How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
sidders

#21 Post by sidders »

I had a problem similar on a csX. I upgraded the bios from the Dell website to A13 (or sonething like that) Could be worth exploring that option first.

ecomoney

#22 Post by ecomoney »

If there is already windoze installed, use the new puppy installer

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44098

You could then delete the windows program files and my documents which would essentially leave puppy installed on an ntfs partition (yes...we can install linux to ntfs now :wink: )

Another way would be to use a puppy boot floppy called wakepup, which I believe then transfers "control" of the boot process to a cd.

http://www.puppylinux.org/?q=wiki/softw ... es/wakepup
Puppy Linux's [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=296352#296352]Mission[/url]

Sorry, my server is down atm!

firepants-jr

Out of the box...live!

#23 Post by firepants-jr »

Thanks, guy!

Up and running w/ a 4.2.1 Frugal install in minutes. I love it when things work. :D

muklinux

#24 Post by muklinux »

i have an itronix gobook max ix550 and it has no cd drive i do have a usb can i install from a usb. also will puppy run my wireless netgear card, will puppy be faster than ubuntu 8.04...this thing is slow p3 128mb ram. i just want a surfing pc

Randy Pete

#25 Post by Randy Pete »

My install was quick and easy.

However...grub does not work...cannot boot from HD.

Randy Pete

#26 Post by Randy Pete »

Cancel my last comment,

I just re-installed 4.2.1 to HD as a full install.

Now everything works.

Roy

How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

#27 Post by Roy »

I am kinda' teetering on the edge here, wondering if this might be adaptable to provide an (any) advantage for netbook owners....

Theoretically, I should be able to boot an disc-burned iso on a full sized machine, use the Universal Installer to install Puppy onto a USB, boot from that USB onto a netbook, and (here is the theoretical part) run the USB Puppy's Universal Installer to accomplish a full install onto a netbook. All this to save the weight / burden of carrying an external CDROM drive around in my hip pocket... but I've never actually wiped everything and re-installed while I've been out on the road, so this remains theoretical to me. I have instead always returned 'home', with my head hung low, and used the external CD to correct my errant ways. (Has anybody actually done a full install to an internal hard drive, using only a normal/frugal USB Puppy as the entire source?)

Would an adaptation of this script / files provide any advantage over the theoretical procedure I've just outlined for (re)installation of a full install from a USB drive?

Maybe as an automated quick-erase security feature for a netbook's internal Solid State Drive?

Wondering/wandering minds... and all that.

-Roy

SaraB67217

New to Puppy

#28 Post by SaraB67217 »

Hello. I am really new to this. I am trying to fix, umm :?: reuse an old Dell laptop. It had Window vista on it and crashed. I was able to load an old version of Windows 98 SE that I had a disk for, but it isn't very usable for my needs. I was searching for a new OS when I came across Puppy, but I am definately not very good at all this. Can anyone simplify all this for a not too smart nurse back in school? :shock:

puppyite

Re: How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

#29 Post by puppyite »

Roy wrote:I am kinda' teetering on the edge here, wondering if this might be adaptable to provide an (any) advantage for netbook owners....

Theoretically, I should be able to boot a disc-burned iso on a full sized machine, use the Universal Installer to install Puppy onto a USB, boot from that USB onto a netbook, and (here is the theoretical part) run the USB Puppy's Universal Installer to accomplish a full install onto a netbook. All this to save the weight / burden of carrying an external CDROM drive around in my hip pocket... but I've never actually wiped everything and re-installed while I've been out on the road, so this remains theoretical to me. I have instead always returned 'home', with my head hung low, and used the external CD to correct my errant ways. (Has anybody actually done a full install to an internal hard drive, using only a normal/frugal USB Puppy as the entire source?)
No I haven't done a full install from USB but I can't imagine how it would be different than installing from a Live disc.

As an aside these vendors sell Puppy on USB flash drive:
OSDisc, Puppy 4.3 USB
On-Disk, Puppy 4.2 USB
I’ll wager it’s available elsewhere too if you prefer to shop around.

sidders

#30 Post by sidders »

SaraB67217 . There are 2 type of install you can perform, a Full or Frugal. Which install you use depends on how much memory the dell has.

256mb ram plus = Frugal otherwise a full install.

If you need to hunt around the forums for info use the Puppy Google search:

http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html

More info in installing here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=29356

and the beginners help page in the forum is here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2

If you find your stuck shout up.

ASRI éducation

#31 Post by ASRI éducation »

rcrsn51 wrote:For recyclers who want to image machines quickly, the easiest solution would be a remastered Live CD with the installer folder on the CD but external to the sfs file.
Thanks for your scripts rcrsn51

The full-install interests me. So I Frenchified and added your script to remaster my Toutou Linux 4.1.2 repack (version edutainment FR, for children aged 3 to 12 years).

The beta version of this French adaptation (TL4.12-asri.edu-FULLversion_beta-1.5.5.iso) is available on http://dl.free.fr/MuYEYr/ASRI_education/login Identifiant : ASRI Mot de passe : education

After some tests, I am convince that this feature could save time for volunteers from the association that I chair (ASRI education http://asri.edu.free.fr/).

But things do not work and I don't know why. If someone can help me understand, it would be nice.

Indeed, when i use on my computer the script "fulscr", the result is a single format ext2 partition without swap (usually, I use ext3 + swap). Why ?

I also noticed a new file "pupswap.swp" placed at the root of the drive.
I read ligne 93 of the "fulscr"

Code: Select all

#Create a swap file
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/$HDISK/pupswap.swp bs=1M count=128
mkswap /mnt/$HDISK/pupswap.swp
What does it mean ?

Best regards,

:)
Attachments
installers_repack_fr-1.0.zip
Frenchified scripts rcrsn51
(6.1 KiB) Downloaded 941 times
Last edited by ASRI éducation on Thu 01 Oct 2009, 00:36, edited 3 times in total.

Hubi5171

Delightfull installation on CF-card as an HDD

#32 Post by Hubi5171 »

I made a frugal install to a Compact Flash Card to test an CF to PATA 2.5"(44pin) converter. All went O.K.
Desktop PC: Pentium 4 1700MHz, 768MB DRAM Memory, 1x FDD, 1x CD/DVD single side burner, no HDD (hard file).
HDD: thant's the point - using as an HDD replacement:
disconnected the only 3.5"HDD and installed instead:
mainboard - cable - 3,5" to 2,5" reduction - 44pinPATA to CF-card adapter - 256MB Compact Flash Card=sda1.
The swapfile (pupswap.swp) uses 128MB.
Red "storage full warning" appears on top of the screen - sda1 has four MB left free.
What for this exercise -
I'm planning to swap the HDD 8GB(customer replacable, W98SE and SUSE9.x) of my notebook (300MHz / 192MB Memory / USB1.2 / softmodem / CD ROM) against a 8GB 133x compactflash card (modifying an old HDD to carry the adapter with access for changing the CF card).
This entry is just to give feedback and to say MANY THANKS !
ciao Hubi
P.S.: repeated today this exercise by using an P-ATA (44pin=2,5"HDDs) to SD-card adapter, hence using a 2GB SD-Card as sda1.

ASRI éducation

ext2 partition without swap

#33 Post by ASRI éducation »

I am not lucky ...

Nobody has an idea to unlock my problem?

I studied the script installation and I do not understand what's wrong.

Thank you in advance
:)

sidders

#34 Post by sidders »

ASRI eduction- This is on my to-do list. We did experiment with it some time ago, and dropped the full install part, however i have just looked through and Technosaurus came up with some code that will look at the ammount of RAM installed and then make a decision to do a Full or Frugal install. The full install could look back on that result and then double to make the appropriate swap.
I havn't looked at it for a while and am going to do a few full install's using the PUI and see exactly what is happening in the near future. Still working on SFS icons.

Heres the link to the posts
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 751#311751

ASRI éducation

#35 Post by ASRI éducation »

Sidders, a big thank you for this information.

I immediately test the link you suggest.

:lol:
Last edited by ASRI éducation on Sun 04 Oct 2009, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#36 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ASRI: A swap file is a quick way to create swap space without having to repartition your hard drive. If you use the "free" command, you should see the swap file memory in use.

However, if you prefer to build your hard drive partitions before installing Puppy, you just need to modify the one-click scripts. For example, in the full-install script, you could:

delete lines 74-85
modify lines 89 and 90
delete lines 92-94

ASRI éducation

#37 Post by ASRI éducation »

@ rcrsn51
Thank you for this information.
:wink:

inkheart

Re: How to do a One-Click Installation of Puppy

#38 Post by inkheart »

rcrsn51 wrote:...Here are the steps to do a one-click automated install.

We will assume that you already have a Live CD that works on the target machine and you are familiar with basic Puppy operations. Read here for more information. (If you want to install Puppy in a dual-boot setup with Windows, read here.)

Download and extract the package of installers below. It contains installation scripts that will do an automatic hard drive install of any official Puppy version back to 2.15. There are scripts for both frugal and full configurations. For most machines, a frugal install is the simpler, faster choice. It also gives you the flexibility to add other features to Puppy, like Open Office.

These installers will erase the hard drive, format a new partition, create a swap file, install Puppy and set up the GRUB bootloader. They should work on any machine with standard hardware.

Download and extract the "installers" folder. Copy it to a flash drive or diskette. Or, if you already have the target machine on-line with the Live CD, just download the package directly and store it in /root.

Boot the target computer off the Live CD.
If there is an existing version of Puppy on the hard drive or if you have been storing a pup_save file there, you must boot up by typing the option:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
Leave the CD in the drive.

Mount the flash drive or diskette, open the "installers" folder and click on the icon labelled "frugal-install". Before installation starts, you will get to answer a YES/NO question.

When the installation is done, finish with a shutdown/reboot and make a pup_save file. Your computer is ready to run Puppy on the next start.

I tried to follow the above steps. After the installation, i rebooted the computer. When puppy loaded, i tried to unmount the cd, but it said that i couldn't 'cause it was being used. I thought that if Puppy were installed on the hard disk, i won't need the cd anymore?

jamalexa

Custom Boot CD

#39 Post by jamalexa »

I used Browserlinux and added a .sfs and some pets, I created and renamed my pup_save file and ran this from the live cd. How can I take your "steps to make a custom boot CD for recyclers " and create my own boot cd? I want to install my customized Browserlinux for seniors in my church and community on donated computers. Please help.

knuesel

#40 Post by knuesel »

following directions below. right mouse button step does not yield "window/enter path"...

directions:

Start "Menu | Filesystem | ROX-Filer file filemanager".

Click with the right mouse button and choose "Window | Enter Path" from the context menu.

Type this into the box labelled "Goto" (do not omit the slash at the end): /mnt/hda2/boot/grub/

You are now inside the /mnt/hda2/boot/grub/ folder.