Broadcom BCM4312 Driver 2.6.21.7 kernel no network (Solved)

Jon_J

Broadcom BCM4312 Driver 2.6.21.7 kernel no network (Solved)

#1 Post by Jon_J »

see 10th and 12th post for solution on this particular netbook
I asked a kind soul to compile the below driver for me for 2.6.21.7 kernel.
Broadcom BCM4312 802.11b/g 14e4:4315 STA Binary Driver
I use the only "4" version of puppy that works on this netbook "412retro"
He did and attached it there. Also I was given a command that loaded it.
Thread here.

After this module loaded, I can select eth1 for my wireless in the network wizard.
Previously, I only had eth0 (ethernet). Now I have both. I can also use the "wireless" button, which wasn't available previously.
So I'm thinking I need to just setup my connection.
According to the network wizard -> wireless, I need to scan for networks first before doing anything else.
I do and it finds nothing. I have 3 access points near me, and mine is the strongest.
I tried setting up the network wizard with all my connection details, but it won't save anything until "after" it has scanned and found a network.
I did a DHCP test, but it didn't seem to find anything either.
I manually entered my IP, DNS and gateway numbers, but it also refused them, saying they are incorrect.
I clicked on WPA/TKP and entered my ESSID and encryption key. After typing in all that, it gave me a wpa_supplicant not found error.
It also didn't save any of the info I typed in the setup screen.
Then I disabled all security on my router, and scanned again. I still found no networks.
I easily find 3 APs under windows xp on this Dell Mini 10 at my location, so my router is not at fault.
Last edited by Jon_J on Wed 16 Sep 2009, 21:41, edited 4 times in total.
[color=green][size=75]Dell Mini-10 tri boot | Win XP, Mint 7 XFCE, Puppy 4.3-small
Intel Core2 Duo 2.80GHz 2GB Ram Win XP sp3
Pentium 3/600Mhz 256MB Ram tri boot Puppy-Full-3.01|1.0.4|Win98
Sharp Zaurus Linux devices SL-C3100 & SL-C3200[/size][/color]

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Firstly bear in mind that the wl driver may not work for your card.

The package for kernel 2.6.25 also disables the ssb and b43 drivers....I believe if these still load they will interfere with the wl driver....

mike

Jon_J

#3 Post by Jon_J »

mikeb wrote:Firstly bear in mind that the wl driver may not work for your card.

The package for kernel 2.6.25 also disables the ssb and b43 drivers....I believe if these still load they will interfere with the wl driver....

mike
I used rmmod on ndiswrapper b43 ssb bcm43xx b43legacy
None were previously loaded.

It looks like I'm SOL with this card and puppy.
I think some people have mini 10's working in ubuntu 9.0.4, but not sure if wifi works.
I was desperately trying to download the near 1 GB ubuntu distro, but I cannot get a clean ISO without md5 errors. It takes almost 9 hours to download, and after about 5 attempts, I gave up.
[color=green][size=75]Dell Mini-10 tri boot | Win XP, Mint 7 XFCE, Puppy 4.3-small

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Well the patchy info on this machine does suggest the wl is the only one the works so I assume ubuntu uses it.

Could you try booting non retro puppy (suggest 4.12) from a usb stick and seeing if you can get wireless running that way to at least see if its feasable

mike

Jon_J

#5 Post by Jon_J »

I booted 412 standard from a USB stick, then installed "broadcom-5.10.27.14-k2.6.25.16.pet"
The WL driver became available in network wizard -> load modules, so I loaded it and then eth1 became available.
I then clicked "wireless" and scanned several times, and switching on/off the wireless key on my netbook.
No networks found.

I've been reading the Dell-Ubuntu forum and there seem to be problems with this card. "half height - mini pci-e" 1397 card (Dell number)
Most users that have problems with this card, have installed ubuntu themselves, but they eventually fix it.
The Dell pre-installed ubuntu Minis seem to work out of the box, according to what I've been reading.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Most users that have problems with this card, have installed ubuntu themselves, but they eventually fix it.
The Dell pre-installed ubuntu Minis seem to work out of the box, according to what I've been reading.
Therein lies the answer it seems.
All I can suggest is further research along these lines

mike

Roy

#7 Post by Roy »

Jon_J,

If I may be so bold....

Intel makes the Intel Pro 3945 a/b/g wireless card that fits in Dell's Mini-9 series; and the Dell Mini-9's use the same half-height Broadcom wireless card that your Mini-10 uses.

I have used Intel's card in my own Mini-9 without issue because Intel's drivers are pre-compiled in many of the Linux kernels, saving users the effort of tracking down additional software. My own Intel 3945 half-height card worked on Puppy's 2.6.21.7 Retro kernel, as I remember calling my Mini-9 a Franken-9 (Frankenstein) on an occasion or two. (What I do not remember is if I had to use one of Tempestuous' .pets for the Intel wireless or if everything was just working out-of-the-box, so to speak.) I never attempted encrypted connections, so cannot comment there.

I know this really doesn't address the Broadcom driver issue, but it might be a feasible work-around that restores functionality.

-Roy

EDIT: Let me add that the Intel 3945 wireless card opened up a whole world of Linux distros that would function out-of-the-box for me. But I have stayed with Puppy because of limited SSD hard-drive space, basic functionality, and quick responsiveness to keyboard inputs.

Jon_J

#8 Post by Jon_J »

I just found a page that shows my card uses the b43 driver.
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... PCIdevices
using this command
lspci -vnn | grep 14e4

I get this
03:00,0 Class 0280: 14e3:4315 (rev 01)

According to the table there, it shows this for my card:

Code: Select all

PCI-ID	   State		                 Chip			     Driver
14e4:4315 	in progress 	BCM4312 802.11b/g - low power 	b43
These drivers are NOT included in puppy 412retro with the 2.6.21.7 kernel.
Where can I find these drivers?
The only one I find installed on my machine, is this one:
/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko
and the one I recently installed:
/lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/wl.ko
I need b43 according to the linked website.

Roy

#9 Post by Roy »

Deleted.

Jon_J

[Solved] Function/Media keyboard settings in BIOS

#10 Post by Jon_J »

I got it working! :)
I had previously set my keyboard function keys in BIOS to enable them as function keys instead of media keys. (these are dual keys accessed with 'FN')
I read a post below on ubuntu forums "[SOLVED] Broadcom 4312 (BCM4312) 14e4:4315 STA Binary Driver HELP"
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1010751&page=4
post #35
So I went into BIOS and hit "Setup Default Values" and rebooted.
I went into windows xp, and enabled my wifi with the keyboard.
Then booted Mint 7, and opened WICD via the taskbar. I have 3 access points showing!! :)
I checked the Hardware Drivers settings app, and it appears the "original" Broadcom STA driver that came with Mint 7 is loaded.

Next I came back to Puppy and checked with "lsmod"
The wl driver is loaded, so I went into "network wizard" and setup my connection. (It is eth0, by the way, not eth1).
Scanning now works and I have WPA working on my home setup. :)
Last edited by Jon_J on Mon 14 Sep 2009, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

mikeb

#11 Post by mikeb »

Ah nice one...had to be something like that as I use the wl driver and its rock solid unlike the b43

mike

Jon_J

#12 Post by Jon_J »

My above post doesn't include some important details.
In the BIOS in the Dell Mini-10, there is also a setting:
enable/disable wireless lan control

If I boot Windows and remove the checkmark in "Enable wireless" application, it somehow accesses the hardware and turns off the wireless radio.
So then if I boot Linux Mint, or Puppy 412retro, the wireless is also disabled and there is nothing I can do to make it available, except to boot Windows and turn it back on.

BTW, I wiped puppy 412retro off my drive and am now using puppy 4.3 beta3
Is there a wl.ko compiled for the 2.6.30.5 kernel puppy?
I tried compiling it myself, but I get a bunch of errors.
I attached the errors in a zip file because they take up too much screen space to post in text here.

Code: Select all

# make -C /lib/modules/2.6.30.5/build M=`pwd`
Attachments
make-errors.zip
(789 Bytes) Downloaded 629 times

mikeb

#13 Post by mikeb »

If I boot Windows and remove the checkmark in "Enable wireless" application, it somehow accesses the hardware and turns off the wireless radio.
So then if I boot Linux Mint, or Puppy 412retro, the wireless is also disabled and there is nothing I can do to make it available, except to boot Windows and turn it back on.
Well when testing windows on a HP2133 there is no wireless yet and when I boot back to puppy I somtimes have manually turn it on so I guess some software control goes on there.
Is there a wl.ko compiled for the 2.6.30.5 kernel puppy?
not that I'm aware of

mike

psuliin

#14 Post by psuliin »

Perhaps someone can help me solve my similar problem.

I'm running Puppy 4.3.1 on an HP Mini 1000 that normally runs WinXP. I appear to have the Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card. I discovered immediately that none of the wireless modules in the module wizard would enable me to detect my interfaces. Here's what I've tried so far:

I used the "More" tab in the wizard to access the bcm43xx module. This still couldn't detect my interfaces.

I downloaded wl.ko and installed it in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/, then I attempted to set it up with depmod and modprobe. modprobe keeps returning a format error.

So, any suggestions?

vanchutr

#15 Post by vanchutr »

Search in this forum you can find three "wl.ko" files (compatible with diiferent kernel)

I suggest these step to make wl.ko active in your distro. (Sometimes i can't not make active broadcom wireless because I don't follow these steps)

1. lsmod -> to find out if "ssb, b43 or b43legacy are loaded?"
2. If any of ssb, b43, b43legacy are loaded then you must remove them all. Use these command: #rmmod b43 - rmmod ssb ...
3. Copy wl.ko in /lib/modules/[your-kernel]/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
4. Run: #depmod -a
5. rmmod wl
(* -> recommended. I don't know why?)
6. modprobe wl
(* If system don't give anny error -> that's good. If you get anny error that means your wl.ko isn't compatible with your system kernel - Download other version of wl.ko)
7. Run network-wizard - You will see eth1 (or something like that - but not eth0)
8. Continue to choose eth1, then AUTODHCP -> OK
9. Now from menu choose Pwireless. Setup WPA or ...
10. That's all

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

Perhaps someone can help me solve my similar problem.

I'm running Puppy 4.3.1 on an HP Mini 1000 that normally runs WinXP. I appear to have the Broadcom BCM4312 wireless card. I discovered immediately that none of the wireless modules in the module wizard would enable me to detect my interfaces. Here's what I've tried so far:

I used the "More" tab in the wizard to access the bcm43xx module. This still couldn't detect my interfaces.

I downloaded wl.ko and installed it in /lib/modules/2.6.21.7/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/, then I attempted to set it up with depmod and modprobe. modprobe keeps returning a format error.
You definately do not have he correct module for the kernel you are using ... I'm not 100% sure anyone has compiled it yet...tempestuous usually does it..look out for extra modules threads for 4.31.

mike