Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 01 Aug 2014, 00:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
No Video - strange
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
drcode

PostPosted: Sun 05 Jul 2009, 17:51    Post subject:  No Video - strange  

Hi All,

I have very strange problem,I am using puppylinux 4.21, After I install I can run xorg with video and mouse.

After I reboot , I don't get any video, I see black screen.

I boot again and try to run xwin, now I can see video but I don't have mouse?

Why xwin work and after I boot it dosn't?

Thanx
DrCode
potchan

PostPosted: Mon 06 Jul 2009, 11:17    Post subject: Some basic checking (Nerds NEVER admit they ever do)  

Hi drcode and Team,

Try xvesa/low resolution, PC nearby works fine with it ?, download/burn ISO again and VERIFY burn to green window, go Ms' (YUCHHHH!!) if it repeats there, same try with another Distro', open PC cover and 'shake vid'card baby' gently on m'board ! then unplug PC and unplug home AC for 5 min' (make shure Grandmah's lung machine isn't needed right now).

Afterwards (if failed) - seek help from some greater minds than me. Yet, my 'ape solutions' take some minutes and work for about 80% of cases.

Good luck. Wink

drcode

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009, 01:22    Post subject: It worked , but after reboot it dosn't again  

Hi Potchan,

I did what you have recommended and it worked.

but after I reboot it got into blackscreen again.

I have a filling that its some hardware problem or irq sharing or some.

Is there good tool in linux that can check hardware irq problems and so?

Thanx
DrCode
potchan

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009, 02:20    Post subject: In that case ...  

It looks something unique to your machine so some hokuspokus.pet cleaner won't help. So try to run Slaxer_Pup on same machine. On this nice piece the tweaks are marked in some snowish icons to differ them from others.

If SOLVED! this way (and you still wish to stay 421, since Slaxer is 412 based) I recommend on three more steps:

1. Ape try - Puppies bolding activated files on current sessions, so find something like /usr/lib/somelib.so or probably /sbin/something or /usr/sbin/sowhat and try to copy it later to your 421 tree and save it. If it 'steps' on another 'somelib.so' - HOLD IT! save savefile to 1 or two lower level folder to backup it. REBOOT into your original savefile mode and then put a BLOCKED before original THEN copy 'somelib.so' or friends inside. Before doing this try to evaluate sizes. If new and old are very different - it hints you're on the way.

Later you can reconstruct savefile from backup with "puppy pfix=ram" bootcode. Unmount disks before restarting again.

If failed -

2. Try Big_Bass and Slaxer_Pup discussions on this. A tip for the lazyones: try "2" first. They don't bite and maybe skipped your lonely post till now.

3. Some /root/.xinitrc tweaks, or something it hasn't got that /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin contains. Search and ask Masters here in forum.

Seems I'll have my banana break now. Laughing

tempestuous

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009, 03:52    Post subject:  

drcode's problem is also linked to the separate issue of getting TV tuner input working with an ATi All-In-Wonder graphics card, so a non-standard kernel module is involved.
This means that using Slaxer_Pup would be a problem.

drcode, I sent you a PM yesterday which you haven't read yet.
potchan

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jul 2009, 09:57    Post subject: A tiny remark on kernels (and ATI too)  

I never suggest using Slaxer on regular basis, because of several user-POV prob' including the kernel one. However, Slaxer is a good 'muse' for various HW solutions.

I woldn't dare touching kernels and wish others not to, unless they are really capable of its outcomes (such as fails and stuff). Slackware - in its exhausting setup - gives us the kernel choices, which is - in my POV - perfectly 'undrinkable' experience to the normal user.

BTW, the 421 kernel is quiet friendly to most uses, as on my 3 PCs who have different ages, d'oldest one from 2001.

Another thing: ATI is problematic. See reference at compiz-fusion page, and files probably involved:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=221933#221933

Cheers ! Smile

drcode

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul 2009, 02:02    Post subject: ok , more info  

Hi All,

I did some progress, I have took all cards from the pc and had only ATI AWI(mach65).

I reboot and got console prompt, when I type xwin it load ok.

If I reboot again it get back into blackscreen then I did reboot again and search for /var/log/Xorg.log , I got suprize there is no such log(I think it load xvesa for some how).

Then try to use my usb pci (NEC 70210) , I can see there is an IRQ confilict (IRC 5) with ATI card,I have also try to use pci=bios , it show that IRQ 5 and IRQ 10 is disablee,The usb dosn't load.

The card uses 3 diffrent IRQ .

I can force kernel to disable irq or irq conflict?

Thanx
Gadi
tempestuous

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jul 2009, 02:29    Post subject:  

drcode wrote:
search for /var/log/Xorg.log , I got suprize there is no such log

That should be /var/log/Xorg.0.log

drcode wrote:
I have also try to use pci=bios

That should be
Code:
pci=biosirq

drcode wrote:
Then try to use my usb pci (NEC 70210) , I can see there is an IRQ confilict (IRC 5) with ATI card

Try to re-order the PCI cards.
Usually (but not always) the graphics card should take the highest PCI slot.
Then move the USB2.0 card into the other PCI slots until you find a position where the IRQ's don't conflict.
drcode

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug 2009, 06:13    Post subject: some progress  

Hi All,

I found that if I put all card inside the motherboard (ISA Modem,ISA SoundCard,PCI NIC,PCI USB Adapter,PCI All In Wonder) the mouse working again.

but still the blackscreen in XORG remain.

Can I use All In Wonder without Xorg?

Thanx
DrCode
tempestuous

PostPosted: Sat 15 Aug 2009, 21:31    Post subject:  

I really think it would be worth trying your All-in-wonder card on a different (more recent) motherboard.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Video
Jump to: