Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 15:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Can't save to multisession DVD in USB drive? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
mcalex

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug 2009, 10:02    Post subject:  Can't save to multisession DVD in USB drive? (Solved)  

Hi all

I'm having trouble with saving the session to the live-dvd. I followed all the instructions, and have created a multi-session dvd with pburn in PL. When I shut down, puppy asks if I want to save and so I tab to the [Save to CD] button and hit <enter>. The screen goes black and then i get a message:
'If stuck here long time ensure cd tray is closed and hit enter' (or similar).

This line appears twice, then there's a pause (short time only Smile), then the DVD tray ejects and I get a message:
'Have saved session to live-DVD
(unless it has not, which is an error)'

Talk about an each-way bet Smile. This box tells me to hit enter to close the tray (after optionally removing the media).

When I reboot with that DVD, I have to go through the startup stuff (identifying the mouse type, keyboard and Xorg/Xvesa setup options) before I'm taken to the normal startup screen with the 'Welcome! Click here for getting-started information' clicky , where all the options that I configured in the previous session have reverted back to defaults.

I'm pretty sure I've followed the instructions right. When I look at the DVD in windows (right click, properties, InCD tab - from the DVD item in the folder pane in windows explorer) it says it is a DVD-R Sequential Recording; as opposed to the DVD i burned from windows to start the process which is just a DVD-R in the same tab.

2 questions. 1) how do i find out what is going on with the session saving? is there a log file somewhere, or can I set some options to see output similar to the way pburn shows what is happening when it is burning a DVD?
2) can i save the session, manually, before shutting down, so I can check the DVD has had further info saved without having to go through all the startup configuration fun?

tia,

mcalex

<edit>
oh. Sad
have just found the burner specs.
writing type:
DVD+R: Incremental Write (Multi Session Support)
DVD-R: Disc at Once, Incremental Recording (Multi-Border Support)

Looks like I gotta get me some DVD+R discs

a gotcha if anyone else has the same burner.

oh well, the success/error message was right, i suppose Wink

Optorite DD1601 DVD Burner
Using Puppy 4.2.1
scabz

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug 2009, 12:01    Post subject:  

yeah i have had this same problem also never thought to use dvd+r.
please post back results.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 18 Aug 2009, 15:50    Post subject:  

I doubt that the problem is caused by your DVD burner. More likely the burning program.

Use a DVD+RW and burn the Puppy iso to it with Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2cd in whatever version of Puppy you've been able to get to boot so far. Then boot the newly-burned DVD+RW, configure it, and shut down choosing to save to the DVD. That's how I create a multisession DVD and it's never failed me. Let us know what happens next. You can use a DVD+R, -R or -RW but +RW works as well as any, and Burniso2cd will burn to a used DVD+RW without having to blank the disk first. You can even try different Puppy isos out by burning them to the multisession Puppy DVD+RW you just booted from, and creating a new multisession Puppy DVD with the newly-burned DVD..

scabz

PostPosted: Wed 19 Aug 2009, 12:07    Post subject:  

yeah i have never used a dvd rw but have tried a dvd-r and it has never worked for me, and i always use Burniso2cd. i have never tired pburn for iso's.
I will try dvd-rw thanks.
mcalex

PostPosted: Sat 22 Aug 2009, 07:42    Post subject:  Live-DVD problem - nothing to do with USB drives
Subject description: Solved

Hi Flash

Quote:
More likely the burning program.

I had tried burniso2cd first - and it didn't work - but didn't have my notepad and so hadn't written down the steps. On my 2nd attempt I tried the alternative suggested in the 'Creating a Puppy Linux LiveCD / DVD' and made sure I had pen and paper with me. I do remember burniso2cd giving me the 'If stuck here long time message' that I mentioned in the OP

Quote:
I doubt that the problem is caused by your DVD burner

... but the specs I provided are what's written on the box. It only supports multi session on DVD+R. (I have no idea what multi-border support is, which you get with DVD-Rs, but it mustn't be as good as multi session.)

Anyways, I grabbed me a box of DVD+Rs and a single DVD+RW (coz they're expensiver). I booted from the disc created in Windows, used PBurn to multi-session burn the ISO to a DVD+R, and all worked, then, when I rebooted from that DVD and hit the Save to CD option at close, I got me a new session, which puppily happily loaded at reboot.

All fixed. Smile
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge » Multi-session live-CD/DVD
Jump to: