Gecko Wine 1.1.14 Problem

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
badrra

Gecko Wine 1.1.14 Problem

#1 Post by badrra »

I am having problems running Gecko and cant run Counter Strike. I am using wine 1.1.14 and I downloaded and installed Gecko 0.9.0 which is supposed to be the correct version compatible with wine 1.1.4 (wine website). When I run CS it wont render the HTML part of it.

Also updated the registry (regedit) configrued GECKOPATH to point to the correct version of Gecko under "c:\windows\gecko\0.9.0\wine_gecko". Still wont work. Any suggestions.

thanks in advanced.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Gecko will not run from with the union filesystem.
Cure is to link /root/.wine to outside of puppy onto a ext2/3 partition or image file

mike

badrra

#3 Post by badrra »

ok, how do you do that exactly? Would that be using regedit? and point it to linux folder? A little more lite would be of big help. thanks

gposil

#4 Post by gposil »

I've found in the past, that if you install the real MS IE6 under wine you will have no problems.
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Well hopefully you have a linux partition somewhere...(there are symlinks in that folder so fat32/ntfs wont do)
copy (drag and drop) the /root/.wine (hidden) to it.
Delete the original /root/.wine

Drag and drop for its new location the .wine back to /root and choose 'link'...reletive will do.

Try gecko again.

mike
I've found in the past, that if you install the real MS IE6 under wine you will have no problems
.Combine the most insecure application there is with running as root and the ability to write to the mbr and have fun :D

badrra

#6 Post by badrra »

Thanks guys. Right now I dont have an ext3/2 partition on my HD just booting up off a cd driver.

I'll try installing the real thing and see if it works.

Thanks again guys.

technosaurus

#7 Post by technosaurus »

on one of my earlier compilations of wine (can't remember which) I used Opera portable and symlinked all iexplore/gecko references to it - I suppose this would work with any browser, but the one file exe is so convenient.

http://www.kejut.com/operaportable
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

on one of my earlier compilations of wine (can't remember which) I used Opera portable and symlinked all iexplore/gecko references to it - I suppose this would work with any browser, but the one file exe is so convenient.
hmm does that work for embedded content? I will have a try. The lateset wine gecko won't work with the flash plugin so is a bit useless anyway...not to mention doubled in size but yet less functionality. I guess games are a higher priority than serious applications.

If you don't have an ext2/3 partition then an image file can be used..let me know if you want details but if technosaurus does what you need then kool

mike

mikeb

#9 Post by mikeb »

That opera is neat...complete with flash 10...cute....smaller than the flash 10 linux binary alone!!

No use for the embedded though..these are calls through shdocvw.dll.
I use gecko in windows to do this no problem since IE / mshtml is removed completely.
gecko 0.1.0 will not load local flash content and 1.0.0 as mentioned will not run flash at all..these are known wine bugs so maybe one day it will be fixed.

In my case its for a flash editor and the embedded html is for previewing effects.

mike

badrra

#10 Post by badrra »

If you don't have an ext2/3 partition then an image file can be used..let me know if you want details but if technosaurus does what you need then kool
Yes would appreciate that very much. Thanks[/quote]

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Ok basic technique......
In a terminal...

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/path/to/wine.2fs bs=1k count=200000
creates an ~ 200MB empty file .....use a path to somewhere outside of the puppy file system...if its on /mnt/home that would be convenient as then it is mounted at boot.

mke2fs -F /path/to/wine.2fs
formats it to ext2.

Now as it is now wine would not work with it so it needs filling manually.
Assuming wine has been run there will be a /root/.wine folder.
Click on your new wine.2fs and it should be mounted.
Copy the contents of /root/.wine to wine.2fs...rox will do.
Click again on wine.2fs..this should unmount it.
Empty /root/.wine so leaving just the folder.

ok...now to use your image file

mount -o loop /path/to/wine.2fs /root/.wine
If all is ok /wine/.root should have the mounted doo dah and inside you should see wine stuff...if so then wine should work as normal. If so try wine iexplore again...hopefully gecko will install and this time run...may need to close and run it twice.

If (lots of if's) that's all funky then that mount line can be added to /etc/rc.d/rc.local if wine.2fs is in your home folder so it's automatically mounted at boot.

One advantage of an external wine folder is that it remains after a remaster and could be shared between puppies using the same wine version.

hope that makes sense and is correct :D

mike

badrra

#12 Post by badrra »

works like a charm. Thanks mike

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

works like a charm. Thanks mike
I am now in shock :shock:

mike

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

I tested this on windows 2000 and its amazing...fast...scrolls like a dream..and rock solid flash...oh if only linux could do that lol

mike