USB stopped working

Booting, installing, newbie
LooneyToon

USB stopped working

#1 Post by LooneyToon »

Hi,

I tried to run Puppy off a live CD. I currently run windows XP service pack 2. Before, I was using USB keyboard and mouse. Now, my USB ports can't detect anything. my camera doesn't work neither do my keyboard and mouse.

i dont know what to do...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

do you mean that usb no longer works with Puppy ... or do you mean that the usb ports on your compuetr no longer work with Puppy or with Windows?

if just Puppy no longer works, you could easly rename or delete the pup001 file and it should work again ... a crude solution, but it should work

if Puppy and Windows no longer work, it might be a hardware problem ... it's possible that a setting in the bios got changed

LooneyToon

#3 Post by LooneyToon »

Well the USB ports dont work with windows

MU

#4 Post by MU »

I have a PMCIA-card with USB-ports.
Sometimes Puppy does not recognize it.
I turn Power off completely then, and then run "start - Control-Panel - Hardware probe".
Then it works again.

Not exactly your problem, but maybe that works inyour case, too.

Mark

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

I turn Power off completely then
this can sometimes help
Well the USB ports dont work with windows
do they work in Puppy?

if the usb ports work in either Puppy or Windows, then it is probably not a hardware problem

if it's a hardware problem, something may have shortcircuited or open circuited ... these things do happen ... hard drives do fail ... cd/dvd drives break

i think this is the first time anyone has complained that their usb ports stopped working after using Puppy ... that would make me suspect that it might be a hardware problem, and it would have failed anyway, and that it is just a coincidence that you happened to try Puppy when it failed

there have been a few cases where hard drives have failed, but i think these were all found to be hardware problems (drives do fail) and Puppy was not responsible

i remember one person complaining that the install-to-usb script wiped his hard drive ... i looked in the script and saw no references to /dev/hd* ... the script did assume the usb drive would be mounted as a SCSI drive ... i asked if the person had SCSI hard drives, but i don't remember getting a reply ... in that case, there might have been a bug in the script, which could have been fixed, but there was no reply and no one else seemed to have that happen

if usb in Puppy and Windows doesn't work, something in the bios configuration might have changed (Puppy does not touch your bios settings) ... you could try unplugging anything else plugged into the usb ports (one of the devices might have failed) ... you could try another keyboard and/or mouse that you know is working ... if you run Puppy, you could see what Xproc and Usbview tell you in the Control Panel menu (kinda hard to do if your keyboard and mouse don't work)

if Windows doesn't work but Puppy does, that might be a software (maybe configuration) problem in Windows ... it would probably be a good idea to look in the Device Manager program

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

duplicated post