The oldest Puppy Dog in the kennel?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
aahhaaa

The oldest Puppy Dog in the kennel?

#1 Post by aahhaaa »

Some of you may remember those '80s PCs: DOS/CGA, no mouse, no CD- the 3.5" floppy had just been invented... this one now houses my P-II mobo after some extensive metal hacking. These machines had a big flip lever on the side to turn them on- I used a doorbell button on the front instead. My 1st Gates-free machine!:D

It's not staying black, that's primer; but it isn't gonna be Billie Beige either...
Attachments
PupMachineS.JPG
(12.42 KiB) Downloaded 1888 times
PupMachIntS.JPG
(27.42 KiB) Downloaded 1915 times

mayakovski

Re: The oldest Puppy Dog in the kennel?

#2 Post by mayakovski »

Wow thoes specs are amazing, how did you get Puppy to run with 256K or 512K of RAM?
I find I need at least 32MB of RAM. :lol:

"Epia M10000 ITX, 512K RAM, Puppy 1.0.5
Tyan Tiger 400Mhz P-II, 256K RAM, 10 G HD, ActionTec/Lucent Modem on Dialup, Puppy 1.0.5 (on HD)- Firefox w/Pinball theme"

aahhaaa

#3 Post by aahhaaa »

uh, yeah... thanks for the gentle hint! :oops: went further into the 'old days than I thought'! :D (did have a Tandy Model 100 with 32K RAM once- way back in '87)

New Puppy Fan

Re: The oldest Puppy Dog in the kennel?

#4 Post by New Puppy Fan »

mayakovski wrote:Wow thoes specs are amazing, how did you get Puppy to run with 256K or 512K of RAM?
I find I need at least 32MB of RAM. :lol:
I tried to install Puppy 1.0.0 on machine with 133 Mhz processor, 49 Mb Ram, 4,7Gb HD, no CD just floppy. Installation was possible only in text mode. After I made 256K swap partition, I got Puppy installed in full mode.
I was waiting about 2 minutes to open move file using Xing, but no luck. ISA modem didn't work. Everithing moved very SLOOOOW! I thought it was "computer abuse", so I deleted Puppy and returned to Windows 98. :oops:

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Maybe it's possible to shoehorn an ITX into a Commodore PET case? If anyone wants a cga card, I'd be happy to oblige - even have a working colour, cga monitor! Just ask if you need old HW - buyer collects. 4.7Gb drives are overkill, though. Maybe we should focus on a 540Mb HD limit. Setup on modern hardware should be permissible. Any prizes for oldest box? Altair? Amstrad?

alan

#6 Post by alan »

you can shoehorn a mini-itx into the strangest things. Have a look at http://www.mini-itx.com - see the projects section. All of them need Puppy.

aahhaaa

#7 Post by aahhaaa »

perhaps the most amazing thing about the ITX boards is the way they hold their resale value- I watch the M10000 on eBay and used mobos always go for about 75% of a new board- not too shabby for a board that's been out for 3 years! :D

#8 Post by Guest »

The aeroplane was my favourite. A friend has one built into a settee-recliner, with controls on the armrests and screen on the footrest. Reminds me of an old sci-fi story in which folks saved all their cash for 'the operation'. They had their feet replaced with steel pads, their brains hardwired to TV and their digestion plumbed for a nutritious drip. Nirvana, indeed.

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

Above was my inane comment. What is wrong - I ticked the box to keep me logged on!

psy-fi

#10 Post by psy-fi »

was that william gibson's neuromancer?

actually, i'm going to do an acid test....find some ancient hardware and try to throw this OS on it.

i'd ask for donations, but if you had donations, you'd probably just do it yourself. ^_^

i'll see what i can drum up at thrift shops and ebay.

report back later.

#11 Post by Guest »

Don't waste your money. Search roadside skips (US: dumpster), visit local amenity dumps, tour local offices and offer to clear their dusty relics FOC (commercial waste disposal is expensive!).

psy-fi

#12 Post by psy-fi »

my current PC i s actually made of trash...but I haven't seen anything worth scavenging lately, just old printers and the occasional 486. i didn't think of asking offices for their old equipment, i'm always seeing back rooms filled with old pcs collecting dust. for some reason, i never thought to ask if they wanted to get rid of them.

i actually know of a couple "dead" PCs I could try this out on, but i have to deal with the all important "wife factor," which prevents me from having old computer parts laying around my office...

maybe it'd work out better if i tidied up a bit. ^_^

best thing ever found in the trash: netgear 24-port router with pentium III computer.

Sage

#13 Post by Sage »

Yes, tidying up is a great idea. It should include a final solution to the wife issue. Intolerance is unacceptable, but we all make mistakes.