How to use BrowserLinux on multi-session DVD from USB drive?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Scot

How to use BrowserLinux on multi-session DVD from USB drive?

#1 Post by Scot »

I am trying to build a bootable DVD with a premade save session on it for use at work (so it doesn't touch the HDD).

I am following the instructions found here at http://www.puppylinux.com/multi-puppy.htm but growisofs doesn't seem to be doing anything, its just opened a window and is just sat there.

I don't know if these factors maybe the problem...

I am running it from the BrowserLinux puplet.
The DVD/RW is an external USB model.
The disk is a Taiyo-Yuden DVD+R x16 (I think it is a +R - its unlabeled).

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I doubt that the type of DVD you're using has anything to do with your problem. I've run multisession Puppy from every kind of DVD except DVD-RAM, and they all worked fine. I'd use a DVD+RW at least until I got the bugs worked out, but it really doesn't matter..

I've never tried a USB drive. If I understand you correctly, your live DVD boots all right from the drive. If that's true, I'd say it ought to work as a multisession. The newly-burned live DVD is turned into a multisession DVD when you choose to save to the DVD at shutdown. Exactly how that happens I have no idea. I just know it works. :) It's possible that the script which creates a multisession DVD doesn't know to look for an external DVD.

How did you create the live DVD? The only way I can guarantee that the DVD is burned correctly is to use Puppy's Menu -> Multimedia Puppy -> Burniso2cd to burn the Puppy iso to the DVD. By the way, Burniso2cd will burn a DVD+RW without having to blank the disk first. This speeds things up considerably while you're trying out different things.

I'd recommend this:
  • 1. download the regular Puppy 4.3 beta 1 iso file (about 100 MB.)
    2. With the live Puppy DVD you already have (I'm assuming that BrowserLinux is a version of Puppy,) burn the 4.3 beta 1 iso you just downloaded to a DVD+RW in the external drive, using Burniso2cd.
    3. Shut down the computer without saving anything. (Since the BrowserLinux DVD is running entirely in RAM, you can do that by simply turning off the power. It won't hurt anything.)
    4. Boot the newly-burned DVD+RW from the same drive where you just burned it. If it boots, then do some configuring (set up your LAN connection, make sure the audio works, make some personal adjustments, etc.)
    5. Menu -> Shutdown -> reboot and choose to save to the DVD. When the DVD reboots see if your settings were saved.
    6. Repeat step 5 again, to make sure that the multisession works past the first session.
If multisession Puppy 4.3 beta 1 works for you, then the problem was either in BrowserLinux or the burning program you used to burn BrowserLinux to the DVD.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]