vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 9

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
playdayz

vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 9

#1 Post by playdayz »

Now available with VMWare Tools Installed
All features Work - Copy & Paste - Shared Folders
This is now updated to Version 9 of 2.14X

vmPuppy 2.14RX9 is an installation of Puppy 2.14X9 (prepared by ttuuxxx http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553) in a virtual machine that can be “played
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 13 Sep 2009, 04:39, edited 22 times in total.

fyujj

#2 Post by fyujj »

Congratulations. Slowly but definitely what is really good may be known by people.

playdayz

vmPuppy 2.14X - Now Version 7

#3 Post by playdayz »

Puppy 2.14X has been updated by ttuuxxx to Version 7, so the first message has been updated.

DanYHKim

VMware Player, Puppy and VMware Tools

#4 Post by DanYHKim »

I have not been really happy with VMware tools in Puppy Linux guests, because it doesn't really buy me much. It's nice to have a shared folder and mouse breakout, but it doesn't seem to let me auto-adjust the desktop size the way it does for a Windows guest.

Recently, I loaded browserpuppy ( http://www.browserpuppy.com) into a VMware machine, and found that the mouse cursor breaks out of the VMware window without VMware Tools. (Windows XP host, Browserpuppy guest)

I don't know why this works. I'd love an explanation.

So, now I don't need to install Tools anymore. I can live without the other functions.

playdayz

#5 Post by playdayz »

@ DanYHKim
Recently, I loaded browserpuppy ( http://www.browserpuppy.com) into a VMware machine, and found that the mouse cursor breaks out of the VMware window without VMware Tools. (Windows XP host, Browserpuppy guest)

I don't know why this works. I'd love an explanation.
This 2.14X7 VM does not have vmware tools installed either. It has the mouse breakout because of the X windows driver "vmmouse." You can look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see that on yours too (I bet). 2.14X compiled the tools but I didn't see much use to them either, so this one doesn't have them--keeps it small and fast.

There is a virtual machine of 4.2.1 in VirtualBox that has everything working: autoresize of the desktop, shared folders, copy & paste, all the features. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45028 I go back and forth between the two and like them both.

MinHundHettePerro

#6 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

:D :D :D

Running your vmPuppy 214X8 on my XP-machine at work. Works wonderfully! Thanks :)!

Of course, it would have been even handier with vmware-tools. to enable shared folders and copying & pasting :). Does the tools have to be built in to the package from the beginning, or can they just be dropped in the vmware-tools folder? If the latter, is there anywhere to download the tools already compiled?

Thanks again, I'm very much enjoying sneaking in to 214X from XP :).

cheers/
MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

playdayz

#7 Post by playdayz »

@ MinHundHettePerro

I began with trying to install the vmware tools; ttuuxxxs's 2.14X V5 was the first Puppy variant that I found that was able to compile all the vmware tools so I was happy and optimistic. However, the shared folder tool did not work, even though it had compiled successfully, and I was unable to figure out why. Probably just some little incompatibility but I couldn't find it. Since the vmware mouse and video drivers worked, I just left it there. There is a version of 4.2.1 that runs in VirtualBox and all of the tools work including shared folders and copy and paste between host and guest. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45028 VirtualBox is free so maybe that would work for you.

If you own VMWare Workstation you could try to compile the vmware tools yourself in 2.14X. You would need to install the devx sfs file that ttuuxxx has posted in the first message and also the kernel sources which, as I recall, are in the Puppy 2 folder on ibiblio. If you succeed please let us know. thanks.

MinHundHettePerro

#8 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Greetings :)

The download link for 214X9.zip seems to be broken.

And, yes please, I'd like to give also the VMware tools version a shot :).

cheers/
MHHP

playdayz

#9 Post by playdayz »

MinHundHettePerro

Sorry about the link--those darn little periods--it is working now. I will prep the vmware tools version and upload then post a link.

MinHundHettePerro

#10 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Great, thanks :D/
MHHP

playdayz

vmPuppy with all features working

#11 Post by playdayz »

MinHundHettePerro

HooRay and Hallelujah! We now have a 2.14X9 vmPuppy with vmware tools installed and all of the features working, including copy & paste between host and guest and shared folders between host and guest. The penalty is only another 70MB. Please check the first message in the thread. Thanks for requesting it--it was a good puzzle ;-)

Aitch

#12 Post by Aitch »

Congrats & well done playdayz...

another wish on my list sorted :D

downloading now - I think I should just be able to add the VMimage to the previous version?

Just spotted this when posting my request for TotalPup in suggestions thread

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 968#338968

Can I interest you...? :D

edit: no go, boo hoo - the large rar file

see attached [XP VMPlayer]

any ideas?

2nd edit: re-download is the same
vmdk file is 305mb, maybe memory allocated by default is too small?
the small zip is corrupt

Aitch :)
Attachments
VMPupfail.png
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 5163 times

playdayz

#13 Post by playdayz »

@ aitch, I think I know. I believe it is that one of the virtual disks is greater than 2GB, when it is expanded, or theoretically expanded to 8GB or whatever. I should have thought of that. I believe I know what to do but it might take a day or two. Please watch this space. pd

and you found the small zip to be corrupt? will get an md5 and check, thanks

all tomrrow

Mstar

Shared Directory

#14 Post by Mstar »

Once VMWare Tools is running and you have mounted a shared folder, if you click on VMWare Player at the top of the window, then select "Shared Folders" and highlight whatever is in the window that comes up, "Properties" will activate. Click it and you can specify any directory on the host machine as the shared folder.

It will still be called /mnt/Puppy in ROX, but will be linked to whatever you specified.

Don't know if it's persistent, or if it needs to be done each time you boot. Have not gotten that far.

Works on my machine running XP SP3 as host.

MinHundHettePerro

#15 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

Playdayz,
didn't have time to try it at work until today.
Unfortunately, I get the same error message as Aitch posted above, when trying to run vmPuppy 2.14X9 (w/ vmtools).

Then tried the smaller vmPuppy 2.14X9 (w/o the tools), and I get the same error, vmPupppy 214X8 still works, though, so it can't be the player.

Just a wild hunch, I've tried running both from FAT16 and FAT32 partitions (vmPuppy 214X8 works nicely on both), if vmX9 is slightly larger, should I try to get hold of an ntfs partition to try it on?

Running WinXP SP3 on a modern desktop.

cheers/
MHHP

Aitch

#16 Post by Aitch »

MHHP

The Fat32 limit is file size - it's an M$ thing - file-size limit on FAT32 is (2^32)-1 bytes, or one byte less than a full 4GB.
FAT32 has a 2TB limit on partition size
FAT16 had a 4Gb Partition size limit
- the memory lingers on and confusion arises, OK?

I too, have FAT32, but with a 160Gb hdd, with 5 partitions, including a 4Gb Windoze swap, and 1Gb linux swap

My processor is dual 2.6Ghz and 1Gb ram

Puppy 214x7 LiveCD [my last tester became a keeper] flies even though it's not SMP

I don't have any problems other than occasional video editing clunking.....

I believe playdayz just made the file sizes after decompressing, just a tad large

When ttuuxx decides to slow down, I'll get a later non-VM version :lol:

playdayz

#17 Post by playdayz »

yep aitch & mhhp,

i had set up an 8GB disk--it wasn't really that size of course--now--but it could grow to that size so i guess xp objected. i am sorry for the inconvenience. i hope that was it anyway.

the large one that is in the first message now has a 4GB disk in 2 2GB sections--that they could grow to--but the download is only 178MB now. I also included an md5sum as i should have to begin with.

I had the great idea to check this on my xp32 system. The md5sum was good. It's working. The Shared Folders came up Disabled so I had to go to VMWare Player -> Shared Folders to turn it on and as Mstar said on the previous page I could change the shared folder on the host.
Once VMWare Tools is running and you have mounted a shared folder, if you click on VMWare Player at the top of the window, then select "Shared Folders" and highlight whatever is in the window that comes up, "Properties" will activate. Click it and you can specify any directory on the host machine as the shared folder.

It will still be called /mnt/Puppy in ROX, but will be linked to whatever you specified.

Don't know if it's persistent, or if it needs to be done each time you boot. Have not gotten that far.

The small one probably has the same problem--in addition to any others ;-) I will be checking that tomorrow.
When ttuuxx decides to slow down,
Yeah, right ;-)

btw, you know there is a 4.2.1 that runs in VirtualBox with shared folders and copy & paste.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45028

Aitch

#18 Post by Aitch »

btw, you know there is a 4.2.1 that runs in VirtualBox with shared folders and copy & paste.
yep....but 4.2.1 doesn't have bubbles & gem... :wink:

and it's slower :(

MinHundHettePerro

#19 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

:D :D :D
vmPuppy214X9 with VMware tools works nicely, posting from it now :).

Copy and paste works, so does folder sharing.

The mouse jumps between host and guest more seamlessly than in vmPup214X8 without the tools.

Thanks/
MHHP

Aitch

#20 Post by Aitch »

Curious, MHHP reports it working

I get a message at launch something like
"C:\Users\Sunshine\downloads/puppy214xv9 does not exist there boot will continue with ide disabled"
....went a bit fast to remember exactly

it will run afterwards - just,.... its a bit jerky - is there enough mem allocated?
Benchmark test gives speed equivalent to 1.5G Celeron :(
[2x2.6ghz P4/1Gb ram]

managed to enable file sharing, but couldn't access shares, probably because clicking vmtools didn't do anything....?

any tips?