fellows are the ones that do the real work.
Thanks,
Jim

kirk

#7 Post by kirk »

Jim,

Could you post the output of probepart and probedisk?

When you ran the Multiple Sound Card Wizard, did it actually show some cards/devices to choose from?

None of the pet packages or sfs files, except ones made for it, will work with this because it's 64bit only, I didn't include 32bit libs.

Thanks,

Kirk

Jim1911

#8 Post by Jim1911 »

HI kirk,

Outputs you requested:

# probepart
/dev/sda1|ntfs|726241272
/dev/sda2|ext3|524008170
/dev/sdb1|none|136777346
/dev/sdb2|none|2
/dev/sdb3|ext4|41945714
/dev/sdb4|vfat|89144684
/dev/sdb5|swap|9108792
/dev/sdb6|ext4|122881058
/dev/sdb7|ext3|225279432
/dev/sr0|none|2097150

probedisk
/dev/sda|Direct-Access|ATA Hitachi HDT72106
/dev/sdb|Direct-Access|ATA WDC WD3200AAJB-0
/dev/sr0|cdrom|PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-217D

Multiple Sound Card Wizard shows:
card0: Intel[HDA Intel], Device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
card0: Intel[HDA Intel], Device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
card1: pcsp [pcsp], device 0: pcspeaker [pcsp]
My sound card is a Realtek ALC1200 Audio built into my Asus P6T Motherboard.

Allthough the wallpaper setter doesn't work, the wallpaper has changed from the default to the lite grey.

I wasn't really expecting 32bit applications to work. From what I've seen with Fatdog in the past, this one will eventually be the best for up-to-date hardware and will include enough 64bit applications to satisfy most users.

Thanks,
Jim :)

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Just spotted this thread. Magic! Thanks, k. Why didn't BK divert his energy and enthusiasm into 64bit earlier? Poor lad seems to have lost his way at present, mired in endless kernels, versions, compatibilities, patches, etc.! Doubtless he finds all that absorbing but the point is lost on mere users. Wood for the trees syndrome - I guess we're all guilty at times...

kirk

#10 Post by kirk »

Here's a pet package with some fixes:

* Fixed the Wallpaper setter.

* Replaced the Set global font size app with Barry's new one.

* Update Pburn

* Updated some rc.d scripts.

* Added pureftpd, some how I left it out.

http://puppylinux.asia/tpp/kirk/Fatdog2 ... -fixes.pet (257K)

Sage

#11 Post by Sage »

On my 939 with onboard video and old Dell 17" TFT there were problems! On first running (pfix=ram), I got :
<fixing recursive fault but needs reboot>
Subsequently, it crashed on GB k/b & locale settings. Using the US ones, I got to the video selection screen, all options were, in principle, acceptable but all of them ended with a black screen, including the 'test' option. The green monitor lights were suggesting that there was OP being received. None of the usual key combos were effective in returning to selection screen - or any other screen, or even a reset.
Over to you....

kirk

#12 Post by kirk »

<fixing recursive fault but needs reboot>
Looks like the kernel is having some problems with your hardware. It's compiled for AMD64, newer Intels shouldn't have a problem though. Could be a module that your hardware needs that has a bug. Don't really know how to help with this. You've probably done this, but check the md5sum and verify the burn. Xorg is the only option as well, couldn't get the older smaller X servers to compile.

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

Danke schon. My HW is OK, kirk. I try to avoid using Intel stuff - long record of failures, over-pricing, illegal business practices, M$ liaison, etc! md5 is OK, too, but I'm always suspicious of onboard, esp. shared memory, video so will disable this and fit a PCIExpress and/or run it on a crt when time permits (at present, it doesn't). It would be nice to have a vanilla VESA driver, though, even if only for initial testing and setup on a wider range of 64bit stuff. Keep up the good work.

rexterd

#14 Post by rexterd »

Fatdog has aufs2, will it be possible to have a flavor for aufs as root filesystem so we can just mount sfs file and layer it to root and easily detached those sfs on the fly?

I really appreciate Fatdog's fast effort to adopt new kernels.

kirk

#15 Post by kirk »

Sage,

I wasn't trying to say your hardware was bad, just that this kernel is having a problem with it. A VESA/framebuffer X server would be nice, but I couldn't find one that would compile. If someone spots a Xvesa type X server on 64bit let me know.

Rexterd,

I haven't tried mounting and unmounting sfs files to the union for quite a while. The last time I tried that, you could add a new branch to the union without problems, but if you removed the branch the system would become unstable. If your interested you can give it a try. I think all of the AUFS tools are in there.

Sage

#16 Post by Sage »

Good news is that it worked flawlessly on one of my 754 s attached to my TFT telly. Boot up/loading was extremely slow but it got there in the end and it was quite quick then.
Notwithstanding, I once had a conversation with a technical editor of one of our magazines. He didn't like the concept of 64bit porting from 32bit, didn't see any value. He wanted stuff to be rewritten in 64bit. Somewhat of a more arduous task and not in immediate prospect, either for OS or apps.

rexterd

#17 Post by rexterd »

#note, PUPSAVE has format: partition,f.s.-of-part.,path/name ex: hda3,ext2,/pup220/pup_save.2fs
#Insert the script below right after the line above on your init script [intrd.gz]
# Recommended usb install where directory /fatdog boot files resides
# syslinux.cfg should have append initrd=/fatdog/initrd.gz layerfs=aufs
#Puppy should load disk modules and search puppy_xxx.sfs
#To test if your aufs is working type on root (/) -> touch xx ; xx file should appear in the /aufs/rw also
#To layer any sfs file
#mount -t squashfs /mnt/sda3/wine.sfs /wine -o loop
#mount -o remount,append:/wine /
#mount -o remount,del:/wine /

#Start aufs root = umpisa -------------------------------------------------
if [ $LAYERFS = "aufs" ]; then
sfs="pup_112.sfs"
usbmedia="/tmpfs/usbmedia"
[ -d /tmpfs ] || mkdir -p /tmpfs /tmpfs/rootfs /tmpfs/usbmedia /tmpfs/aufs /tmpfs/aufs/rw /tmpfs/aufs/ro
mount -t tmpfs -o size=75% tmpfs /tmpfs/aufs/rw
usb=""
partitions=`fdisk -l | grep "^/dev" | sed 's/ */:/g' | cut -f 1,6 -d ":"`
echo $partitions

for i in $partitions; do
device=${i%:*}
id=${i#*:}
case $id in
b)
type="vfat"
usb="yes"
;;
83)
type="ext3"
;;
27)
type="Unknown"
;;
7)
type="HPFS/NTFS"
;;
*)
continue
;;
esac
done
if [ $usb = "yes" ]; then
mount -t $type $device $usbmedia
echo "Mounting $sfs..." >/dev/console
mount -t squashfs $usbmedia/fatdog/$sfs /tmpfs/aufs/ro
check_status 0
fi
if [ -d /proc/bus/usb ]; then
echo -n "Mounting /proc/bus/usb filessystem..."
/bin/mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb
check_status 0
fi
echo -n "Mounting root aufs...." >/dev/console
mount -t aufs -o br:/tmpfs/aufs/rw=rw:/tmpfs/aufs/ro=ro aufs /tmpfs/rootfs
sleep 1
check_status 0
mkdir -p /tmpfs/rootfs/aufs /tmpfs/rootfs/aufs/ro /tmpfs/rootfs/aufs/rw
mount -o move /tmpfs/aufs/rw /tmpfs/rootfs/aufs/rw
mount -o move /tmpfs/aufs/ro /tmpfs/rootfs/aufs/ro

echo -n "Switching rootfs...">/dev/console
check_status 0
exec switch_root /tmpfs/rootfs /sbin/init

echo -n "You should not be here :) ..."
exec /bin/sh> /dev/console 2>&1
fi #LAYERFS aufs
#End aufs root = dito matatapos ------------------------------------------------

davids45

#18 Post by davids45 »

G'day kirk,
I have put FatDog 64bit a1 on my 64bit computer as a frugal.
Did not need to acpi=off to get it to run, unlike a lot of recent development Pups
But I got many irq messages across the screen during the set-up selections (keyboard, locale, video). The rest of the set-up info scrolled past too quickly to read.
The frugal with a save file runs quite well with what it's got. Network wizard was fine for wired & wireless connections.

Trying to add some existing Pets failed, a console giving shared library faults - "error while loading shared libraries; wrong ELF Class: ELFCLASS64".
Could you let me know what to do here - do I just need the 64 bit versions of the required libraries, and if so, where is a good place to look? Or do I need only 64 bit versions of any program I want to add to this FatDog?

I assume my existing collection of sfs files (3s and 4s) will also not run if loaded at boot (I did see the prompt for this but did not try adding any), for the same reason as the Pets wont. What version of sfs file is compatible with this 64 bit Pup - 3 or 4?

Thanks for this most interesting puplet,

David S.

Sage

#19 Post by Sage »

d45 - have you misunderstood the nature of the beast?! You cannot use 32bit material on a 64bit machine without rebuilding (porting, in the jargon) and recompiling. That applies to everything. If you read carefully what kirk has told you, this is an arduous process and doesn't work in any straightforward manner for a whole bunch of stuff. We are grateful to k for his efforts which, although an interesting intellectual challenge, remains to be assessed as a worthwhile exercise.

But don't let me discourage you, kirk. Perhaps you have the time, energy and enthusiasm to rewrite Puppy in 64bit assembler?! [The author of Kolibri did it.] The prize for any masochist engaging on such a truly valuable process would be an endless stream of consultancies, loadsa cash, world domination, Nobel prizes and a massive headache if not incarceration in the local 'clinic'.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

Most (maybe all) pet packages and SFS files that are not specifically made for Fatdog64, will not work. The exceptions would be scripts and binaries that are static. You could add 32bit libraries, but I wouldn't, it would be better to recompile the application.

There's not really any porting involved for most applications. Most are written in C and not processor specific. The compiler (gcc for us) takes care of converting C code into machine code. In this case the processor is x86 compatible as well.

As far as whether or not this has been a worthwhile exercise, that will depend on what you want it to do. For me it has. I wanted an OS that would allow me rip DVDs and render Flash video as quick as possible. DVDs rip about 20% faster and the 64bit Flash seems quite fast, though I can't quantify that. In the long run, maybe 5 or 6 years, 32bit processors will have all but died out and this will be direction we all go. Most computers sold over the past year or so are 64bit, though their owners may not know it, and they probably where delivered with 32bit OSs installed.